• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Woodturner Cover

What's with the October Journal Cover? I've loved the covers in the past. Nice enough to put in frames.
Not this one. Somebody needs to sharpen their gouge.

Website
www.etsy.com
Oh! I liked that cover.

and 'sharpen their gouge?' That's a very nice ribbon of wood coming off that gouge; I don't understand the criticism. The cover is clean and uncluttered; very classy. I like it a lot!

What's with the October Journal Cover? I've loved the covers in the past. Nice enough to put in frames.
Not this one. Somebody needs to sharpen their gouge.

Dennis,
Well, you're not the only one who hates this cover. I won't mention names, but can quote, "I'm glad you got this really bad one out of your system."

On the other hand, someone else said they love the fall/Halloween colors and the shadow of one of the shavings looks like a cat's tail.

I'm glad you like the other covers, though, thank you for saying so!

Anyone else care to weigh in with comments? Me, I'm busy sharpening my gouge for the next cover. It'll be a multiaxis-turned piece made by Barbara Dill and the design will be frame-able. :cool:

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
......Anyone else care to weigh in with comments?

OK, here is what I think: I think that it is just like any endeavor ... the way to expand your horizons is to try new things. And ... for a moment after peeling off the mailing cover, I had a fleeting thought that I was looking at the cover of a British woodturning magazine before realizing that this must be a new look for the journal. I thought that the overall design concept was worth a go.

Any complaints that I have would be primarily technical -- such as the printer must have cyan on backorder, but went ahead with the job anyway using just magenta, yellow, and black plates. The image quality is somewhat lacking and I wonder if it started out like that or was it just Photoshopped into that condition? Don't get me wrong -- I'm not against stylized images. One photography error that is evident is that it appears first curtain flash was used rather than second curtain. The result is that the trail behind the bright edge of the ribbon is going in the wrong direction. This isn't something that everybody might notice, but it looks like nobody noticed it in this instance. I'll admit that I am a stickler for minute details.

On the positive side, the image quickly directs the viewer's attention to the text on the page.

Overall, I like the concept although the banner design seems to be a bit of a knockoff of Fine Woodworking (from a number of years ago).

Last edited:
cat tails, what are they drinking, it looks like smoke to me
Yes , I did receive the magazine today [unread ]

Last edited:
The image quality is somewhat lacking and I wonder if it started out like that or was it just Photoshopped into that condition? .

Here's the original photo, which was then Photoshopped into its stylized condition. We considered numerous variations and the author graciously took several new images for our use. I wanted an action shot to focus attention on the technical article on gouges. Our art director, Linnea, is very creative and has been doing an excellent job bringing variety and a lively look to the design and layout of the journal.

Thank you, Bill, for your constructive comments, much appreciated. Not sure if you noticed, but for the last two issues, we've had a new printer (although we failed to note that in the front matter of the August issue). I especially liked the quality of the color in the August issue, but am not so sure about this issue, at least the ones I have on hand. A few photos are "off."

P.S. I sent you a PM a few days ago via the Forum. Did you receive it?

Attachments

• Cover photo.jpg
    Cover photo.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 181
I don't have a print copy to look at yet, but I looked at the online cover in the members area. I wasn't really sure what I was looking at. I mean, I knew it was wood, and that it was turning and that a gouge was in use so no problem for me with putting it on the cover of the journal. I don't frame the covers so the fact that this one wasn't frameable didn't bother me.

But I did wonder what the picture was. I was pretty sure it wasn't a bowl bottom or a nightlight or a turnfest (as teased in the banner). Could it maybe have been intended to be cut in half to reveal a profile of Mark Supik? Could it be a wooden bowl (funtional or not?)....it didn't look like it to me, but what do I know (not much apparently!)..

But looking at the picture Betty just posted it's now clear what it was. Maybe this issue should have included a contest with a prize for whoever guessed what was on the cover?

Looking forward to seeing the inside of the latest issue, but waiting for the print copy to show up.

Ed

the way to expand your horizons is to try new things. And

Anyone else care to weigh in with comments?

i agree Bill/Betty, when outside the norm, its not the end of the world if not everyone applauds it

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here's the original photo, which was then Photoshopped into its stylized condition. We considered numerous variations and the author graciously took several new images for our use. I wanted an action shot to focus attention on the technical article on gouges. Our art director, Linnea, is very creative and has been doing an excellent job bringing variety and a lively look to the design and layout of the journal.

