• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2008 Symposium Update...

Online symposium registration, with a little luck, should be ready to go in about one week.

In the mean time, the symposium page has just been updated with new info on hotels, local transportation, the Return to the Community program and a listing of participating Trade Show vendors. Dial in here for more information.

LOML tried to register at the Richmond Marriott for the symposium and was told it was sold out, full.

She was able to get us into to the Omni.

I think it is a little strange that registration for the symposium isn't officially posted and the host hotel is already full.

Jim

Did you go through the Marriot 800 number (central reservations) or through the hotel directly. Sometimes makes a difference.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Jim,

The host Marriott was sold out the beginning of Dec., according to friends who tried for a reservation. The Linden Row Inn had rooms as of 2 days ago and they are 2 or 3 blocks closer to the show than the Omni. All are the same price.

Good luck getting a room and hope to meet you at the show. I'll be in the vendor's area.

Ruth

When I booked my room (called the hotel direct – last November), I was told they were sold out of the AAW discounted rooms. Came to find out that as I had asked for a room for five days - two days before and one day after the symposium, it fell outside of the discount window. So, it may be a matter of how you ask the question…the hotel reservations folks may not be smart enough to volunteer the best deal.

Odd I made a reservation at the Marriott yesterday. When I read these messages I called them a few minutes ago. The reservation clerk verified my reservation and when I told here why the call she replied "well tell them to call again right away because I am showing quite a bit of availability right now". thought I'd pass that along.

Odd I made a reservation at the Marriott yesterday. When I read these messages I called them a few minutes ago. The reservation clerk verified my reservation and when I told here why the call she replied "well tell them to call again right away because I am showing quite a bit of availability right now". thought I'd pass that along.

Tried last night. They have lots of rooms, at $260/night. None, however, at the AAW rate.

Booked at Omni.

Sold Out

Just reconfirmed with Marriott Central that the entire hotel is sold out as of last night, at any price. Rep said there might be a bit of confusion if people are calling the hotel directly because the desk clerks DO NOT have all the reservation information. This could lead to overbooking and if you were recently given a reservation number by the hotel clerk, you should call their central reservation number and reconfirm that you actually have a room.:cool:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Hmmm

While the hotels attached to convention centers are the most convenient, they are seldom the 'best' deal. I booked a hotel - nice, clean, cheap - a couple miles down Broad street. With the money we saved, we paid for the rent car... :cool2:

Still checking airfares daily to see if they are gonna drop, 400.00 bucks RT from Houston seems high.

Jim,

The host Marriott was sold out the beginning of Dec., according to friends who tried for a reservation. The Linden Row Inn had rooms as of 2 days ago and they are 2 or 3 blocks closer to the show than the Omni. All are the same price.

Good luck getting a room and hope to meet you at the show. I'll be in the vendor's area.

Ruth

Ruth,

Will be definitely looking you up in the vendors area. As a new turner 3 years ago I bought some stoppers from you at Totally Turning in Albany. I'm switching back to stainless from plated stoppers for the holiday season next year and will be stocking up.

We're all set at the Omni. I'm hoping they'll have a shuttle to the AAW show else I'll get some exercise.

Jim

Last edited:
parking fee

anybody notice on their confirmation @ the Marriott:confused:

On-site parking, fee: 4 USD hourly, 14 USD daily
Valet parking, fee: 18 USD daily

i wonder how far the parking is from the motel?????:eek:

anybody from up around there can give us the scoop???????:D

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
re. parking

I am not familiar with downtown Richmond at all but if it is anything like Houston (regarding parking) - there should be MUCH cheaper parking available in the downtown area. Hotel parking is about the most expensive way you can park your car.

I'll likely get droped off whilst the rest of the gang does Busch Gardens. :cool2:

Baitbegger,

I have stayed in this Marriott before (I live in northern Va.) and they do have an attached parking garage. Hopefully you will see this on your email confirmation:

Park Place * weekend leisure rate * 1 king or 2 double beds * Comp self parking in attached deck ( 1 car per room )

I booked under the weekend leisure rate that included the free self parking. I am not sure that the Symposium deal included the free parking, as that would have had to been worked out during booking by AAW.........

Jim

Back