• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2019 AAW symposium

Well, I am not complaining about the operators as much as I am about the one-camera setup. I went to 10 rotations and only 2 or 3 graded as a B+ or higher for camera work. In my mind a B+ means only minor delays in seeing content as the camera operator shifts views. 4 graded as a C: major delays in camera re-positioning, approaching a minute or more. A delay of a minute frequently means you missed the whole cutting operation and the demonstrator has moved on to the next step. The others rated a D: in these cases there was significant time spent with complete failure to achieve the right viewing angle. This includes looking at the back of the demonstrators head. In Pascal Oudet's demo, the dimensions of the room prevented the camera boom from being moved far enough towards the head stock, at least half of the demo was lost. Another example was Max Brosi, he was making spherical forms, and the camera could only be positioned so we could see when he was working on the tail stock side. Whenever he went to the head stock side, the camera could not be moved fast enough (or at all) to see the tool cut the wood. When I said this was a step back from the Atlanta & Pittsburgh Symposia, I would put about 9 out of the 10 rotations I attended would have graded at least a B. I know I am not alone in these opinions, as I heard muttering from my fellow audience members.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
In Pascal Oudet's demo, the dimensions of the room prevented the camera boom from being moved far enough towards the head stock, at least half of the demo was lost.
I hope you put these comments in your symposium critique.

I went to one of Pascals demos. One big issue was the small image of a fine cut he was making across the face of the work. It was not visible on the monitor at 20 feet from my chair. I could only see a hint of an occasional shaving. Having done lots of similar cut I knew what was being missed.
I’m confident few of the many folks sitting further away could even see the tool tip.

The camera operators really need to zoom tighter for visibility on the small screens. The shot would have been fine on a 8-10 foot height projection screen. The small clear image does no service to anyone beyond 12 feet.
Tv monitors can work really well when the camera operators know their limitation.

Back