Thank you, Bill, for your constructive comments, much appreciated. Not sure if you noticed, but for the last two issues, we've had a new printer (although we failed to note that in the front matter of the August issue). I especially liked the quality of the color in the August issue, but am not so sure about this issue, at least the ones I have on hand. A few photos are "off."

P.S. I sent you a PM a few days ago via the Forum. Did you receive it?

No, Betty, the last PM that I got from anybody was back in July. I checked my settings and I can receive PM's from anybody. Also, my mailbox is not full. Perhaps a different Bill?

While I am not a professional graphic designer (retired engineer), I am a NAPP member which helps to keeps me informed about some of the stuff going on in the field. I have been using Photoshop since the early 1990's. Just because I thought that the image processing seemed a bit heavy handed, that is just one person's opinion and nothing more. My philosophy is generally that "less is more" when it comes to photo editing.

I did notice a change in the appearance a couple issues ago, but did not really do any any critical looking. I have noticed that the shadows which are used to help "lift" turnings from the page have been looking much better recently. A while back, they were not being done nearly as well. Somebody told me that the graphics layout was being done by the publisher. Anyway it seems to be much more professional now.

I agree that the white balance is "off" in many of the images (too amber). It might be related to a print quality problem.

Being the editor of any kind of publication effort is certainly not easy and my hat is off to you for your accomplishments and dedication. I had a taste of it earlier this year being the head honcho for the calendar project that was part of our city's 75th anniversary celebration. Sometimes it was a challenge directing other people's work when true creativity crossed paths with Photoshop being used like a blunt instrument. In the end, it all came together reasonably well. Funny how a bit of window dressing sometimes works wonders. For anybody interested, I removed the lock and the calendar artwork can be seen in the first 20 images on the following link: DWG 75th Anniversary Calendar

Not too surprisingly, some not-so-good photos also made it into the calendar because of politics. I managed to "repurpose" some of the others that weren't exactly calendar material.

Front and back covers have issues

When I received my copy yesterday, I hardly paid any attention to the front cover. After reading the comments here, I went back and took another look. I was bothered by the lack of sharpness and detail in the gouge and wood curls. Possibly the exposure could have been improved. It was as though I did not see the content until I studied the photo the second time. I believe this cover could have been improved by pulling back several inches with improved lighting.

On the back cover I immediately questioned why the right back wheel of Ken Wraight's "Emperor's Carriage" was cropped off. It seems to me there was plenty of room to make everything fit. Was this a mistake?

Best regards,
Ed

On the back cover I immediately questioned why the right back wheel of Ken Wraight's "Emperor's Carriage" was cropped off. It seems to me there was plenty of room to make everything fit. Was this a mistake?

Best regards,
Ed

The cropping was intentional to create a balance for the overall look of the page.

The cropping was intentional to create a balance for the overall look of the page.

I understand and appreciate that an asymmetrical look was desired. However, a slightly smaller carriage could have solved what I perceive as an issue. My eye immediately goes to the left side where the wheel falls off the page.

Best regards,
Ed

No, Betty, the last PM that I got from anybody was back in July. I checked my settings and I can receive PM's from anybody. Also, my mailbox is not full. Perhaps a different Bill?
I did notice a change in the appearance a couple issues ago, but did not really do any any critical looking. I have noticed that the shadows which are used to help "lift" turnings from the page have been looking much better recently. A while back, they were not being done nearly as well. Somebody told me that the graphics layout was being done by the publisher. Anyway it seems to be much more professional now.

Bill, I will send you the message at your regular email.

Graphics are done by an independent design company, Albarella Design. AAW is the "publisher." Linnea Stenberg is the art director and is an employee of Albarella Design. She's a fairly recent college graduate who was thrust into the position when the initial art director decided not to return after having a baby (two years ago). Linnea is talented and gaining experience with each issue. She also regularly reads the AAW forum and has been reading this thread. I am really appreciating her contemporary approach and the fact that she has taken ownership of the design and layout. She and Jaime Thompson (production manager for Albarella) both attended the AAW symposium in Saint Paul ... their company happens to be located in South Saint Paul. Jaime and Linnea are wonderful to work with!

