• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3m Cubitron II

I got ahold of some 3m cubitron II discs. They were advertised as "hookit2"; It does not hook to regular hook and loop; and I can't seem to find any backing pads that it hooks to. Does anyone know about this stuff? The cubitron discs I have from before, have hook and loop, that sticks to the pads and backer system I already have. I got them from Taylor toolworks, but they only pointed me to the discs that 3m sells for body work.

I was able to use 3M Cubitron II for the first time using a backing pad from Vince's Woodnwonders. I used 240 and 320 with good success. The discs do not adhere as well as hook & loop but worked acceptably to complete sanding with those grits. I did notice that the discs had moved during sanding. A couple of times the sanding discs were not centered when I stopped with that grit, and were slightly off-set from the center location originally placed on the backing pad. They relocated/moved about a quarter inch but still covered all of the hook area of the backing pad. Not ideal but I do like the results using Cubitron.

As mentioned in a previous post - Some would prefer a disc that was slightly larger than the backing pad. Vince understands this concept as he sells discs that are 3/8" larger than the backing pad. It may be more realistic to convince Vince to sell a slightly smaller backing pad than it would be to get 3M to produce a slightly larger disc. Vince: I hope you're listening.

I haven't gotten to use those I got from Taylor Tools extensively but did try a couple of them out. I wore them out without any issue of them turning loose. I did figure out that a very light touch with the power drill cuts better and discs last longer

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I haven't gotten to use those I got from Taylor Tools extensively but did try a couple of them out. I wore them out without any issue of them turning loose. I did figure out that a very light touch with the power drill cuts better and discs last longer

Yes, a light touch is the key to longevity whether using H&L or 3M HookIt system. Besides that, sandpaper cuts more effectively and lasts longer when using a light touch.

A light touch, and slow speeds, never more than half trigger on the slow speed angle drills.

robo hippy

The type on the left only sticks good to 3m hookit pads. The one on the right sticks much better to any hook and loop. These are both labeled cubitron.

198C96F8-ADC6-4227-BD7E-51937DF72016.jpeg

D92DCBCF-71A6-4BC1-A55E-CF04374291CC.jpeg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
The type on the left only sticks good to 3m hookit pads. The one on the right sticks much better to any hook and loop. These are both labeled cubitron.
One on the left - AKA the Cubitron II Xtract version, I have had no problems with it - sticks good to my 2 inch roloc disk (from woodturners wonders) and the 5 inch sticks great to my DeWalt ROS , have not tried the other kind as yet. (Never yet tried the HookIt brand, just the Xtract ones that you show on the left side of the picture)

Back