• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

8" Slow Speed Grinder ?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's hard to beat the price on the slow speed grinders that Woodcraft sells. There are of course some really good ones made by Baldor that will cost an arm and leg but apparently worth the money. I have one of the older Slow speed grinders from Woodcraft.

I would agree with John . For the price you cannot beat the Woodcraft now I think Rikon brand. I have what may have been some of the last of the Woodcraft brand and no complaints. Now have CBN wheels on it and is absolutely no vibration. Also for the price difference in this and Baldor you could buy 5 Woodcraft grinders.

Agreed, the Baldors must be super machines. It looks like Woodcraft does not have a house brand grinder anymore. The Rikon is the replacement?

Were the Woodcraft grinders white? I am seeing some on Craig's List for $50 - $70. What did they cost new?

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The. Wood craft brand sold at something like $120 but they would put it on sale a couple a times a year at $80-90.
The wood craft grinder used to be the best bang for the buck.

The Rikon seems to have filled that niche. A few of the clubs I visit have had the Rikon. Those worked well and sounded good.

Al

I would agree with John . For the price you cannot beat the Woodcraft now I think Rikon brand. I have what may have been some of the last of the Woodcraft brand and no complaints. Now have CBN wheels on it and is absolutely no vibration. Also for the price difference in this and Baldor you could buy 5 Woodcraft grinders.

And with the money saved you can buy a couple of CBN wheels.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
And with the money saved you can buy a couple of CBN wheels.

That's pretty funny ... With no intention in the first place of buying a Baldor grinder, you can justify buying a pair of CBN wheels based on the money saved by getting the Rikon grinder instead. :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
That's pretty funny ... With no intention in the first place of buying a Baldor grinder, you can justify buying a pair of CBN wheels based on the money saved by getting the Rikon grinder instead. :rolleyes:
Everyone knows you must spend to save ! :)

Think big!
Buy a thousand and you save enough to buy a ONEWAY or a Robust.

Actually, the $ saved by not buying a Baldor would buy probably 3 Rikons with wheels for each.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I went to Kohls over Christmas and the lady said you just saved $79. I told her that's funny it felt like I spent $29.

I too have the Woodcraft grinder -- bought before they put a brand name on them, perhaps Rikon? Zero run-out, it's been fine. You'll probably have to put a lift under it if you install with the Wolverine system. I have a 1" piece of plywood under mine, otherwise the shields don't clear the chutes for the Wolverine. If you contemplate getting CBN wheels, I guess you take the shields off, haven't looked to see if that's possible on this grinder. Schweitzer's shop is filled with Jet grinders.

Baldor Grinder

I buy the best equipment I can find. 20 years ago I bought the Baldor 7", 1800rpm grinder. 2 years ago I took off the gaurds and mounted 8" CBN whells. Runs great. It seems to me you can buy inexpensive tools with the knowledge that you are going to periodically replace them or buy top quality for a life time. PMK

savvy advice

how much have you saved over the life of this grinder???
probably enough to save thousands at kohl :)

I buy the best equipment I can find. 20 years ago I bought the Baldor 7", 1800rpm grinder. 2 years ago I took off the gaurds and mounted 8" CBN whells. Runs great. It seems to me you can buy inexpensive tools with the knowledge that you are going to periodically replace them or buy top quality for a life time. PMK

I too have the Woodcraft grinder -- bought before they put a brand name on them, perhaps Rikon? Zero run-out, it's been fine. You'll probably have to put a lift under it if you install with the Wolverine system. I have a 1" piece of plywood under mine, otherwise the shields don't clear the chutes for the Wolverine. If you contemplate getting CBN wheels, I guess you take the shields off, haven't looked to see if that's possible on this grinder. Schweitzer's shop is filled with Jet grinders.

Jamie, do you know the amp rating on your Woodcraft?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I buy the best equipment I can find. 20 years ago I bought the Baldor 7", 1800rpm grinder. 2 years ago I took off the guards and mounted 8" CBN wheels. Runs great. It seems to me you can buy inexpensive tools with the knowledge that you are going to periodically replace them or buy top quality for a life time. PMK

This doesn't help the conversation much but I'll go anyway: I bought a Delta slow-speed grinder about 12 years ago (heavy beast of a thing that cost a bit shy of $200 at the time). Unfortunately they discontinued the machine a while back; I would have bought another as a second machine for my non-turning needs.

I always keep my eyes peeled for any of the old Baldor, Delta, (really old) Black & Decker, etc. There's not much that can go wrong with a grinder that can't be fixed with bearings, a switch, or a capacitor.

Jamie, do you know the amp rating on your Woodcraft?

Tom, the no name Woodcraft I have is 4 amp and I raised 1/2 inch for the Wolverine but w/o the shields and CBN wheels I do not think the raise is needed, but it was already there.
I have probably had this one for 8 years and runs like new. I have wondered if these are not made by Rikon.

