• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Green Wood Box?

I was watching "Woodturning Techniques" today with Dave Hout. He and a student made a box out of green wood. He didn't go into finishes or waxes or drying? Why won't this box crack or warp? :confused:

I'm just curious as to how you can turn a box end grain from green and keep it true or solid.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dudley I haven't seen that show but I turn a lot of ornaments out of green wood and they always warp. I turn them thin so they rarely crack. I've made boxes from green wood but I rough them out and then dry them in the microwave. I won't say you can't make a box from green wood but if you do the lid probably won't fit after it dries. I suppose you could turn one where the lid sits on top and overlaps the bottom. When they both shrink and dry the lid would still fit on top but since they would both be oval the lid will only fit propery in one position.
Dave is pretty sharp so I figure he knows what he's doing. There may be another explanation for what he did on that demo.

Back