• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A big Thank You To AAW!!

I'm in my 27th year as a high school shop teacher. After Christmas this year my teaching postion moved to our counties School of Alternatives which is for students that have difficulties succeeding in the normal schools. Knowing that I would be teaching there after Christmas I wrote a grant to the AAW for funds to buy two new lathes for the shop on this campus. While there was one good lathe there and I've been able to use our local AAW club mini lathe there was a need for a few more. I found out this week that my school was awarded the grant which allowed us to order two new Delta 46-460's for our schools shop classes. In the short time I've been at the new school the students have become very involved in wood turning. They will ask to take their bowls out to show their teachers and sometimes their parents even before they are dry. It is great to see them excited about their ability to create something on the lathe.

I'm going to ask a favor of fellow AAW members. The shop is going to need a few more turning tools for the new lathes coming in. I've taken in 4 of mine already and will most likely take a few more in when the lathes come in. If anyone has a turning tool are two that they never use, our shop could use them. I have been shaping some old tools that the school had, all week so that they are of use. Any old gouge spindle or bowl and scrapers would be great. We can put handles on them and regrind them to be used.

Thanks everyone,

Jack Mincey

Jackson Co. School of Alternatives

3770 Skyland Drive

Sylva, NC 28779

Back