• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Chunk of City provided Hard Maple

The city began removing a dying maple that was also rubbing a street light wire across the street from me this week. By yesterday they were getting closer to the trunk of the tree and by the afternoon the color started to show. I stepped over a mentioned I may want to talk them out of a piece when they got to the main trunk and they were game. about an hour before quitting time I stepped back out and was asked what piece I wanted. Eyeballing what was in the truck and where they had cut to, the size and expected weight as well as color spread while hoping to avoid any metal I made a choice. Asked for a 8-10 feet up on the main trunk below where they cut a couple of limbs and above a lateral crease in the bark, thinking it would be around 2 feet across.

Just before 9am there was knock on the door and I walked over to the log-jaw equipped grade-all with a 6 foot piece of log, branch stubs on one end and bark crease on the other. I took a look, and asked for the half I liked the best. They cut it into and delivered it to the shady side of the shop.

I believe I can get a couple of decent blanks out of this one. Need to sharpen the chainsaw and get it split and sized. Sealed the ends for now as I get things ready. What are your thoughts?

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

this is a nice piece and it looks like the coloring is nice as well. can't wait to see how this gets turned out. just check with the meter to see what the moisture levels at and due accordingly and you should a a few nice bowls. happy turning.

Back