I too have the Woodcraft grinder -- bought before they put a brand name on them, perhaps Rikon?

Woodcraft grinder is now badged as Rikon? Not sure about that. A lot of the advice given to the OP is outdated. Woodcraft used to sell the bargain machine, I have two, but they no longer sell those. They got some bad batches and stopped selling a no name machine after a huge warranty deal. Now you can only get Jet or Rikon at Woodcraft. I've read good things about the Rikon. You can buy the Rikon at many places, it's not a Woodcraft exclusive.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There was a great deal of discussion about the Woodcraft grinder on this forum a few years back. Here's the first indication of a problem: Woodcraft Grinder Running Hot

The problem gets a bit more discussion HERE

Several months later and a resolution to the problem seems to not be making progress.

Then the motor problems worsen and Woodcraft takes action to resolve the matter by switching to a new supplier when it became evident that the current supplier couldn't or wouldn't get things right. It took a while to get the Rikon grinders into their stores, but ever since switching to Rikon customers have been very pleased.

There was a great deal of discussion about the Woodcraft grinder on this forum a few years back. Here's the first indication of a problem: Woodcraft Grinder Running Hot

The problem gets a bit more discussion HERE

Several months later and a resolution to the problem seems to not be making progress.

Then the motor problems worsen and Woodcraft takes action to resolve the matter by switching to a new supplier when it became evident that the current supplier couldn't or wouldn't get things right. It took a while to get the Rikon grinders into their stores, but ever since switching to Rikon customers have been very pleased.

Well that's informative, thanks Bill (and others). This makes me think I should avoid the used "Woodcraft" grinders I see on Craig's List-- How would I know if it's one of the bad ones?

Woodcraft has a 15% off on all Jet tools now, and I may end up with the 1/2 HP jet (6.5 amp).

Woodcraft grinder is now badged as Rikon? Not sure about that. A lot of the advice given to the OP is outdated. Woodcraft used to sell the bargain machine, I have two, but they no longer sell those. They got some bad batches and stopped selling a no name machine after a huge warranty deal. Now you can only get Jet or Rikon at Woodcraft. I've read good things about the Rikon. You can buy the Rikon at many places, it's not a Woodcraft exclusive.

That was a wild guess on my part, hence the word "perhaps" and the "?" at the end of my sentence.

I think Woodcraft gave up on an 'in house' brand after failures from at least 2 different manufacturers. Rikon is not the 'house' brand. There are two models of the Rikon grinder that they are carrying. Both are slow speed 8 inch grinders. The little one has a 1/2 hp motor, and they just introduced a 1 hp grinder which I bought for 'experimental' reasons. I got it on sale for about $180, and normally it sells for about $220. If I was using standard grinding wheels, the 1/2 hp would be fine. I know a number of turners have run the CBN wheels on it, but I prefer things to be over built rather than barely or under built, and with no experimenting for proof, I don't consider it up to the abuse I would heap on it. So, the 1 hp model:

First thing I did was to take the rubber feet off the base so I could get a firm bolt down to a piece of plywood. That comes in hand for traveling to demos, and I don't want it sitting on rubber feet. I had to grind 1/8 inch of metal off of one foot to get the base flat, there really was that much rocking going on. It sits higher than standard grinders, so I had to put a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the Wolverine platforms to get them to height. I had to add a washer or two on the inside to space the wheels far enough away from the wheel cover so they wouldn't rub on the nibs from the screw holes used for mounting the tool rest that came with the grinder. When sliding my robo rest up to the left side, it hit the crimped over part of the wheel cover before getting up close enough to the grinding wheel. I ground that down about 1/16 of an inch for a perfect 1/8 inch stop gap for my platform. On the right side, when I slid my robo rest up and when it hit the wheel cover, it was still 1/2 inch away from the wheel. I reamed out the bolt holes in the cover so I could rotate it enough to get my rest into place. I took the light that was on the grinder off. It barely reached the front of the wheel, and is way too small. The grinding wheels that came with it I would not give to some one I don't like. About 1/8 inch of run out as in 1/16 + and - , really bad. It takes all of about 3 seconds to come up to speed with CBN wheels on both sides, which is about the same as my Baldor 3/4 hp grinders. I can put a lot of pressure on the wheels and they don't slow down. There is no run out that I can feel as I sharpen, but I don't have the tools to actually get any type of measurement. There is plenty of room for the nut on the shaft of the grinder to keep the wheels on. It isn't a Baldor, but for the money, it is a great deal. I don't have any experience with the Jet grinders.

