• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Basket illusion tool(s)

I am interested in trying a basket weave or illusion of a basket weave. Please share sources and types of lathe tools, color pens, and burning tips.
Your lessons learned in your first attempts to create this illusion are also welcome.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am interested in trying a basket weave or illusion of a basket weave. Please share sources and types of lathe tools, color pens, and burning tips.
Your lessons learned in your first attempts to create this illusion are also welcome.

For beading, the tools from D-Way are by far the the best. There are two sizes that I use, ⅛" and ³⁄16" My first couple pieces were done with Sorby beading tools, but they really aren't well adapted to this purpose.

Originally, I used DetailMaster bead burning pens. They were a special order item and hard to get, but they were the best by a long shot. When DetailMaster went out of business, there weren't any good options. Fortunately, after several of us who did basket illusion pieces discussed this online, Harvey Meyer contacted PJL Enterprises, the company that makes the Optima 1 burner and pens and they created a special pen that precisely matches the ⅛" D-Way beading tool profile. I think that their bead burning pen is even better than the old DetailMaster pen. Since then they have also created additional bead burning pens to match other sizes of D-Way beading tools. Here is a link to their pens. The last two are the bead burning pens. You will also need an assortment of other pens. For the herringbone rim I use a medium size DetailMaster skew pen, but Optima has similar skew pens. If you haven't done any pyrography before, you really ought to take at least one class to learn the skills that separate scorching wood from drawing on wood. Years ago, I took a woodburning class from Andi Wolfe and more recently I took a class from Janice Levi. Plan on also investing a lot of time refining your skills in this area.

I use Copic Original (Classic) markers with super fine nibs for coloring the patterns and select colors that closely emulate original Native American materials used in weaving. For example, on the Navajo Wedding Basket design shown below I used Burnt Sienna for the red and Dark Bark for the black. There are many sources, but Oozak.com has the best selection and prices by far. You will also need ink refills, nibs, and possibly other supplies like toners and fine line pens for detail work.

The wood that I use is maple, preferably hard maple. It seems to be hard to find in large sizes so you're on your own on that. The piece below is 14½" diameter, about 3" deep, and about ¼" thick at the top of the beads and scary thin between the beads. :eek: The beading and patterns on the front and back need to match closely for realism. The thickness also needs to be realistic. For turning large thin piece like this, you also will need a thick leather glove to steady the wood while beading it.

There are basically two schools of thought on creating the beading design. One is a design made popular by the late David Nittmann where the beads are divided into even rows and columns of tiles and colored with India ink or paints. If you search for Harvey Meyer, his work is an excellent example of that style. I pattern my work after the style of Jim Adkins which emphasizes realistic reproductions of Native American basket designs.

To lay out the pattern, I first draw it in a CAD program that I use, DeltaCad. I then print it out full size on large format paper and transfer marks to the wood. That is a very tedious process, but the results are worth it. Trying to do it by eyeball just won't hack it.

The pyrography work is the slowest and most mind-numbing tedious part and by the end of the first piece you feel like you have gone half crazy. That actually might be a good thing because that means you will be good to go for producing more basket illusion pieces. :) :p I'm sure that there's a zillion other things that I forgot to mention. Stick with it. The first few pieces may not look great, but each one is a necessary part of the learning process.

As far as lessons learned, I could probably write a book, but don't plan on it. Don't plan on instantly becoming an expert and you won't be disappointed. Actually, even the less than perfect pieces will look good. Despite all the tedious work, I've found that the end result is highly rewarding. Sanity isn't a requirement, but perseverance is.

index.php

For beading, the tools from D-Way are by far the the best. There are two sizes that I use, ⅛" and ³⁄16" My first couple pieces were done with Sorby beading tools, but they really aren't well adapted to this purpose.

