• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2006 Resolutions !

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
2006 Resolutions???

what's your 2006 commitment?

I resolve that i will not buy any more shop accessories until i get installed the ones i acquired in 2005/04!

-- get my 3hp i/r air compressor installed in the pump house
...replace 110v line w/220v -install sub panel
...pour concrete pad
...!rent muscle to move the 300lb compressor to the new pad
...setup auto drain
...run air line back to shop
...build two drain loops
i'm tired just planning this all out

-- get the hoist installed above lathe
...install 2 2x6 in loft
...drill ports through ceiling

--fabricate steel arm for dental light over lathe
...arm has to pivot from wall to lathe
...handle the weight fully extended

anyone else have unfinished 'projects'? ...

oh yea, and there's the standard 'lose weight' and 'buy some new shoes' ... :D

Last edited:
Website
www.woodturner.org
Sometimes I think my whole shop is an unfinished project. Mostly because of the hundreds of roughouts which just kept growing in number. The new rule for me is no new wood....I'm going to finish out some of the turnings which are already dry and ready.

I have that typical woodturner's syndrome - can't refuse any neat wood. The cool thing is that there is now a great selection of items to choose from in the garage whenever I want to finish a piece!

And last year I got real interested in building out a big hollowing rig but that never happened. It just sounds like fun to be able to make a 3 foot deep vessel. The rig will get built but I'm not in a big hurry.

2006 resolutions

I have made several resolutions/goals as it pertains to my Turning and WW'ing

Try to get a piece published in a magazine

Attend the 2006 AAW show

Have my pieces displayed in at least 2 galleries

Hope that some of my pieces sell at above galleries

Finish the computer center that has gone unfinished for 2.5 years during my turning hiatus (makes SWMBO very happy)

Spend more time with family and kids then work (so I dont feel as guilty about me time in the shop)

More wood has to be something really special, or semi special and free as I have a good amount of it around.

R

Ron Sardo

-e- said:
anyone else have unfinished 'projects'? ...

That depends on who you ask.

My wife and I have different opinions on this subject.

Ha ha...! I'm the 'King' of unfinished projects. That's my typical M.O. I start a project, get about 90-95% done and then get bored and move on. I have bathroom remodels, windows, walls and floors, and that doesn't even include shop related stuff. I always think 'I'll get back to it once I finish this...' Fortunately I have a very, VERY understanding and forgiving wife. (She even encourages me to buy tools. Ya gotta LOVE that!)

Ziffy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I resolve to not buy any more power tools. oops just bought a used Dewalt 735 planer.
I relove to not buy anymore lathe tools, I have a ton, Oops bought a new spindle gouge at Highland Hardware
I resolve not to make any more resolutions because apparently I'm not going to abide by them anyway.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Resolutions.

I resolve to ...

• Turn at least 50 % of the my wood pile.
  • Get my McKnaughton Coring tool working for me properly (this is mostly my lack of understanding, but Mahooney's dvd is clearing that up)
  • Get my 8" jointer up and running.
  • Finish the Kitchen remodel this year.
  • Sell some woodworking projects this year.

Brodie

My brother in law says my interests have interests...

Oh man do I have unfinished projects...

The latest includes:

For Turning:

1) Make grinding jigs for my lathe tools.
2) Make lathe stand for the lathe.
3) Make tool stand for the tools.
4) Make steady rest for spindle and hollowing work.
5) Make parting tool from that spring steel strap.
6) Make chatter tool from that bandsaw blade.
7) Finish various bowls in progress.
8) Take photos of finished work and posting it.
9) Cut down 3 problem trees in the yard and prep for turning.

For the shop:

1) Finish wiring the other half of the shop.
2) Install drawers and fronts in existing cabinets.
3) Finish painting the shop.
4) Install windows.
5) Finish laying out the shop.
6) Build chop saw table.
7) Finish lumber rack and get it all off the cabinets, floor, tables saw, router and any other place it is laying around.
8) Remove all yard sale items from the shop and get them thrown away, sold, or given away... (but the in line skate wheels will get used on Step #4 for the lathe)
9) Tune up table saw and band saw.
10) Build awning for doors.
11) Put handle on door.

For the turning club:

1) Write newsletter. (always)
2) Work on Logo.
3) Put up website.
4) Contact potential members and promote club.

For the house:

1) Finish caulking/painting the doors and windows.
2) Make mantel above the fireplace.
3) Make plate rack for the kitchen.
4) Headboard for the bedroom.
5) Small cabinet for telephone.
6) Finish gutter mods and replace water damage areas.

