• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2005 Symposium pictures available

Website
www.woodturner.org
The 2005 Symposium pictures have been posted. The announcement is on the homepage. Check 'em out! If you missed the symposium this year, we hope can attend the 2006 symposium. The 130 pictures on 11 new webpages are here:
- symposium 2005 photos
- Oz Exhibition 2005 photos

Each year the AAW produces 3 videos of the symposium. The videos are targeted for availability by October 2005. Videos from prior symposiums are described and available here on the videos products page .

Corrections to the photos are welcome:
- any broken links you find (please send me the URL/page where the link is broken)
- typos: incorrect labels/names, etc
- obvious dimension errors (no one lists dimensions at the symposium!)
(i.e 5"d instead of 3"d)

I won't accept photo replacements for website photos. Otherwise I would probably get 134 more photos!

Thanks to the following folks who contributed photos:
- me :)
- Johnny Tolly
- Mike Schwing
- Bob Hawks

Sorry this took so long. Much of the delay was due to the loss of Little Buddy, our beloved cat. We have now determined a coyote took him.

Please enjoy the photos - they represent a great symposium.

Last edited:
Jeff Jilg said:
Sorry this took so long. Much of the delay was due to the loss of Little Buddy, our beloved cat. We have now determined a coyote took him.

Sorry, Jeff. Our "Sox" was 23 when we laid her to rest in her favorite spot. As an "in & out" cat, she often came home with "battle damage," some of which required some rather extensive repairs. We then made the decision that our next friend(s) would be strictly insiders to save us (and them) the trauma. Don't miss the trophies on the front porch either.

Thanks again for the pix. Thanks also for a great job here and on the main website; a plate well deserved.

Mark

Website
www.woodturner.org
Thanks Mike and Mark.

Wow Mark - that's very amazing to have a cat that long. What a great companion.

Mike - thanks for all your help and the pix for this project. The pix were posted within 2 weeks and longterm a lot of people will see them this year and in the years ahead.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Brother, I do feel your pain.

Bear, who was brother to Lisa, was abandoned by our neighbors when they moved away. The most affectionate cat I have ever seen. Passed away in December of last year.
Yes, I am a cat man.

Attachments

• bear.JPG
    bear.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 161
Cats

While I deal mainly with canine orthopedics (most cats don't make it to us!!!!), I am a cat lover at home. I have a 17 year old hyperthyrid buddy (Jesse) that accompanies me into the garden and basement to wood turn (have to make sure the shavings are cleaned up or she thinks it is the greatest kitty litter!!) and watches out for me-my "watch cat". A friend called me 2 wks ago about a 5 wk old kitten-I said "NO" then she said it was a siamese (I have owned 2 that that have lived 17-18 years each)- I said OK.
It has been 2 weeks and it little varmint is so cute, and altho the older tricolor puts him in his place, I think she'll love the company, expecially the weeks I am working and gone for 12 hours a day. Hang in there you guys. It is the circle of life, :eek: Gretch

Website
www.woodturner.org
OT: cats and lathes

Gretch, you can't post a great note like that without posting a pic also. That is contrary to the forum rules. :)

To post a picture when you are in this text part of the forum, just select "manage attachments". This is covered in detail in the "how to post pictures" note at the start of the forum.

We have determined thru discussions with folks throughout the neighborhood that coyotes have returned to the fringes of the neighborhood. And our nextdoor neighbor reported a horrible "cat fight" right outside her bedroom the night he disappeared. Unfortunately she did not get out of bed to investigate or to scare the "cats" off. Our conclusion is that a coyote got him and carried him off that night. We had signs up all over the neighborhood and talked to all the neighbors. So now we at least have some closure.

There is not an hour that goes by without thinking of him. He was as loyal as they get. He never missed a breakfast or a dinner in his life. Now he is gone. We are going to start a coyote campaign to inform other neighbors. This is a suburban location. The only reason for coyotes to live here is to eat pets. The city will catch and euthanize them.

I believe coyotes have a place in the wild. They do not have a place here. If I can prevent another tragic pet death for one of my neighbors then it may help bring a better end to Little Buddy's untimely death.

Back