• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2014 AAW Symposium Pictures/Video

Thanks for posting the pictures from AAW on Youtube, Jeff. Great job and I love the background music as well. I had to mute Performance Today while watching it.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
"Freude schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium....."

Great job and I love the background music as well.

I agree Andy! I told Jeff last year that Beethoven's 9th Symphony is excellent, but I find myself singing along while I watch the gallery pictures scroll by!! It is great to be able to re-live the Instant Gallery "on-demand" because I did not really have enough time to see it this year - I even brought my camera to do some "inspiration gathering" like in past years, but wound up taking only a few images in the Youth Turning room. I will be the board member in charge of the Instant Gallery next year, and will probably have more time to see it in Pittsburgh than I did at the last 2 symposiums.

Great seeing you at the Symposium Jeff! Thanks, as always, for your contributions as videographer at the AAW Symposium, and for the service you do in compiling the hundreds of images you take and share with all of us.

We have an exceptional woodturning family - it is always great to see everyone at the annual AAW Symposium! I am already looking forward to Pittsburgh in 2015!

Rob

I find it interesting with about 14k AAW members that only about 1500-2000 people view my videos of the photos of the galleries.

You might be more surprised to find out how few of those 14K have computers or use them to look at stuff via the Internet. We introduced on-line voting in AAW elections hoping for a big increase in members actually voting. Didn't happen; I suspect for the same reason. There seems to be a large fraction of members who join AAW just to get the Journal delivered.

BTW: Nice pix. Appreciated your effort since I couldn't go to PHX.

You might be more surprised to find out how few of those 14K have computers or use them to look at stuff via the Internet. We introduced on-line voting in AAW elections hoping for a big increase in members actually voting. Didn't happen; I suspect for the same reason. There seems to be a large fraction of members who join AAW just to get the Journal delivered.

BTW: Nice pix. Appreciated your effort since I couldn't go to PHX.

Add in to this that most members (or at least the club members I talk to) do not even look at the forum much less frequent it. Do not be discouraged by that number you did a great service.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Add in to this that most members (or at least the club members I talk to) do not even look at the forum much less frequent it. Do not be discouraged by that number you did a great service.

I agree. I would estimate that no more than maybe a half dozen of the roughly 150 members in my club ever view any woodturning forum. Less than that number ever participate in any forum. I see that as a positive sign that most folks actually have a real life. :rolleyes:

I agree. I would estimate that no more than maybe a half dozen of the roughly 150 members in my club ever view any woodturning forum. Less than that number ever participate in any forum. I see that as a positive sign that most folks actually have a real life. :rolleyes:

Right . Not like us on here 2-3 times a day. LOL Oh by the way I still get shop time daily.

Thank You!

I didn't know about your videos but now that I know I've subscribed to your YouTube. Thanks for your effort and time.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yea even though I frequent the forums a lot I don't really spend that much time watching videos. I will sometimes in the evenings when nothing is on the tube but during the day it's just a quick look to see what's happening on the forums. I find if I do it a lot it only takes about 5 minutes because it's easy to keep track of what you haven't seen. When I go away on vacations or teaching it can take the better part of an hour to catch up.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Jeff,

Just to reiterate what others have said. Don't be discouraged by the numbers. Your efforts are very much appreciated. I am one of those digital denizens who routinely scour the net for woodturning related ites. And as a long time supporter of AAW, the forum is nearly always my first stop, after email, of course. Keep up the good work! You did good, man!

Back