• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2008 Symposium Rotation Grid

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
If you go to print this please notice that it is 8" X 14" (Legal size).

I just printed it on 8-1/2" x 11" (landscape) and although the fonts are small, Adobe fit it on one page......

Looks like a great lineup!

Rob

Website
www.james-mcclure.com
Conflict

I'm sure this is the hardest job in the world and you can't please everyone, but I just have to say that I'm bummed that David Ellsworth's rotation on teaching methods is at the same time as the instant gallery critique.

Acutally, I would love it if the instant gallery critique had it's own timeslot with nothing else going on, but that's just my opinion.

I'm sure this is the hardest job in the world and you can't please everyone, ................................................................
Acutally, I would love it if the instant gallery critique had it's own timeslot with nothing else going on, but that's just my opinion.

I agree, but it is already necessary to skip at least one rotation to appreciate the instant gallery and another to get a good look at the vendor area. To give the critique its own slot would mean a whole block of rotations would be eliminated or an evening would need to be dedicated. Not to mention the crowd in the gallery, viewing would be near impossible. We just have to prioritize as best we can. I would like to see every demonstrator at least once but I'm not organized enough to carry that off. But I still attend when possible, and come away tired and glad that I was able to be there.

decisions

I'm bummed that David Ellsworth's rotation on teaching methods is at the same time as the instant gallery critique.

i printed it 1/2 hour ago and now need to repint because i have made too many changes

to get it to fit paper hit print, look on right of screen, check box that says
"shrink oversized papes to paper size" it took me 20 minutes to figure that out :D:D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Your doing better than me. I could only get it to print so small I couldn't read it so I forwarded it to my secretary who printed it off larger and she said she had trouble with the page breaks.
I am now able to see when and where my demo's are. I really like that it tells which lathe we are using so I can prepare myself better.
I always plan what I want to see and then end up changing when I get there and meet friends so really it's useless for me to plan.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Here is a 3 page pdf version you can print.

The grid looks great on a 22X36 sheet. We'll have some printed at Staples and posted around the symposium this year.

John, you should have gotten an e-mail from me with all the demonstrator schedules.

-Al

Attachments

• postedGrid3Pages.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
thanks for the 3 page version

is the instant gallery complete or nearly complete on friday morning at 9 am??

what are the breakfast options? 1. eat in room 2. is Marriot set up some type of breakfast bar that can quickly feed crowd?? 3. is there breakfast of some type in vendor area???

yes, my first national symposium

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
dear bait,

The Instant gallery will be quite full by 8Am on Friday.

Pieces will continue to come in on Friday.

The mariott had a breaksfast buffet that was pretty good.
The convention center has a couple of concession areas.
One in the trade show area and one on the second floor with a window overlooking the trade show.

see you in Richmond,
Al

I have looked the grid over several times and it's going to be hard to make some decisions on which seminars to attend because so many seem to be of interest. Is there anywhere to see a brief description instead of just a title for the presentations? Titles like"Beyond the Basics" and "Back to the Basics" don't have much info on the content.

I have only been turning for a lttle over a year and with this being my first symposium, I am sure that any and all of the presenters will have valuable information for me but I will have to prioritize.

Dale Bright
Purcellville, VA

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Hi Dale,

The closest thing available now is pages 17-21 of the Spring Journal.
This preview of the demonstrators describes 1 presentation by each demonstrator. All demonstrations will be described in the symposium program which you will receive in Richmond when you check in.

"Back to basics" description is on page 20.

"beyond Basics" by Bill Smith is not described but
his other presentation "open segmentation basics" is descrbed.
Bill Smith does lovely segmented work. Bill is like most of our demonstrators in that his different demos follow a central theme around the type of work he does.

With 99 unique presentations, 24 of which are given only once, choosing is a challenge. The good news is there are no bad choices.

see you in Richmond
-Al

Last edited:
Back