• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Woodturner Cover

It does make a difference. Chrome disables Flash by default. Check your set-up options for Chrome.

It is only the OCT. issue that does not appear. All previous issues are there even with Chrome. So what was changed for the Oct online journal?

Charlie M

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It is only the OCT. issue that does not appear. All previous issues are there even with Chrome. So what was changed for the Oct online journal?

Charlie M

Creating a Flash document is somewhat like creating a PDF document in the sense that the software for creating these files is periodically updated and the document author needs to specify the level of backwards compatibility. Making a document compatible with all previous versions may mean some loss of functionality while not allowing backwards compatibility ensures maximum functionality at the cost of many users not being able to access the document. That might not have anything to do with this situation, but is a consideration.

Last edited:
I'm one step closer to figuring out the problem. I dusted off my old PC, went to the AAW website, and found issue #5 just fine. But it's still not available via my Mac. Jean has a Mac, too, and issue #5 is not available for her. No fair!

Anyone else with a Mac who can/cannot access issue #5? (Should I armor myself for some Mac trashing ..... ?)

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Mac user, can't see any journals but that is probably the flash/safari crap.

Great Job! Always enjoy my journal cover to cover. I can't allow myself to save every magazine, but for now these stay.

Charlie M

Well the Oct issue has now arrived on my screen. So thanks to whoever made that possible.

Charlie M

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Betty, I've never had a problem with getting my AAW journal. If via mail, any problem, however minor it may have been, was always resolved quickly.

Even though I've only been a member since 2003, I've always been pleased with the content of the journal, even more so since you came on board as editor. Keep up the good work. I hope you are editor of the journal for a very long time. Thank you.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Apparently the compatibility with Mac display problem was fixed, but in the process, it has been altered to remove or modify some of the functionality that was previously there such as multi-page thumbnail view, some display options, magnifier is a bit different (don't click on the magnifying glass or it will kick you out of full screen -- instead click on a slider that give no hint of being a magnifier) and printing pages. It may be at least viewable, but it is not quite in lock step with the way that the other issues are displayed.

Something that I am wondering about for all of the magazine issues that are in color. I think that there may be a problem with the way that the CMM (color management module) has been set up because the colors are displaying over saturated on my monitor. I would think that if feasible, it would be nice to have the color set to soft proof so that it more closely emulates the printed magazine or at least insure that color management is turned on and set to sRGB.

Back