• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2008 AAW symposium - blog posting complete

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
I finally finished my blog posts on the 2008 AAW symposium. There are eight parts to the story. You can scroll from the top down to see them in reverse order. You can also use the menu posted on the right to click on the individual postings, or do a search on "AAW" in the search box to bring up these eight posts and a few other ones filed under "AAW."

Cheers - Andi

http://AndiWolfe.blogspot.com

(those of you checking after this week, you might want to click on the July 2008 and June 2008 archive links)

comments and corrections are welcomed

Amazing, must have taken you untold hours to compose this tome. Well presented and the photography is excellent. I really enjoyed this exhibit, almost made me feel like a part of the symposium. Thank you very much.

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
yes, many hours

Garmar - yep, it does take time, but I spread the effort out over a month of being busy with other stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the postings.

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Your Blog

Andi, That's the best writeup I've seen of the happenings at the symposium. Your story of the Orange Fiddle brought a tear to my eye....once again.

Thank you for sharing such an intimate moment

Angelo

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
2008 AAW Symposium blog posts

Richard and Angelo - Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog postings.

Angelo - that moment still brings a smile to my face, and I bet it will stay with Harvey, too.

Andi - Reading your blog left me with mixed emotions. The pictures were great and the narrative made me feel like I was there in many instances.

The only problem is that after reading it I feel like a slacker. You have a job, you create worderful works of art, you are an accomplished musician playing in a band and recording CDs, you provide instructions on your art, you maintain blogs and do who knows whatever else you manage to jam into a day. I get exhausted just thinking about it.

Ed

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
maximizing the time in a day, week, month, or year. . .

Ed -

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog, but I'm sorry it made you feel like a slacker:cool2:

I'm often asked how I manage to do all the things I do. I'll share one big secret for maximizing time usage - I don't watch any television. Zero. None at all. And, I don't miss it, either. I've not watched the tube for about 20 years now. That puts me completely out of touch with the pulse of American culture, but it doesn't bother me too much.

The other secret - I don't do all of my favorite activities all the time. For example, this week I have a big Irish festival to play with my band and in a couple of solo performances. I've spent most of my spare time this week practicing the music for my stage times. Last week I spent most of my spare time in the shop working on a new project. Next week - I'll focus mostly on my day job, even though I'm on summer break, but I have some deadlines coming up that I need to make and so I'm working ahead to beat the rush.

You just have to partition your time effectively and pick up where you left off on any one activity. Not to be biased or anything, but I think working mothers learn to manage their time and tend to be good at multi-tasking. I've noticed that many of my male colleagues are very linear in their thinking and don't juggle multiple activities all that well. That's probably just a slice of academia, though, where obsession to a single topic is the norm. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in many different careers that do numerous things in a fashion similar to me. . .

"The Orange slice story"

Andi:
Thanks once again for picking up the violin and playing it at the Symposium, it truly made for an event highlite! I had chosen Knick to play for us at the live auction but,the schedule didn't allow for that and he was dissappointed in not performing. However as the events unfolded, with Harvey winning the bid and giving it to Knick, that was the best way to end that evening! I had been telling my wife that the AAW is the best club for me and with all of the wonderful events that transpired that evening, it just reinforces my feelings! It is the wonderful people, comraderie, and common interests that make this a great association of friends. A simple act of generosity can have large effects on others and greatly influence young aspirations in both young and old!
Of course your symposium pictures are well done and very much appreciated.

Regards, Bernie

Back