• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2020 symposium

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I wonder if this will happen in June.Some vendors have already cancelled.

you have probably seen the most recent AAW letter:
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/update-2020-aaw-symposium-in-louisville.15813/

Judging by how far we are behind South Korea, ( SK and USA had their first case on the same day) I don’t see us getting a slow down on the rise in new case counts of the virus each day before late May or mid June if then.
Then we need a decrease in new cases.....

But I have no crystal ball so it could all stop
tomorrow- unlikely or
next week - unlikely

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Well, there was the idiotic ending of "The Andromeda Strain". which was basically 'then a miracle happened'-- which would have been OK had it been an actual miracle, but they couched in terms of science and got it utterly wrong.

Well, there was the idiotic ending of "The Andromeda Strain". which was basically 'then a miracle happened'-- which would have been OK had it been an actual miracle, but they couched in terms of science and got it utterly wrong.
Yeah, I still liked the movie anyway though.

Btw, I suspect there is a chance we might still be unsure in deciding whether or not it is safe to attend next year. That or there may still be cancellations due to continued isolation or a second round of infections. I hope that is not the case, but it is a possibility.

The old saying "The cure is worse than the disease" may come into play with this virus. More studies have shown that the use of Hydroxychloroquine along with Azithromycin has cured patients that tested positive with the COVID-19. A number of these patients were in bad condition and the treatment turned them around in several days. We don't have 12-18 months to wait for a vaccine, if we wait too long to put the country back to work many of the jobs will be gone for months if not years. Half of the jobs in this country are provided by small business owners that survive week to week and month to month on revenue from the business. Every week that goes by a fewer number of these small business owners will have the funds to come back on line and re-hiring employees will be a slow process getting the economic wheels turning again. Waiting too long to put the economic wheels back in motion could create a prolonged economic recession for the country causing more long term damage to all of us. The large corporations usually have a knee-jerk reaction when their stock values take a hit, they normally start rounds of lay-offs until their stock holders see a potential turn-a-round for the bottom line. Healthy people should go back to work and take preventative measures to limit their exposure to the virus, at risk people should stay home and limit their overall exposure until a vaccine is produced, elderly people should stay home and use preventative measures to limit their exposure to the virus. Production of Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin should be ramped up to provide enough doses for the entire population if needed,these drugs are used around the world for other purposes so it will be used one way or the other. I have been working through this entire pandemic as the company I work for produces needed products for the economy, each day we wipe down our work areas, wear proper P.P.E. when needed, wash and sterilize our hands often and limit person to person contact as much as possible.

Back in 2009 and 2010 13,500 US citizens died from the H1N1 virus and the media barely covered it. The yearly influenza on average kills between 20,000 to 60,000 people annually.
On average 50,000 U.S. citizens commit suicide annually, if you push the country into an extended recession (depression) you will double or triple that number easily.
3.3 million people applied for unemployment last week
The latest study shows 75% of the fatalities from this virus would have passed away in 6-12 months without having the virus.
It is the elderly and the immune compromised individuals that need to take extra precautions, the rest of society can manage with this virus and treat it like the influenza.
Another treatment being used is harvesting blood from individuals that have had the virus, these individuals have built up a natural immunity to the virus, antibodies are
harvested from the blood and injected into patients fighting the virus.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Back in 2009 and 2010 13,500 US citizens died from the H1N1 virus and the media barely covered it. The yearly influenza on average kills between 20,000 to 60,000 people annually.
On average 50,000 U.S. citizens commit suicide annually, if you push the country into an extended recession (depression) you will double or triple that number easily.
3.3 million people applied for unemployment last week

There are much bigger numbers that argue for stopping the spread of the disease.

there was a lot of media coverage early on for H1/N1 because it was a flu that our Flu vaccine was not effective against. However it did respond the flu treatment drugs and it was no more deadly than the flu.

the Darwinian model of business as usual survival of the fittest doesn’t work very well.
without severe distancing measures the Corona Virus spreads exponentially.

Once it does the medical system will be overwhelmed beds, ICUs and medical staff fully engaged an unable to treat the commonly curable events that will cause people to die needlessly.
the CDC modeling has predicted that 200,000 to 1,700,000 people in the US will die from Covid-19 if no action is taken.
21,000,000 could require hospitalization - the US has 925,000 hospital beds ( most are needed for other patients).

Most experts agree with you that working through the Corona Virus pandemic will be a life altering experience for much of the worlds population. Perhaps rivaling the Great Depression or World War Two. Every American was affected by those. I’m old enough to have known quite a few people who had been through both and heard stories of unbelievable hardships.

South Korea got the virus spread under control by quick an decisive action. Both the US and SK got their first cases on the same day.

I guess I have a lot of doubt. I watched the briefing yesterday as Trump praised the effort Fauci has put forth and he was going to confer with him and Dr. Brix about the way forward either Monday or Tuesday. From what I have seen from Trump, if he is upset with someone he sure doesn’t hid that publicly.

Another statistic that no-one is looking at are the number of people unable to go to the hospital for regularly scheduled treatments and surgeries. If you need heart surgery or an organ transplant you are SOL until this COVID-19 pandemic has run its course. The collateral damage from this will be painful for everyone no matter which course we take.

T;
The latest study shows 75% of the fatalities from this virus would have passed away in 6-12 months without having the virus.
\.

Mike this statement might be a little off. Everything else is right-on. Elderly folks are living daily with one foot on a banana peal and the other slipping already. It only takes one incident to push that to the end but there is no way to say all these only had 12 months anyway, shorter time yes but probably npt that short.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I wonder if this will happen in June.Some vendors have already cancelled.
Please leave politics out of this discussion. If you do post something political you should be keeping an eye for a message through your inbox here. If you can't make your comment without a political tone then don't do it. I can help you join Facebook if you are not a member already, that's where political rantings belong, not here.

This virus pandemic is basically fighting a war against an invisible enemy, fighting a war requires strategic timely decision making and execution of actions. All of these actions defy the standard practices of government agencies that we normally deal with. The private sector is responding quickly to many of the challenges with fast track solutions providing the needed supplies and equipment needed by healthcare facilities and citizens in the country. Fast tracking drug therapies or vaccines will be the biggest challenge with conventional government regulations and protocols that slow the process down Existing drug therapies will be the quickest to employ if they work to manage the symptoms of the disease. The biggest challenge with using many of these drugs is finding a doctor that will prescribe the drug to treat the patient. If the drug is not specifically identified as a treatment by the FDA to treat a specific disease many doctors will hesitate to prescribe these treatments as it opens up the potential for liability. Many of these patients rely on a family members calling around to various doctors until they find one that will prescribe one of these treatments that has shown positive results in other countries. The other major obstacle is insurance providers only cover standard drug therapies used in the healthcare industry to treat a specific illness.

I think everyone wants to get back to business as usual. But if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you always got. What will the next pandemic be and have we learned anything?

Back