• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2006 symposium page

Website
www.woodturner.org
Happy Holidays (non-denominational of course). The initial build of the 2006 symposium page is done. Please let me know if you see an error.

The content will change over time, especially the demonstrators and vendors. Most of the actual demonstrators will stay the same but there will be topic name changes.

The page is here and I'll post the link on the homepage after a few days to ensure the typos get fixed. I'll be glad to answer content questions in this forum - so that everyone benefits from the answers. :cool2:

As a side comment the webpage grew to 100kb over the last few days. I did a cut'n'paste of the demonstrator excel spreadsheet, which I had saved as a web document from Excel. Microsoft produced a very bloated 80kb HTML document as a result. Sure it looks pretty, but the code is 75kb more than it needs to be. The net of this comment is that the webpage may take longer to load in your browser if you have dialup. If anyone has a tip on how to do it better I'm all ears. Last year I manually cut and pasted each demonstrator into a handbuilt table with handbuilt rows and cells. (painful)

Last edited:
Ya mean you couldn't move the registration desk from Kansas to Louisville? ;)

Symposium Schedule

* Wednesday June 21 , 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. - Registration/Check in at the Overland Park Convention Center. (Registration also on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, beginning at 7:45 am)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So, do you have a problem with building an HTML table by hand?:D

Just kidding. I hate the cluttered code that results from using Excel (or whatever else) to build a large table because it is almost uneditable by hand. I take care of the web pages for the Woodturners of North Texas and used Excel for the library page -- what a mess. I am trying to find something reasonable for our Instant Gallery pages -- I just inherited that part of the job and last month (November), I did it all by hand.:mad: Nice clean code, but a full time job.

Bill

Website
www.woodturner.org
Bill - for the recent AAW auction pics I used a gallery program called Web Gallery Wizard . The interface wasn't that bad. And the code it generated was actually pretty decent. It was even editable. (I hand stripped out all their embedded advertising). And there are different templates. And it's cheap.

I'll either use that product for the upcoming symposium or I'll find another. The last 3 years I built those out by hand too. Not fun.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks a bunch, Jeff. I will give it a shot. I have been hoping that I could come up with something that I could just give to our photographer and let him take care of building the gallery web pages with minimal input from me.

Bill

Back