More comments: Malcolm Zander is a volunteer and he proofreads ever issue cover to cover just before it goes to press (thank you, Malcolm)! We also have a paid proofreader and a copyeditor, both are exceptional and great to work with. Increasingly good authors and such a great support staff makes my job enjoyable!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... After reading the comments here, I went back and took another look. I was bothered by the lack of sharpness and detail in the gouge and wood curls. Possibly the exposure could have been improved. It was as though I did not see the content until I studied the photo the second time. I believe this cover could have been improved by pulling back several inches with improved lighting....

Actually Ed, the original image seems well exposed, white balanced, and in focus as far as I can tell from the small version that Betty posted.

Artistic expression seems to be at least partially about seeing things in a new light. After thinking about it for a bit more, I think that the posterized look has merit in depicting turning from a somewhat impressionistic perspective. I now think that the source of any perceived failing is due to the medium (i.e., the print quality, paper, inks, half-tone screen size). This thought is reinforced by my impression that many of the images seem too flat and lacking the "punch" that I have become accustomed to seeing in the journal.

... Graphics are done by an independent design company, Albarella Design. AAW is the "publisher." Linnea Stenberg is the art director and is an employee of Albarella Design. She's a fairly recent college graduate who was thrust into the position when the initial art director decided not to return after having a baby (two years ago). Linnea is talented and gaining experience with each issue. She also regularly reads the AAW forum and has been reading this thread. I am really appreciating her contemporary approach and the fact that she has taken ownership of the design and layout. She and Jaime Thompson (production manager for Albarella) both attended the AAW symposium in Saint Paul ... their company happens to be located in South Saint Paul. Jaime and Linnea are wonderful to work with!

More comments: Malcolm Zander is a volunteer and he proofreads ever issue cover to cover just before it goes to press (thank you, Malcolm)! We also have a paid proofreader and a copyeditor, both are exceptional and great to work with. Increasingly good authors and such a great support staff makes my job enjoyable!

Thanks for all of the good information about who does what.

I'm amazed there are so much comments!! Comments on what may appear and what may not appear. Very firm and restricted ideas about what is art and what is not and now also how the restricted articles may look like!

I think that the editor must do the job and it is not possible for the editor to follow some person's personal taste and needs. A journal follows 'general' prescription goals and not personal goals of the individual members. Because if the AAW has 9000 members then there are 9000 tastes. If an editor has to follow everybody then she or he will be schizofrenic on a high level.

Squirrel

"schizofrenic on a high level"

You said it brother! I like the cover just fine though the cover is always secondary to the content. So far im really diggen the content.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Ditto Jarred

You guys are wasting way too much time talking about the cover. It's really not important what's on the cover. It's what's between the covers that's important. And the October 2011 issue has some great stuff between the covers. So, open up the magazine and enjoy the contents. Forget about what's on the cover. - John

I'm amazed there are so much comments!! Comments on what may appear and what may not appear. Very firm and restricted ideas about what is art and what is not and now also how the restricted articles may look like!

I think that the editor must do the job and it is not possible for the editor to follow some person's personal taste and needs. A journal follows 'general' prescription goals and not personal goals of the individual members. Because if the AAW has 9000 members then there are 9000 tastes. If an editor has to follow everybody then she or he will be schizofrenic on a high level.

Squirrel

The AAW has almost 14,000 members (if we could sign up 200 more woodturners by December, we'd hit 14,000 this year!), an even greater opportunity than 9,000 for me to be schizophrenic .... :D

I'm appreciating the discussion because during my first year as editor, the comments were often negative about the entire journal. Now, we are having a discussion about specific articles or the cover or some topic discussed. I like that.

The strength I brought to editing is content. I'm able now to pay more attention to the look and feel of the journal, so I am seriously tuned in to this supportive critical discussion. But you are right, Squirrel, the Editor must make the final decisions ... someone has to be responsible and accountable.

Where is October Digital Issue?

I'm looking for the digital version of the October AW issue in the members area. The August and earlier digital versions are there, but not the newest. Has it not been loaded yet?
Charlie M

I looked through a copy of said edition today (I only get the digital version) and found the cover interesting. Looking at turning through a microscope. First class work.

