• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2009 Symposium Galleries - latest update

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Sort of abrasive. :D

Actually, there were probably as many abrasive dealers as there were wood vendors this year. My only disappointment about the Trade Show was the relatively few wood vendors relative to other recent AAW Symposia. I bought what I could from those that were there, but several long-time vendors were noticeably absent. Another sign of the times....

Rob Wallace

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I would (wood) agree. There was a few selling domestic woods, still lots of ambrosia maple around. But nowhere near as many as were selling exotics in the last few years. In fact, I think Mitch (Tropical Exotic Hardwoods) was about the only one. Has some big cocobollo and some massur birch.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Rob,
Without letting any real facts cloud the argument.

I suspect there are many more wood dealers located within a day's drive of either Portland or Richmond than there are within a day's drive of Albuquerque.

We flew and purchased with weight in mind.

Our only wood purchase was a beautiful piece by our friend John Noffsinger.
John's pieces don't weigh much!

-Al

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Rob,
Without letting any real facts cloud the argument.

I suspect there are many more wood dealers located within a day's drive of either Portland or Richmond than there are within a day's drive of Albuquerque.
< snip! >
-Al

Al:

I really don't know what you mean by "real facts cloud the argument"....

I WAS stating facts; that there were fewer wood vendors at this year's AAW Symposium than in recent past years. Period. I WAS disappointed by this, and was only making an observation. I did not complain, point fingers, or suggest a reason for this fewer number being present, other than possibly the present economy.

Harold Jambers (Unique Mesquite) and Mitch Talcove (Tropical Exotic Hardwoods) are at the symposia regardless of its location or whether they are within a day's driving distance of the Symposium location or not. I just noted that several other major wood vendors were not in attendance when they had been in the past few symposia. I enjoy looking at and buying a diversity of wood at the symposium each year, and for me this was a disappointment this year. This is a fact, at least from my perspective.

Is there something personal here? Can you enlighten me as to how facts cloud this 'argument'?

Rob Wallace

I just noted that several other major wood vendors were not in attendance when they had been in the past few symposia. I enjoy looking at and buying a diversity of wood at the symposium each year, and for me this was a disappointment this year. This is a fact, at least from my perspective.
Rob Wallace

Rob,

James Lie from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods was signed on for ALBQ but backed out within the last month or so of the Symposium date. He claims he will be in Hartford.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Harold Jambers (Unique Mesquite) and Mitch Talcove (Tropical Exotic Hardwoods) are at the symposia regardless of its location or whether they are within a day's driving distance of the Symposium location or not. I just noted that several other major wood vendors were not in attendance when they had been in the past few symposia.

Both of them shipped in their product

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Rob,

I meant I have no facts to support what I said about there being more wood dealers close to Portland than close to Albuquerque. I think it is so but.....

I do know there were more wood dealers in Portland and Richmond.

Some of our wood dealers thought there were too many wood dealers in Portland

Choice Woods, Clay Johnson - Is another who is at every Symposium!
He is "branching out" beyond wood into tools, videos, and supplies.

-Al

Last edited:
Rob,

I know that Harold and family (Unique Mesquite) always tie the symposium into their vacation trips. I did not ask where they were going this year, but I know in past years they have gone trout fishing after the symposium. They always leave the symposium and go on their vacation from there.

I have a felling that with the economy and such that many did not come this year for the symposium. I too was disapointed but spent my money on the auction instead. I am guessing that WestPenn may have not come as they have in the past due to the distance involved with the economy being down. I missed seeing their family operation as well as James and the family from Amazon. His little son is becoming a great salesman as he grows up.

Still all in all it was a great symposium.

Clayton

Last edited:
Back