Originally, I used DetailMaster beading pens. They were a special order item and hard to get, but they were the best by a long shot. When DetailMaster went out of business, there weren't any good options. Fortunately, after several of us who did basket illusion pieces discussed this online, Harvey Meyer contacted PJL Enterprises, the company that makes the Optima 1 burner and pens and they created a special pen that precisely matches the ⅛" D-Way beading tool profile. I think that their bead burning pen is even better than the old DetailMaster pen. Since then they have also created additional beading tools to match other sizes of D-Way beading tools. Here is a link to their pens. The last two are the beading pens. You will also need an assortment of other pens. For the herringbone rim I use a medium size DetailMaster skew, but Optima has similar skews. If you haven't done any photography before, you really will need to take at least one class to learn the difference between scorching wood and drawing on wood. Years ago, I took a woodburning class from Andi Wolfe and more recently I took a class from Janice Levi. Plan on also investing a lot of time refining your skills in this area.

I use Copic Original (Classic) markers with super fine nibs for coloring the patterns and select colors that closely emulate original Native American materials used in weaving. For example, on the Navajo Wedding Basket design shown below I used Burnt Sienna for the red and Dark Bark for the black. There are many sources, but Oozak.com has the best selection and prices by far. You will also need ink refills, nibs, and possibly other supplies like toners and fine line pens for detail work.

The wood that I use is maple, preferably hard maple. It seems to be hard to find in large sizes so you're on your own on that. The piece below is 14½" diameter about 3" deep and about ¼" thick at the top of the beads and scary thin between the beads. :eek: The beading and patterns on the front and back need to match closely for realism. The thickness also needs to be realistic. For turning large thin piece like this, you also will need a thick leather glove to steady the wood while beading it.

There are basically two schools of thought on creating the beading and design. One is a design made popular by the late David Nittmann where the beads are divided into even rows and columns of tiles and colored with India ink or paints. If you search for Harvey Meyer, his work is an excellent example of that style. I pattern my work after the style of Jim Adkins which emphasizes realistic reproductions of Native American basket designs.

To lay out the pattern, I first draw it in a CAD program that I use, DeltaCad. I then print it out full size on large format paper and transfer marks to the wood. That is a very tedious process, but the results are worth it. Trying to do it by eyeball just won't hack it.

The pyrography work is the slowest and most mind-numbing tedious part and by the end of the first piece you will have lost our marbles. That's a good thing because that means you will be good to go for producing more basket illusion pieces. :) I'm sure that there's a zillion other things that I forgot to mention. Stick with it. The first few pieces may not look great, but each one is part of the learning process.

As far as lessons learned, I could probably write a book, but don't plan on it. Don't plan on instantly becoming an expert and you won't be disappointed. Despite all the tedious work, the end result is highly rewarding. Sanity isn't a requirement, but perseverance is.

index.php
Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I'll start out with a small simple design so as not to become discouraged.

If you want to burn a basket weave texture check out molly winton new video. It shows how to make the basket weave brand, as well as a couple others love the look. For beading tools dway is the best pricey but worth every dime

Tony, I just completed my first piece. i watched Harvey Mayers video multiple times. I bought the beading tools from D-way and they are excellent. I would consider them a must. One important note. Harvey's video and many other talk about the "fish scale" tips they use for creating the verticle lines. That is the most time consuming part of this.... if you use the fish scale burning tips. However, last month (Feb 2017) a new video popped up on your tube by Doug Schneiter. He uses a skew tip to create those lines. I tried both and the skew is 3-4 times faster and produces every bit as good a result. Note the Harvey Mayer's your tube video was recorded back in 2014 but I read Harvey's article in the October issue of AAW magazine and he is now using the sku technique. It's way faster. I finished this one this week and the burning and coloring part probably took me about less than 5 hours. I am working on a platter right now and expect I'll have it finished in a week or so. The time depends much more on how many "tiles" you are going to color. 20170314_212714.jpg

The earliest basket illusion pieces were done by Lincoln Seitzman using a combination of techniques including segmenting, beading, and coloring with pen and ink. Here is a link to his Yokut Snake Basket.

Looking carefully at the basket linked to you can see something interesting. All the little colored rectangles are the same size. Which means each horizontal bead had to be divided into a different number of rectangles based on the diameter of the vessel at that height. That's quite an undertaking. A good application for bobbeaupre's computerized indexer.

