• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

20.5 inch wood on 20 inch lathe

image.jpeg

I would like to turn this, as got kiln dried. But it will only fit outboard on my lathe. Never turned there nor is my lathe set up for it. Has any one jerry rigged a tool rest for turning on the out side? Need input and suggestions. My lathe is a oneway 2036.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
View attachment 24591

I would like to turn this, as got kiln dried. But it will only fit outboard on my lathe. Never turned there nor is my lathe set up for it. Has any one jerry rigged a tool rest for turning on the out side? Need input and suggestions. My lathe is a oneway 2036.

Years ago I needed to turn a 16" ring to go around a table base. I had access to a $50 dollar garage sale 12" swing lathe. I just backed a heavy bench up to the lathe (also mounted on a higher bench). I even had to make a face plateout of a chunk of aluminum. All I had was the outboard thread.

I then ripped a 4X6 at an angle and topped it with a purple heart off-cut to serve as a tool rest. Worked remarkably well. I was so ignorant I turned the piece from a beautiful hunk of old growth doug fir that came off the Mt. St. Helens eruption of 1980. Yeah, it took more than a little bit of sanding. ;) That ring has been kicking around the floor of a halibut longliner for 15 years and has held up remarkably well.

Or you could knock off a couple of the bits sticking out and fit it on the inboard side.
Unless you are dead set on full natural edge, it looks like you will be taking off stuff around the edges to get it balanced.

Or you could knock off a couple of the bits sticking out and fit it on the inboard side.
Unless you are dead set on full natural edge, it looks like you will be taking off stuff around the edges to get it balanced.
Id like to leave edge, maybe pick out bark leave Burl edge. Never turned anything like this. Open to help and design help. from people who turned things like this. Get it in my hands early next week. It's 3 inch thick and kiln dried. 20.5 inch one way 18 inch the other. I was thinking putting a saw horse or build frame on outboard to use as tool rest or bolt a piece of bed frame across . I quess if made round would still have a lot of edge and then it would fit on lathe. Will have to google for pics what it would look like if do that. Or I guess better yet draw a compass line around to see what I would loose.

I have seen (cartoon) of turning of blank off of propped up axle of truck....wheel taken off.....I think the tool rest was snow plow blade.....think outside the box

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have seen (cartoon) of turning of blank off of propped up axle of truck....wheel taken off.....I think the tool rest was snow plow blade.....think outside the box

I have seen the Video and the guy. He calls himself the Crazy Canadien and he does all sorts of presentations at the woodworking shows.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have. I've done it 2 ways. The first time I slid my floor standing drill press over and rigged up a tool rest onto the table and then cranked it up high enough to work. It worked but I was turning a piece platter about 14" on a 12" lathe. The second time I did it was on a 16" lathe. I slid the headstock to the end and rigged up a stand made from a truck rim and a piece of pipe. Had to pile rocks in it to make it heavy enough and it still wanted to move around. Ideally in both situations I would have been better off rigging somewhat to bolt or tie it to the lathe to make it more rigid.
Here is the perfect solution but of course expensive and kind of hard to build. You'll have to click on the outboard turning attachment. I couldn't send just that part.
https://vicmarc.com/index.php?optio...ayout=0&latest=0&topten=0&recent=0&Itemid=528

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I have the large outboard for the Oneway 2436. It's a stack of cash and I probably wouldn't have it if I didn't come with my lathe. It is a great help for hollowing though. Powermatic makes a floor standing toolrest for their lathes so you could either buy it or copy it. Sam Angelo has a less expensive option. He filled a 5 gallon bucket with rock/cement and the bucket had a post coming out of the center to accept the toolrest. You can see it being used here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQsQTbwXZI

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I bought a Powermatic outboard stand when I got my lathe. I’ve only used it once so far, but it was nice. HEAVY !!

DA1333DB-6544-4B20-A2B6-6240EE3412EE.jpeg

I love this site. So many ideas, from so many good turners.

I'm making one.

I think if I combine a few of these ideas I'll end up with something awesome. Thinking need to attach it somehow to lathe. Would dread a catch and it tilts rest into turning!

I recently turned a 36" dia. Because of the log and profile I was shooting for, I had to turn "between centers" which, to me, means spur drive and live center with LOTS of pressure. The "sub-bed" is 4" H-beams and the Oneway 17" extension sits on top with risers to put the live center in line with the spindle. The log was very off balance and weighed over 1000-lbs - never got it much over 150-rpm.
A big commitment that requires lots of room - let me know if you would like more detail.

08-25Oneway 2424 - 4650-002.JPG

I recently turned a 36" dia. Because of the log and profile I was shooting for, lI had to turn "between centers" which, to me, means spur drive and live center with LOTS of pressure. The "sub-bed" is 4" H-beams and the Oneway 17" extension sits on top with risers to put the live center in line with the spindle. The log was very off balance and weighed over 1000-lbs - never got it much over 150-rpm.
A big commitment that requires lots of room - let me know if you would like more detail.

View attachment 24599
Last time I checked oneway site, I didn't notice an outboard setup like that for sale for my 2036. :rolleyes::(

I had to build it all myself. After a few seriously stupid solutions, Oneway suggested a 1/2" thick plate between the legs and body of the lathe that would extend out for the H-beams plus the risers that lift the 17" extension to be same level as the in board bed.
I didn't have the money to do their outboard system - the logs was 36" and 40"+ long.
Glenn,
Two approaches: 1) Modify the lathe and go looking for a log or, 2) when a log finds you...deal with it.
Sounds like you have a log that can deliver a masterpiece. After all, it's all about the log - we're just whittlers.

Back