• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

5/8,1/2 or stay with 3/8 gouge?

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
I currently have a 3/8 bowl gouge. I have been happy with the bowl gouge but recently have bumped up in lathe size and now I am turning larger pieces. I was at a friends turning, the other week, and he introduced me to his Ellsworth 1/2 bowl gouge and swore by it telling me that I HAD to get this gouge! This is the second time someone has put a larger bowl gouge in my hand and stated "this is the way to go!" So like the good turner that I am, I found myself at my local Woodcraft store holding tools in my hand. I was able to pull myself away. The weight of the 1/2 tool did feel good in my hand so I thought I better get some feedback before I do anything. When I was at my friends turning with the 1/2 gouge did feel good and did not bounce/move like the 3/8 gouge. But it also seems that 3/8 is the favorite gouge for many turners. So the question is do you have a 1/2,5/8,or 3/8 gouge and what is your favorite? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance, VWNW

Gougeaholic

Get them all :D . I have and use all three. I seem to reach for the 5/8" more often than the others. The P & N unhandled gouges in a modified Ellsworth grind are my favorite.

Website
sawsndust.com
I generally use the Ellsworth gouge for about 80% of my work on both bowls and hollow vessels. (exterior only on the latter) I even use it on smaller stuff where the size does not get in the way of the reality of a particular cut or area. From there, I'll switch to a smaller gouge, but with a similar grind profile.

The bottom line is that you should use what you are most comfortable with while still trying different combinations as you are able to do so. If you start turning larger items, you'll actually need to switch to the larger tool to insure you have enough mass, strength and stiffness when you have to reach over the rest a ways.

I use almost nothing but my 3/8, even when turning very large pieces on a friend's lathe. That said, the big advantage to the larger gouges is that they are less flexible, have bigger bevels, and generally have longer, more stable handles than the smaller. This is nice for big pieces, with the high volume of wood and the huge torque they generate. I'm sticking with my 3/8 for small to medium work and will probably get a 1/2 when I upgrade to my larger lathe. I'll save the 5/8 for when I have a 3hp lathe and am turning huge chunks of wood.

Does that help any?

Dietrich

Website
sawsndust.com
Just one note...depending on the "measuring system" used, a 1/2" and 5/8" gouge may be exactly the same size. US measures one way/Europe another for exactly the same tool. My Ellswsorth gouge, for example, is often called a 5/8" gouge, but it's the same exact size as my Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge. (Which also has an Ellsworth style grind in my shop)

Here's my $.02 worth.

As mentioned above the 5/8" and 1/2" may well be the same size. Whatever you call them, these are my tools of choice about 80% of the time. I have 6 of them lined up in my tool rack right behind me. 5 of them are a slightly modified Ellsworth gind so I don't have to stop to sharpen so often. The 6th one is ground at a 40 degree angle for getting into undercut bowl lips (standing on the back side of the lathe) and so on. I also use a 3/8" bowl gouge from time to time and have been known to drag out 1/4" and 3/8" spindle and detail gouges. When I'm feeling really adventurous I'll even try my Nemesis, the skew. But, as I said the 5/8" bowl gouge is my primary tool from roughing to finish cuts.

Whit

Don't buy a new tool just because some one with more money tells you you have to have it. When you want ,or need a new tool try some one else first.To see if it fits you and your lathe and you are comfortable with it and to see if it does what you want it to. A 3/4" bowl gouge on a minie lathe is over kill. Good luck turning and remember it's supposed to be fun.

Back