• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best face shield to fly/travel with.

Question for those who fly to demos and events. What is the most easy to pack/transport face shield. I use a Trend in my shop but that is just too big. Bought a Jackson recently because I thought it would be better but then realized it doesn’t have any noggin protection. Not going to use it while turning, will find some viable use though as it’s kind of cool. Thinking of maybe trying the Uvex? Looking for input from those who travel for turning events and bring their own shields. Thanks!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I take my Uvex when I remember but have not taken one on the plane. I turn mostly small things and don't need a faceshield but some clubs require one. I can travel with a smaller one because I don't turn anything that will explode so it's there to keep shavings out of my face and please the powers that be, not necessarily for protection. that's just my way of doing things however and probably shouldn't be everyone else's. Another option if your flying it to require the club to furnish one.

I take my Uvex when I remember but have not taken one on the plane. I turn mostly small things and don't need a faceshield but some clubs require one. I can travel with a smaller one because I don't turn anything that will explode so it's there to keep shavings out of my face and please the powers that be, not necessarily for protection. that's just my way of doing things however and probably shouldn't be everyone else's. Another option if your flying it to require the club to furnish one.
Thanks John. I should clarify more...I’m flying to Portland to work for Nova at AAW and am also flying to SWAT to work and demonstrate, in addition to some other events and symposiums.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jeff,
Got the journal today. Nice photos of the “eel” and “fire pit”
Congrats to you and @john lucas for his article.

I take my uvex. For demos I usually take an old pelican case I have.
I put the uvex in small box that fits in the case and then stuff my smock inside the uvex
Along with other small soft stuff like masking tape.

I’m have also taken it apart and it packs among clothes in suitcase or duffel.

Ordered a Uvex based on this. Just starting to figure out how I want my Pelican case packed as well. Soo many details!! Thanks for your input, all!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ordered a Uvex based on this. Just starting to figure out how I want my Pelican case packed as well. Soo many details!! Thanks for your input, all!
My pelican is 12#12#30 something.
I put the turning tools and tool roll on the bottom then have everything else in plastic cases and cardboard boxes.
Somewhat organized by the demo they go with.
Still can’t find anything when I get there.

Have fun!

Back