• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A good day in the shop

Hi all. I got this new to me old lathe in January and have been roughing out a lot of work, but yesterday and today I FINALLY turned something from start to finish.

I have no idea what kind of wood this it but they both came out of the same limb. I gave them a coat of BLO-DNA-shlc then buffed them with soft stick wax then hard stick wax.

They were wet when I started then and I turned them down to 1/4", sanded to 800 grit. The piths are in the middle and I didn't coat the bottoms with anything and will chase the cracks with CA as they form.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 86

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
put something on it now. The reason wood cracks it uneven drying. The bottom with the pith will dry very fast, shrink, and crack. If you put something on the bottom it will slow down the drying and you still might get cracks but they will be fewer and smaller.

I just did John. These have been done for 6 hours and the piths' started cracking a lot in that little time. I put thick CA in the cracks and thin over the entire bottom.

Back