• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A bit of Levity

Picture 1 - Swamp Logger

Picture 2 - Preparing to cut a bowl blank

Picture 3 - Turning the inside of a bowl

:D

Attachments

• swamp-logger.jpg
    swamp-logger.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 265
  • big-tree.jpg
    big-tree.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Big-Foot.jpg
    Big-Foot.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 268
I was at a fair many years ago and saw a travel trailer made from a section of a giant redwood tree! I would like the bowl for my evening serving of ice cream. Love this thread! :D

The big log is a giant sequoia. They couldn't get much usable lumber from them because of the large size, and what happens to the wood as it falls and hits the ground. They tended to shatter. Maybe great for the grape stake fences, which were split staves.

robo hippy

Website
www.bowlturner.com
The big log is a giant sequoia. They couldn't get much usable lumber from them because of the large size, and what happens to the wood as it falls and hits the ground. They tended to shatter. Maybe great for the grape stake fences, which were split staves.

robo hippy

Reed,

It still looks pretty solid to me laying on terra firma. I believe those early loggers knew how to fell trees with out doing undue harm to their lively hood.

I once saw a pic in the Time Life books of a large group having a picnic on the stump of a large Redwood.

It was said that those back east thought it be lies when the reports of these trees reached them. But when a large trunk was sent to the Chicago World fair, all fears were put aside.

http://www.cathedralgrove.eu/text/05-Pictures-Politics-4.htm

But in my opinion it is a crime to fell these giants from our past.

But times were what they were. It is up to us to protect all these amazing trees for the future.

Dave, there is a touring exhibition of a hollowed out redwood log that has been turned into, for lack of a more suitable term, an R.V. I personally saw the exhibit at least 55 years ago at our County Fair. This past summer it was back, or a reproduction of it at least. Though it looked a bit smaller than I remembered it. :rolleyes:

Dave, there is a touring exhibition of a hollowed out redwood log that has been turned into, for lack of a more suitable term, an R.V. I personally saw the exhibit at least 55 years ago at our County Fair. This past summer it was back, or a reproduction of it at least. Though it looked a bit smaller than I remembered it. :rolleyes:

Of course it did. You were probably smaller 55 years ago too. I've had the same sensation with displays of lunch boxes, which look tiny now.

taller/shorter

Of course it did. You were probably smaller 55 years ago too. I've had the same sensation with displays of lunch boxes, which look tiny now.

One of the few jokes I remembered was a cartoon where a 6 foot man is holding the hand of a 2 1/2' child. They are standing by a 3 ' snow bank. Caption said " snow isn't as deep now anymore like when I was a child. It often was over my head."
With aging, water loss of the discs in the vertebra leads to shortening of your height. We just have to live long enough for the snow to be over our heads!!!!!;) Gretch

Joe, please note the emoticon. I had hoped it would convey a knowledge of the why. ;)

"Though it looked a bit smaller than I remembered it. :rolleyes:"

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I still remember visiting that giant slide that I was afraid to slide down when I was a kid. My memory said it was 30' tall. I'm 5'6" and it was barely as tall as me.

Back