• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Continuation of the Highschool Chuck Project

I feel like I need to establish some things first. This is a continuation of the thread started by my Partner in this project seen here:
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?11288-High-School-Engineering-group-needs-your-help
A few other things, I asked my partner to post on forums asking him to conduct some market research about our problem and how often it is encountered, the problem being the turning of irregularly shaped pieces (basically anything apart from the typical square or cylindrical pieces). I told him early on in the project about an already existing solution (the two jaw chuck) that I'd seen pipe makers use before for more bi symmetrical pieces, and how improving on it and making it more affordable (as many are custom made and very expensive) could be a possible solution. Unfortunately, this seemed to influence his market research, we really meant to focus on the problem itself and not the already existing solutions for it. Although you guys did provide A LOT of new information I didn't know of, so thank you for that. The market research we conducted off the internet looked like this (The second pic is the first page):
http://imgur.com/a/OIkPW
Another thing I need to say is that I am Andrew Creemer. The original thread was not posted by me, my partner used my name for some reason. Lastly, I'd like to apologize for any confusion that we were looking for a problem to fit the two jaw chuck concept, I've only been woodturning for under a year now, and happened to run into this problem. When this project came up I suggested it as I thought we could come up with a decent solution of our own or improve upon an already existing solution, where the two jaw chuck problem arose.

Now that that's all out of the way, I'd really like it if you can help us further by providing feedback on a few designs that we've narrowed down from our basic sketches. Bear in mind these are rudimentary annotated sketches, not meant to do anything besides convey a concept and a rough size approximation. Basically, apologies in advance for the poor drawing skills, we'll be correcting them later.

A brief survey along with the sketches is attached in a word document (I hope). EDIT: The survey would not fit with the sketches in it, I have removed them and posted them on a separate website ( http://imgur.com/a/kfgrF )
It would benefit us greatly if you could fill it out. If not, Thank you anyways for any information you gave us last time and for taking the time to read this.

ALSO, in order to make it possible for us to be able to create a working prototype, as well as to hopefully cut costs for the customer (hypothetically) we have designed these concepts as separate jaws that would fit onto a NOVA G3/G2 chuck.

Attachments

• Top 3 Concept Analysis Survey.doc
    33 KB · Views: 45

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If possible, I think that it would help to rotate the images. Although I was able to interpret the drawings by turning my head sideways, I suspect that some people might not want to spend the effort to do so. I could have downloaded the images and then de-rotate them in Photoshop, but it would be preferable to be able to view them online.

After briefly looking over the four drawings, my interpretation is that they would basically operate like the flat jaws of a vice -- is that correct?

It appears that the first two sketches are views of the same jaw -- is that correct? I assume that sketches #3 and #4 are the two alternate designs.

Perhaps a rough sketch showing your team's concept of how the two-jaw chuck would be used when holding a example irregular workpiece.

What will the end product of this project be ... a design paper, a mock-up, a working prototype or something else? What type of feedback are you looking for ... voting for favorite or opinion on how frequently it would be useful or a graybeard technical evaluation of the design ideas?

i have done 2 interviews with the us census bureau, both lasted over an hour. 1st time they came to my house, 2nd time over phone. after the 2nd interview I sent them a letter saying I would not do any more interview......it raised my blood sugar just answering the question......I now have received an offer of $40 to do another interview........the $ is not enough for the aggravation.

your chuck needs special conditions to want to use it......good luck.....

no xoxo just xxxxxx

I admire your courage and problem solving Bill, guinda dun

" I told him early on in the project about an already existing solution (the two jaw chuck) that I'd seen pipe makers use before for more bi symmetrical pieces, and how improving on it and making it more affordable (as many are custom made and very expensive) could be a possible solution. Unfortunately, this seemed to influence his market research, we really meant to focus on the problem itself and not the already existing solutions for it. "

Being an engineer I agree with everything Bill said above and with his questions. That said, I am a bit confused. You stated above that you want to focus on the problem, but what is the problem, holding an irregular piece for turning, or designing a new 2 jaw chuck? If it is holding an irregular piece, then Nova already has a worm screw that fits into their 4 jaw chucks and a faceplate, both of which I think will provide a better and safer attachment than a 2 jaw chuck with flat jaws that can only hold safely in one direction. If the probem is designing a set of 2 jaws for a Nova chuck, then I suggest you first do a systems analyst to determine if a two jaw system is needed or if other existing solutions are satisfactory and more cost efficient. If you decide that a 2 jaw system is needed, then look at various jaw shapes to determine whick will provide yhe strongest and safest system
Not trying to discourage you, just suggesting that up front analysis of the problem can save time and effort.
Keep in mind that turning a piece of wood is inherantly dangerous and therefore safety should be a major design parameter
Good luck and hope you do well in your study

Some answers

Alright, so what I need from you guys is a completion of the survey. I understand that all of you are very busy and have better things to do with your time, but I have to at least show my teacher that I explored all options of market research.

The problem we are attempting to solve is the turning of irregularly shaped pieces of a smaller size, nothing too big, just for smaller wood turning projects. Pipe making is the best example I can give of this, but flask making is another good example (I'll attach some pictures below). We do recognize safety as a major concern, and this is part of the reason we are asking you to fill out the survey. We aren't experts in this field, you guys are, and we'd really like your help.

To Bill specifically we are hoping to make a working prototype by the end of this school year, I know some people who can help us with this. As for feedback we'd like to receive, I'd really like you to fill out the survey, but any criticisms are greatly appreciated.

To Tom, We are trying to hold irregularly shaped pieces, if improving upon the two jaw chucks and making them more affordable is a way to accomplish that, it was listed as a possible solution. We have knowledge of screw chucks but we were holing for a system that won't mar the wood too much.

I think all other information really should be in the survey attached to the original post.

but flask making is another good example

we use a 4 jaw chuck for flask making safely

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
How? I totally forgot to take the picture of the flask I was talking about though, here it is. I feel like the typical four jaw chuck couldn't hold this, but I could be totally wrong.
If I wanted to hold your flask in my four jaw chuck, it would remove two opposing jaws making it a 2 jaw chuck.
If I wanted a grip that would not mar the surface I would Install two wooden jaws in my four jaw chuck.

I have a set of flat jaw plates for my Stronghold chuck. I can screw blocks of wood onto the plates and install them on the chuck.

I usually turn some profiles on the wood to fit what I want to hold. But a pieces of 2x4 could Used to hold the flask

Al

Last edited:
I have an insert for my chuck to use for boards and such....some may remember my multi-axis wall hangings....anyway it was sent to me by a knaper.....Jerry Marcanter........ see photos....notice you can ajust number of screws and length of screws depending on how or how not one wants to marr the wood
remember to pull up tailstock and change out to flat point or not

also you can mount on some mdf

Attachments

• P1110001.JPG
    P1110001.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 33
  • P1110002.JPG
    P1110002.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 32
to do the flask....I would use a faceplate and mdf.....glue or slat/screws board to mdf to hollow

the insert useful for the cairn box series and multi-axis flat wallhangings

I guess I could use the insert and make a tendon on the other side , use chuck with tendon , hollow out, finish turn outside , turn away tendon

Last edited:
Back