• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3/4 16 to 3/4 10 spindle adapter

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and relatively new to turning. I've had a lathe (craftsman) for 30 years but never had much time to use it.. I probably used it 5 times since I got it. I've really gotten into turning in the past 2 months and thrown some 10" logs on the lathe and quickly found out it is not very sturdy - I've riveted the guide bar under the round bar the banjo and tailstock ride on twice and its loose again, I've been jamming shims under the toolrest to keep it steady. Anyway, I came across a lathe on Craigslist for $100 and went looked at it last week. Not top quality but seemed much sturdier than the craftsman so i bought it but haven't set it up yet. (it is a 1982 Ludell, I can't find any reference to Ludell lathe on the internet so they must have made one and stopped :)

(also ended up getting a 12" band saw from the same guy to replace my 10" model so I can cut blanks)

My issue is the craftsman lathe has a 3/4" 16 tpi spindle (hollow) and the "new" Ludell has a 3/4" 10 tpi spindle (solid), so 2 problems:
- I can't find a 3/4" 10 to 3/4" 16 adapter anywhere to allow me to use my old faceplates and a jaw chuck I bought last month (another issue I'll get to in a minute)
- I can't use my morse tapers in the headstock or tailstock. It came with a screw on spur chuck and a screw on live center but I'd like to use my other morse tapers as well.

Does anybody know where I can find a 3/4 10 to 3/4 16 adapter ?

Is there any adapter that will allow me to use my morse tapers with the threaded spindle and tailstock?

Now, for the Jaw chuck I bought last month. Not knowing anything about Jaw chucks I bought the $59 4 jaw chuck from PSI and quickly learned there are self centering and manual, this one is not self centering :(
I'm considering seeing if PSI will still take a return on it, and upgrade to a self centering chuck, what is the cheapest self centering chuck I can get that is of adequate (I know a relative term) quality? If I go this route it kind of solves my adapter problem too, because I can the get a 1" chuck and there are adapters available to go from 3/4" 10 to 1" 8. I'd like to spend no more than around $100 if possible on the jaw chuck. I've already spent a few hundred to upgrade from my old craftsman tools (Robert Sorby 1/2" bowl guage and parting tool) and several Benjamin Best tools from PSI. If I spend much more my wife is going to kill me :)

I also have some questions about wood drying which I'll save for another post to not overload this post, I cut about 30 walnut blanks this morning.

Thanks for any advice!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know of an adaptor for your lathe but Vic of www.bestwoodtools.com does make custom adaptors so you might be able to get one.
The chuck you have is for a metal lathe,(yea I know they say wood but it sucks for wood). What you need is a 4 jaw self centering wood turning chuck. They sell them at Pennstateind.com from about $89 to $200 or more. Make sure they will fit your lathe. Some don't come with 3/4 16 and I don't know of one that will fit 3/4x10 unless Grizzly has one. Grizzly used to have some odd sizes but I believe they were 12tPi.
What you should do is get rid of the craftsman and buy a Jet or Rikon mini lathe. That's exactly what my latest student did after futzing with the craftsman for a few months. He is really happy with the Rikon he bought. It is so much smoother and everything works so much better than the craftstman round tube lathe. It is 1"x8 TPI which is different than your stuff. It also takes #2 morse taper. These are extremely common sizes so you can find most things to fit.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Just after I made this post ^, I had a "Well, DUH!" moment! I thought I'd wait a little while and see if anyone was going to call me on it.......but, none yet! :eek:

Yes, it IS possible, but not with one thread size overlapping the other. By extending the length of the adaptor, it can be done.

I would think the further your work piece gets from the spindle bearings, the possibility of stability issues will increase.....but, I suppose, this is entirely dependent on the speed, the individual piece of wood, and condition/size of the lathe spindle, bearings, etc.........

OOC

Last edited:
All the below are purchased from Penn State Industries (PSI), and are steel. www.pennstateind.com

I bought a spindle adapter with 3/4” x 10 tpi female threads, and 1” x 8 tpi male threads. Part number LA341018, $16.95 + shipping. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA341018.html

I also bought a spindle adapter with 1” x 8 tpi female threads, 3/4” x 16 tpi male threads.
Part number LA1834, $16.95 + shipping. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA1834.html

I just screwed the two together and I have an adapter like what I think you are looking for (3/4” x 10 tpi female by 3/4” x 16 tpi male).. I did not buy these adapters for the reason you need them, but together they would serve the purpose you wanted.
[FONT=&quot]These are well made adapters at a very reasonable cost.[/FONT]

Thanks for the input guys. A couple months ago my first choice would have been to buy new Jet lathe, but I was recently laid off so I have to settle for replacing the Craftsman with the lathe I picked up off of Craigslist which has the 3/4" 10 spindle.

I had actually thought about threading 2 adapters together, 3/4 10 to 1 8 and 1 8 to 3/4 16 but was worried about the extra length causing additional wobble and putting additional stress on the bearings. I call PSI last week and asked their tech about doing that and he said it is possible, but they don't recommend using more than one adapter.

Im going to call PSI today and see if they will still take back the independent jaw chuck. If so, I'll upgrade to one of the PSI or Grizzly chucks you guys suggested.

Back