Projects for others:

1) Finish rockers for small rocking chair.
2) Finish powder measure for Dad.
3) Finish candle lanterns for brother.
4) Make icicles for Mom.
5) Make box for club pres.
6) Make table top for club pres.
7) Find switches for Delta lathe, install and get running.

And that's what I can remember off the top of my head...

Whew! I'm tired...

Time to take a nap....

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
-e- said:
oooohhhh ,.,...the 735 ... have you used it yet?

I have it's so much better than my old Delta. I bought it used and the blades need sharpening so the finish isn't that great yet but there is absolutely no snipe whatsoever and the board measured within a few thous of the exact thickness from side to side over the whole lenght. I'm having trouble ordering the manual from Dewalt. They don't have it online and have you send an e-mail to order the manual. They haven't gotten back with me at all so I guess I'll try it over the phone.

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
underdog said:
My brother in law says my interests have interests...

Oh man do I have unfinished projects...

you're making me look good! ... but then, i didn't include the maintenance stuff -- i'm way beyond LATE on these ... paint house, fix sewer line, rewire shop, remodel bathroom, remodel kitchen, new driveway, build new studio ...
oh well, guess i'll sell the house 'as is' and buy a house with new projects just so i can clear the list!

My resolution for 2006 should be about 4.3 megapixels. I'm hoping to have at least 3.7 effective.

heh, heh,
Dietrich :D

As a new woodturner, I hope to have some of the problems you folks have to make resolutions for 2007. I guess this year I would like to learn how to use a skew without catching so much. Maybe get a bandsaw and join a local club.

Now around the house, remodel the Bathroom, Bedroom, Livingroom, and finish the kitchen. (this would make SWMBO happy, and if she's happy, I'm happy :D )

TIME TIME TIME

My Resolutions:
1) Retire, resign or otherwise reduce my commitments to volunteer boards, clubs and other community tasks to which I have given the last 20 years.
2) Say no to any new volunteer boards, clubs and other community tasks to which I have given the last 20 years.
3) Keep track of turning related spending and income AND most importantly do not freek out at the difference.
4) Learn from my first gallery experience that starts this weekend. Gain confidence in my pricing plan.
5) Have plan ready to move my shop from the garage to a new building on our property in 2007 and believe it or not is my wife's idea.

Frank

Swmbo

Frank Kobilsek said:
TIME TIME TIME

My Resolutions:
1) Retire, resign or otherwise reduce my commitments to volunteer boards, clubs and other community tasks to which I have given the last 20 years.
2) Say no to any new volunteer boards, clubs and other community tasks to which I have given the last 20 years.
3) Keep track of turning related spending and income AND most importantly do not freek out at the difference.
4) Learn from my first gallery experience that starts this weekend. Gain confidence in my pricing plan.
5) Have plan ready to move my shop from the garage to a new building on our property in 2007 and believe it or not is my wife's idea.

Frank

Remember Frank

She. . . .Who . . . .MUST. . . .Be. . . .Obeyed :D

m

M

mkart

Well this has nothing to do with turning but I started a fireplace mantel two years ago and never finished. I will complete this thing in 2006! Unless my need to turn interferes in which case I will keep the same resolution for 2007.
Matt

Well...
I was up in the shop last night... starting a new project, when I wondered about some date or other and looked at the calendar... That's when I noticed that it was a 2002 calendar... :eek:

Time to put another calendar in the shop and actually do the things that were outlined on it. :D

Mark & -e-

Woodturners wive's are the best people in the world.

Her Shop idea comes from a few issues. 1) She is pretty sure if I have to walk 10 yards from the shop to the house more chips will get brushed off than the 10 feet I walk now. 2) My truck sets out but her car gets pretty dusty. 3) No heat in the garage she thinks I might be more comfortable in a nice heated space. 4) My best friend is also my insurance agent and he is pretty sure I will burn the house down eventually and would rather I just burn the shop down. He thinks I will be excited to get a check after the fire for a new shop but a check won't fix loosing the house.

Most importantly she really likes my turning. I am fairly productive for a part timer. In 2005 I sold about $1000 worth of goods and will debut in a gallery this weekend. I have never had a hobby that so many of my friends and family shared thier enthusiasm for as much or as often. In my tiny corner of the garge I have a guest chair which at least 5 hours a week someone is sitting in watching me turn and visiting. I think it is great practice for someday when I am a famous demostrator to be able to talk and turn at the same time. I am a lucky man!

Frank

Back