• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A rare bird (here!) - Bell and Gossett

Hi.
Just bumped into this bench grinder/motor. I've never seen (noticed) the brand before here in Europe.
The previous owner has no idea where it came from, but I guess it started out as a pump and later modified to a bench grinder.
The motor itself weighs around 15 pounds and it takes a max. of 6" wheel.
The spindle has a right hand thread telling me that the label might be correct and the thing wasn't born as a grinder.
If someone is able to make a qualified guess as to how old it is, please let me know.
I haven't started taking it apart yet. If someone has a tips to share, please do. Guess the bearings will be imperial size, so I'm a bit exited to see if I can find them around here.
The business end is closed with a disc that looks like it's cast iron. Readable text says
"B&G 128-52" and the two signs visible on photo #3.

Thanks for any help.

Your's,
Lars

Attachments

• BG1.jpg
    BG1.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 55
  • BG2.jpg
    BG2.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 55
  • BG3.jpg
    BG3.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
When I searched on the internet I came across the webpage below. I appears that the company is still in business in the same town. They are part of a larger enterprise Xylem. I wish you good luck in your search.

BellGossett.jpgBellGossett.jpg

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately none of the data on the motor label seem to lead to any useful info.
Here's the disc I mentioned.

Attachments

• BG4.jpg
    BG4.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 26
  • BG5.jpg
    BG5.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 25

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Unfortunately none of the data on the motor label seem to lead to any useful info.

There is no zip code, so it's date of manufacture is likely prior to 1963, and still using slotted screws (bolt heads)......so, could be much earlier than that.

-o-

Right-hand threads are unacceptable on the left side of a grinder. It was indeed an air pump to start with.

The patent dates back to 1957.

Tim

My mother's house, built in 1952 had a B&G motor on the hot water heat system. I've seen a lot of those old motors over the years, most of which had a rather short shaft. Most of them I've seen were painted red and were built for a specific purpose.

@ Odie: Thanks.
@ Tim: Agree. The wheel was locked with two nuts.
@ Don: Agree. I thought it was a 1/2 hp. Lesson learned: Remember to wear glasses. Impressive weight for such a weak motor.

I haven't started taking it apart yet. If someone has a tips to share, please do.

Why are you considering taking it apart?

There are a few reasons already mentioned to conclude it didn't start life as a bench grinder. One more reason is that part of the tool rest assembly extends lower than the motor's base. That would be unusual in a bench grinder requiring it to be mounted on the edge of a bench. Also, the cast iron disc might be intended as a flywheel.

I have a stranger situation. It's a Craftsman sander, 1x42 belt on the right end and originally had a missing sanding disc on the left end. Looking at the motor from the front where the motor label and the switch are both shaft ends were threaded in the wrong direction. And the motor turned in the wrong direction. A puzzle.... There seemed to be no reason or solution to make it right. This is one the old classic flat faced grinder motors that were standard with Craftsman for decades until they went with the 3rd world round grinder motors.

After thinking about the situation for a long while it occured to me the take the motor apart. The surprise is those motor armatures are symmetrical end for end. For some unknown reason somebody had purposely reversed the armature.

@ Doug: Only because the bearings are way past their best-before-day. But as Don pointed out, it's way underpowered for the grinding job, so I may skip buying new bearings - unless I get an idea for an alternative use.

Back