• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2008 AAW Symposium - Gallery Final Update

????

Thanks for posting the pictures Ed. Looking at the picture in the link, my first reaction was "Did someone take the turnings that were supposed to be on those two black rectangular pedestals while you were trying to take the picture?". Then I flashed back to the AW cover of "Black Chainsawed Chunk" and I began to wonder if the two black boxes were in fact "turnings". I can't see anything there that looks like it was done on a lathe. Am I missing something?

Benoit Averly - 2001 Space Odyssey

Ed

Ed,

You're right...there is not much that's round on that piece. However, the photo I took is not that great either. There was a little turned cup and some carving on the two black towers that don't show up. Think I'll delete that particular photo from the gallery.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There were actually 2 turned bowls in each "tower". The other sided had texture that was carved. They were very cleanly done. I sat in on 2 of Benoit's talks and he is a talented turner and great guy. I have better photos that I took of those pieces and I gave them to Carl for the instant gallery critic photos for the Journal.

Black objects on a white table cloth is a tough challenge for auto exposure with digital cameras. I figured there had to be something there that I wasn't seeing since there was a ribbon for it. But as we move more and more towards art, you just never know for sure.

Once again, thanks for posting the pictures. I wasn't able to make the symposium and it's nice to be able to get at least a little taste of what I missed.

Ed

Back