I'm looking for the digital version of the October AW issue in the members area. The August and earlier digital versions are there, but not the newest. Has it not been loaded yet?
Charlie M

Well, I cannot find it either. I've logged out and tried again, but same as you, I cannot find the October issue. The other four issues are there under 2011.

Wayne, where did you find the October issue? (I know others, too, who have looked at it online.)

Todd Hartley is the person in charge of uploading the journals and website questions, so if the October issue really is missing, or if you are having problems accessing the website, send Todd an email: todd@woodturner.org.

It was there the other day when I looked at it and I can still see it today. Here's a link (if it will work):

http://woodturner.org/Member/journal/2011.asp

This online issue doesn't have as many controls available as earlier issues for whatever reason, but you can still page through.

Ed

Thanks, Ed, the link worked, but Issue #5 is not there for me to see (#1, #2, #3, #4 are there). I just called Jean LeGwin, who cannot access it either. Email Todd on Monday.

Hi Betty - That is really weird. I wonder why I can see No. 5 and you can't???

Oh well, there are bigger mysteries in life to ponder than that....

Ed

Hi Betty - That is really weird. I wonder why I can see No. 5 and you can't???

Oh well, there are bigger mysteries in life to ponder than that....

Ed

I'm one step closer to figuring out the problem. I dusted off my old PC, went to the AAW website, and found issue #5 just fine. But it's still not available via my Mac. Jean has a Mac, too, and issue #5 is not available for her. No fair!

Anyone else with a Mac who can/cannot access issue #5? (Should I armor myself for some Mac trashing ..... ?)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I see all of the issues. It may be an issue with the bandwidth of your internet connection or it may be that you do not have the latest version of Flash installed. Or it could just be the phase of the moon and space aliens.

I'm one step closer to figuring out the problem. I dusted off my old PC, went to the AAW website, and found issue #5 just fine. But it's still not available via my Mac. Jean has a Mac, too, and issue #5 is not available for her. No fair!

Anyone else with a Mac who can/cannot access issue #5? (Should I armor myself for some Mac trashing ..... ?)

Betty,

Mac user here, can't see #5, but can see the others..............

Rich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Thanks John, My comments exactly. Interesting cover. Maybe not the best but then I don't worry about it. I'm on to the contents. That's where my interests are and it looks like it's going to be another fine issue. Now I'm back from my trip so I can take the time to enjoy it. As soon as I get off here anyway. :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... Anyone else with a Mac who can/cannot access issue #5? ...

... Mac user here, can't see #5, but can see the others......

For some reason unknown to us mere mortals, there was a long running feud between Apple and Adobe. Apparently, Steve Jobs had made a proclamation to never incorporate Flash in certain Apple products like the iphone and ipad. I don't know about their Macs. This decision has caused some problems for Apple since Flash has become the de facto standard for web animation and interactivity. Flash is classified as an RIA tool (rich internet application) that is able to provide desktop application functionality over the web. It is no secret that Apple only uses software technology that it owns so that they can maintain control over the way that all the components play together. I read that Adobe and Apple finally buried the hatchet a few months ago and Apple will be including Flash in its iphone, ipad, etc.

Flash player plug-ins for your browser are periodically updated, but Apple and PC updates do not always occur simultaneously. If the service provider that creates the Flash based journal for this site made a change in the version of Flash Professional (or whatever application that they use) and didn't verify that it is backwards compatible with previous Flash players for both PC and Mac computers, then they failed to properly perform cross platform and cross browser compatibility testing.

EDIT: The problem can also be related to settings that you are using in your browser application. For example, the default in Firefox is to disable Flash.

Last edited:
Still No October Issue

I see I'm not the only one having problems with the way the online AW is set up. The digital version of the October AW is still not there for me. This is a PC and I have Adobe 10.1.1 loaded and with Google Chrome as default browzer if any of that makes any difference. The earlier digital issues do appear although it can sometimes take a couple tries.

Charlie M

I've emailed Todd Hartley in the AAW office and received a reply. He also cannot see issue #5 on his computer. He said that he would look into the problem on Monday/Tuesday.

Dear Betty

Dear Betty, I am always amazed at the wealth of information that AAW members are willing to provide. It's one of the reasons I joined. I'm afraid I have nothing to add about the cover, but I did read the issue cover to cover. I think it is much improved with you as editor. Thanks to you and all the contributors who keep adding to our knowledge and sometimes to our critical faculties.

Back