• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3 amigos - PICs

Website
www.woodnheart.com
I applied a coat of finish to these three bowls last night and left them on the patio table. This morning I decided to take a couple pictures. Not the best setting but my photo booth is piled high with valuable stuff(in other words junk). The bowls have been finished with 3 coats of Rockler’s gel polyurethane.
amigos.jpg

From left to right, wild cherry, madrona, and white oak.
wildch.jpg

Wild cherry with bark inclusion. 9 1/4" x 3 ½" high and 3/16" thick. I tried to sell the roughed out bowl on ebay for $25. It is a little more pricey now. Notice the limb in the bottom. This is not a blank normal people would turn. However, I have had good success drying such pieces using the alcohol method.
madrona.jpg

Madrona bowl 8 ½" x 3 1/4" high and ½" thick. It was soaked for 3 days in alcohol and experienced very little distortion and no cracking. I didn’t plan to soak the bowl that long but my memory isn’t what it used to be.
wo.jpg

White oak bowl 8 ½" x 2 ½" high and 3/8" thick. White oak has wonderful grain. I use a sharp scraper to finish the inside and have little problem with tear out or tool chatter. This bowl was also alcohol soaked for drying.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Smith

Totally confused, it didn’t rain on the 4 of July in Longview, WA.

Last edited:
Man, I have some wild cherry on my property that needs to get a little bigger before I cut it down and turn it. After seeing this, I don't know if I can wait. Those are great bowls!

Great job!

Great bowls, nice variety of wood. If I left wood bowls on the patio table the dang raccoons would be waiting for me to fill them with breakfast for them :mad: Nice job, inspires me to get off the 'puter and back to shop!

Back