I am considering getting the outside wheel covers on my grinders. The main reason is for metal dust collection. I saw one turner somewhere who used a piece of plywood as a spacer to get it far enough away from the wide CBN wheels so they can be enclosed. The very fine metal dust floats around the shop like the very fine wood dust does, and that could be a health issue.

robo hippy

[Snip]
I am considering getting the outside wheel covers on my grinders. The main reason is for metal dust collection. I saw one turner somewhere who used a piece of plywood as a spacer to get it far enough away from the wide CBN wheels so they can be enclosed. The very fine metal dust floats around the shop like the very fine wood dust does, and that could be a health issue.

robo hippy

Dave (Schweitzer) has DC on one of his Jet grinders, I think the one he uses when he sharpens dozens of his D-Way tools at once. They have dust collection built into the wheel guards, 2" port IIRC.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Just my .02

Just for what it's worth, here's my setup. I went with the 1/2 HP Rikon when it was on sale, but did put on the 8" CBN wheels over time. I've had the grinder about a year+ I guess? No issues with it at all. I did remove the guards for the wheels, but I don't really think that the CBN wheels will ever explode on me either.

Like Robo did, I pulled the feet and mounted on a board to get the height for the Wolverine stuff. Show better in the middle photo. To the left of the grinder are a couple of blocks for depth settings. One is 1.75" and the other 2" for my bowl gouges.

The little scrap of wood below the grinder switch (that I should have taken out of the photo) is just a riser that I use on my Robo-Rest when doing a couple of very small Ashley Isles skews.

The photo at right is an adjustable adapter I made to use with my Ellsworth sharpening jig. It sets the jig at the right height, and then the orange stripe indicates where to put the bar to get the correct distance (but, having read on another thread here, John Torchik uses a PVC sleeve and I'm going to do that this week).

So for what it's worth here it is. I also have a couple of cheap lights that I use when working at the grinder. Leftovers.

I do find that the grinder takes a moment to spin up to speed, but it never bogs down and takes forever to stop, which is a good sign to me.

Of course, I'm a hobby turner and no way would I use it as much as Robo.

grinder.jpg

It's hard to beat the price on the slow speed grinders that Woodcraft sells. There are of course some really good ones made by Baldor that will cost an arm and leg but apparently worth the money. I have one of the older Slow speed grinders from Woodcraft.
I'm looking into getting a good grinder. I've come across a new still factory wrapped Baldor 8100 for $500. Would anyone go for that deal or would getting a Rikon 1/2 hp and some CBN wheels make more sense? You know how we are when it comes to our tools we always want the best even if it doesn't make any sense.

I'm looking into getting a good grinder. I've come across a new still factory wrapped Baldor 8100 for $500. Would anyone go for that deal or would getting a Rikon 1/2 hp and some CBN wheels make more sense? You know how we are when it comes to our tools we always want the best even if it doesn't make any sense.

That's a piece of junk for that price. Now tell me, where did you see that?

Half hp Rikon no! 3/4 hp Baldor oh yes!!!!! Don't tell Tom where it is, it might disappear.... I have 2 of them...

robo hippy

You can get a 1hp Rikon with 2 CBN wheels for less than $500. That would be my recommendation. I usually run my grinder for less than 5 minutes at a time. I don't need a Baldor.

Baldor is not the best grinder for woodturners. So if you want to drop about 1500 it would be the Tradesman. That includes the CBN wheels so your saving $450 dollars, more than what Bill saved on his camera.
The CBN wheels are assembled with less than .0001” run out and its variable speed with consistent torque throughout its 400-4000 rpm range. There are many accessories.
I have been considering the purchase for quite sometime. Left side with a 36 inch belt and right side with CBN. Now if I put it on my new credit card within the next three months, I get 50,000 bonus miles which will save me 500 in air fare. So I’m up to 950 in savings. I need to find another 550 and the tradesman grinder will be free.

Baldor Grinder

I have the same grinder. Good to know about the 8" CBN wheels.

I did look at the Tradesman Grinder. Really good set up. I believe they were designed for the CNC carbide bits. The variable speed motor would make diamond wheels practical as you can turn slow enough so that the heat breakdown of the diamonds is not a problem. Still waiting to see how the diamond wheels for the Tormek will survive. Glenn Lucas likes them. He will be one of the demonstrators at our Oregon Woodturning Symposium this March. Hope to get some play time with him as well as a chance to chat.

robo hippy

Baldor Grinder

I agree totally with buying the best (or at least close to the best).

My reasoning is with low quality like the Rikon every time you use it it tells you it's junk. So I think whenever the cheap tool is used would it be worth 50 cents or a dollar to me to have a better tool, yes? Over the life of the cheap tool all those 50 cents or dollars might add up to the price of a better tool.

Where are you folks getting this business about $1500 Baldor grinders? On Amazon I see an 1800 rpm, 7" Baldor for under $700, a 6" is even less. I imagine you could find a good used one on Craigslist for half those prices, maybe less. (I'm about to list an 1800 rpm, 1/2 hp Baldor long arm buffer on a cast iron factory stand for $300).

Back