Website
www.harveymeyer.com
I do not use a skew to burn the radial lines. I use a medium skew to create a weave pattern around the rim, something that most others do not attempt. To burn the radial lines, I am currently using the Optima 21AEF pen. If you look at the burn lines on my pieces vs the lines burned by a skew, you'll see the difference. My lines are thinner and not over burned. Just wanted to set things straight here. I do not use a skew as you stated and my article does not say that either.
Harvey

Tony, I just completed my first piece. i watched Harvey Mayers video multiple times. I bought the beading tools from D-way and they are excellent. I would consider them a must. One important note. Harvey's video and many other talk about the "fish scale" tips they use for creating the verticle lines. That is the most time consuming part of this.... if you use the fish scale burning tips. However, last month (Feb 2017) a new video popped up on your tube by Doug Schneiter. He uses a skew tip to create those lines. I tried both and the skew is 3-4 times faster and produces every bit as good a result. Note the Harvey Mayer's your tube video was recorded back in 2014 but I read Harvey's article in the October issue of AAW magazine and he is now using the sku technique. It's way faster. I finished this one this week and the burning and coloring part probably took me about less than 5 hours. I am working on a platter right now and expect I'll have it finished in a week or so. The time depends much more on how many "tiles" you are going to color. View attachment 22223

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The way that I use the woodburning beading tool is the way that Jim Adkins does it by making very light marks that don't char the wood. The individual burn marks aren't aligned vertically, but I try to maintain a uniform spacing along each row. If you zoom in on the picture in post number 3 above, you can see what I mean. The indexing machine would not work for what I do because using the burning pen requires more finesse than an automated process would produce.

The way that I use the woodburning beading tool is the way that JimAdkins does it by making very light marks that don't char the wood. The individual burn marks aren't aligned vertically, but I try to maintain a uniform spacing along each row.

Just now looking at some of the valuable old baskets my wife inherited the rectangles or "tiles" aren't uniformly spaced on each row. More of a random spacing with an occasional very close spacing to fill a row.

The randomness of the weaving seems to be a factor in the attractiveness of woven baskets.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have also noticed the variation, but I wouldn't call it random ... just not perfectly regular. I do try to maintain a somewhat even spacing, but it still varies since it is an eyeball measurement and done very quickly.

Tony, I just completed my first piece. i watched Harvey Mayers video multiple times. I bought the beading tools from D-way and they are excellent. I would consider them a must. One important note. Harvey's video and many other talk about the "fish scale" tips they use for creating the verticle lines. That is the most time consuming part of this.... if you use the fish scale burning tips. However, last month (Feb 2017) a new video popped up on your tube by Doug Schneiter. He uses a skew tip to create those lines. I tried both and the skew is 3-4 times faster and produces every bit as good a result. Note the Harvey Mayer's your tube video was recorded back in 2014 but I read Harvey's article in the October issue of AAW magazine and he is now using the sku technique. It's way faster. I finished this one this week and the burning and coloring part probably took me about less than 5 hours. I am working on a platter right now and expect I'll have it finished in a week or so. The time depends much more on how many "tiles" you are going to color. View attachment 22223
Beautiful work! Thanks for the information

I do not use a skew to burn the radial lines. I use a medium skew to create a weave pattern around the rim, something that most others do not attempt. To burn the radial lines, I am currently using the Optima 21AEF pen. If you look at the burn lines on my pieces vs the lines burned by a skew, you'll see the difference. My lines are thinner and not over burned. Just wanted to set things straight here. I do not use a skew as you stated and my article does not say that either.
Harvey
Thanks for the response Harvey... Makes since to me. time vs quality, the choice is ours! for my first piece I choose time, but next time....

