• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2015 Pittsburgh Symposium -venue?

At what venue will the 2015 Symposium be held?
Who is the host hotel?

There is info on the 2016 Symposium posted, but I can't find anything on 2015.

Don

Al,
Thanks.

It sure would be nice if the AAW would post that info.
They already posted it for Atlanta 2016.

Don

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Don,

For what it's worth I just checked into the surrounding area and found that there are several hotels within walking distance. All are pricey. There is a Courtyard and a Westin adjacent to the center. A Renaissance and a Hampton about 3 blocks away (from opposite sides), and further out (about 5 blocks it looks like) are an Omni, Wyndham and Fairmont.

I checked on Yelp and Hotels.com for reviews and they're all the usual mix of gripes and raves, but they all seem to be fine with no real surprises. I went ahead and booked the Courtyard on Hotels.com because I don't plan on driving around town. The rate was steep but still better than the listed daily rate. And at least it has free wifi. I hate when pricey hotels nickel and dime you to death for "extras" when you can stay at a mid-price hotel and get free breakfast, wifi and on and on.

Anyway, I like being by the venue and dont' really care which is the host hotel.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the indo.

I went to a few of the hotel sites and they are sold out for the symposium dates.

The David L Lawrence CC web site doesn't even have the event listed.

The reason for asking about the host site is because usually there is one. I can stay anyplace but others in my club(s) have asked me.

I am thinking with the people I have spoke with; we could fill a floor.

Don

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Don,
The AAW will announce the host hotel and the AAW rate towards the end of the year.
It is likely the AAW will have most of the rooms in the host hotel and probably in a secondary hotel as well.
The reason these aren't available now is they are reserved for AAW.

Al

Al,
Kind of what I thought on the room availability.

However, why so late on the Host Hotel announcement? Atlanta 2016 is already announced.

Don

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, Kind of what I thought on the room availability. However, why so late on the Host Hotel announcement? Atlanta 2016 is already announced. Don

The Atlanta was a press release posted on the AAW web site and probably due to Kim Rymer joining the AAW Staff as communications and marketing director shortly before the Atlanta decision. Pittsburgh was old news by the time Kim came on board.

It still look inconsistent but...

Al

they are probably dickering with more than one hotel to be host, others would still be secondary host,......just mho

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
Responding to Don' Doyle's note about the 2015 Symposium

Hi Don ~

We have limited information on the website about the 2015 AAW Symposium in Pittsburgh at http://www.woodturner.org/?page=2015Pittsburgh. We will be adding more information to the website as it becomes available.

The host hotel is the Westin Convention Center Hotel, which is attached to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center (site of the 2015 AAW Symposium). The AAW group rate is standard king or (2) double beds for $145. Complimentary wireless Internet is available in all guest rooms and early registration begins December 1.

The AAW group rate is also available at the Omni William Penn Hotel, which is a 10-minute walk to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. The AAW group rate is standard king or (2) double beds for $145. Complimentary wireless Internet is available in all guest rooms.

Hope this helps.:)
Kim
kim@woodturner.org

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Who is the host hotel?....

Kim,
Thanks.
Limited information is better than no information.
Don

You got all of the information that you asked for plus a full page with a lot more on the link that Kim provided. It is more than is normally available nearly a year out from the event.

Last edited:
Who is the host hotel?..../QUOTE]

You got all of the information that you asked for plus a full page with a lot more on the link that Kim provided. It is more than is normally available nearly a year out from the event.

She is the one who said that "limited" information is available - I just thanked her for it. Geeze - give it a break.

Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village .......really.....not everything in the southwest....good reviews

Back