Last edited:
Ok, I need advise. I finished a basket illusion vessel with decent results. So now I am trying a platter. I tried to use formica laminate and wilson art laminate samples some have recommended, but am having no luck. The laminate begins to melt away before the wood burns! It's a 10" platter out of hard maple and I tried burning at 1000 and 1300 RPM's. same result. I held the laminate for 4-5 seconds and it just begins to melt with very little burn to the wood. Help! I can't think of any other material to try.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ok, I need advise. I finished a basket illusion vessel with decent results. So now I am trying a platter. I tried to use formica laminate and wilson art laminate samples some have recommended, but am having no luck. The laminate begins to melt away before the wood burns! It's a 10" platter out of hard maple and I tried burning at 1000 and 1300 RPM's. same result. I held the laminate for 4-5 seconds and it just begins to melt with very little burn to the wood. Help! I can't think of any other material to try.

The substrate for Formica is a phenolic resin which is a thermoplastic so it shouldn't melt, but maybe the top layer is a different kind of material. However, it will burn and wear down. I think that you need to use a much higher speed. Break the Formica so that you have a piece with a thin edge. Sand the broken edge so that you have a straight edge to fit in the groove. David Nittmann used worn out sanding belts which are a similar material but more flexible and longer. Grind away the abrasive along the edge. I have a large paper thin sheet of phenolic resin that was used as electrical insulating material on aircraft. It was surplus that my employer has in the employee store where you could buy all sorts of neat stuff. Now that I have said all that, I should add that I no longer burn the grooves between the beads. I feel like the natural shadows are sufficient and give a more realistic appearance, but the downside of what I do is that I must be very precise in turning the beads so that they are very tightly spaced without gaps. I didn't like the fact that burning the grooves widened the gaps.

I understood that Formica was layers of craft paper impregnated with resin. The top layer was printed paper. There are other laminates that are solid color, and those are different materials and more brittle.

I haven't attempted any real "vessels of illusions" yet, but I have used P-Lam (plastic laminate) for burning borders on platters, bowl rims and sometimes accents on boxes. There is a vertical grade P-Lam that is thinner and bends better one way then the other, so it is able to be bent into more of an arc and fit into the grove easier. I find that more contact is better than more pressure. So a one inch wide piece of plastic would not burn as well as a three inch wide piece of plastic.
I also sand the edge thinner for a better line and sand the leading corner off so it doesn't scar the edge of the grove. Another thing to think about is the wood itself, if you want a wood that friction burns easy try cherry, I've had some burn just by looking at it hard...Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration...but not by much...
cc

Website
www.harveymeyer.com
Dave - I use formica laminate to burn the line between beads. The laminate is thinned to .015" thickness. Otherwise it's too thick and only burns the sides of the beads without getting to the bottom. A piece about 1 - 1.5" wide is all you need and it does melt away, but one linear inch should handle the platter. You can also use thick heavyweight paper backed sandpaper - it also measures .015 thick. You'll need to speed the piece up a bit to get a burn. Lastly, and you probably know this, but you have to be working with dry wood.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Correction to my earlier post. The sheets that I have are phenolic formaldehyde thermosetting resin (AKA Bakelite) on a woven fabric substrate that is either nylon or glass. The sheets are 0.010" thick.

Formica is a melamine formaldehyde thermosetting resin.

The phenolic resin produces a very distinctive smell when it burns which is reminiscent of an electrical fire because phenolic resin is used extensively in electrical insulaton. I don't recall whether there was any odor from Formica when I used it to burn grooves. The thing that I like about the phenolic sheets is that they are somewhat flexible so that it is easy to curve them to fit a groove between beads.

Thanks to all who replied. I tried again with some wilson art countertop samples I got from lowes. It worked better than the formica because it is thinner and I had done 1/8" beads. I had to leave it on much longer than I had originally done to get it to heat up enough to do the job. I think that in the future I will stick with 3/16" beads. they seem much easier to work with, not to mention being able to use the brush point instead of the fine point to color.

Also thank you Harvey for your comments on using a sku vs a fishscale tip. I appreciate the difference. Speed vs quality. A choice we all have to make. I am not selling my stuff so I will continue using the sku, but turning down the heat, and working a little slower.

Again, thanks to all

Back