• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Trans Tint dye for ebonizing maple or popular?

I would like to make some miniature bat house ornaments (birdhouse ornaments with orange walls and black roof) but I can't afford ebony for the roof.

How well does black Trans Tint dye work for ebonizing the maple or popular roof? What application method works best?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I recommend black leather dye. 2nd choice opaque black airbrush paint ( can apply with a small brush). Both will work on maple and poplar.

finish turn & sand the roofs put on nitril gloves pour a little leather dye in a disposable cup
Brush on with a foam brush let dry.

I usually use Waterlox over the leather dye. The more coats the shinier.

Fiebing's Leather Dye - USMC Black 32 Oz is $25 on Amazon. It will last you forever. No mixing.

all these examples have sand carved images.

black leather dye - USMC black

Critrus E300F849-22C5-4C30-9812-9DFBC222DFAE.jpeg
These are holy, A6BE5EE5-789A-41A2-A5DD-C1398DB430F8.jpeg Citrus B553AC8E-167F-4F2E-B81A-A71369111FD5.jpeg
Camphor 41E40A1B-62D6-4D16-9AA5-0D3D32E2E170.jpeg

black airbrush paint cherry
CFB50C07-2084-445E-8F61-D539478FAEF3.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had a lot of fun ebonizing with an iron solution. Walnut turns very black, looking just like ebony. The cost is nearly zero: take steel wool, (clean the oil off with a solvent if preferred), place in a glass jar, pour in white vinegar to cover the steel wool, and let work for a while with a loose fitting lid on.

After a week or two, you can dip a small rag in the solution and test it on some wood. Initially, it looks gray, then abruptly after 30 seconds or so, it gets darker and darker. When you think it's ready, strain out the residual steel wool, usually just fragments by then. It'll maintain potency for a few months if you put on a snug cap.

(CAUTION: Always wear gloves when working with this stuff as it will stain your skin. Clearly mark the jar as poisonous and keep away from kids.)

In reality, this is just another way to stain the wood, so use whatever you like.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The reason I went with Trans tint and or Shoe dye is Ebonizing was inconsistent and did not give me the color I wanted most of the time. It's an interesting process but I simply wanted more control. Airbrush colors work amazing.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I've used the steel/vinegar solution, and had some good results, mainly on walnut. But also some pieces (walnut) that just wouldn't go black, so I gave it up.

I'm now using India Ink on maple with pretty good results. Mainly using it for things like finials and small lids. I wipe it on, sand down the raised grain after it dries, and wipe on another coat. If it soaks in, I just add more till it's good. Usually something like a rattle-can lacquer over that for shine.

I also use India Ink to color epoxy (just takes a drop) to fill small voids and cracks.

Bought a ridiculously large (pint) container on amazon for around $12. A more reasonable sized container would have been a better idea - less to spill all over myself.

I have used black leather dye, Trans Tint, and Chestnut Stain. All three work. The leather dye is the most opaque, Trans Tint will show more grain, and Chestnut stain is somewhere in-between IMO. Depends on the look you want. I haven’t tried the vinegar/steel solution.

I came across this video a while back and he discusses all the different types of ebonizing and the pros & cons of each. as a result I switched from the vinegar/steel wool method to india ink.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0E7E6uSPJY&t=1515s
Thanks, after watching the video I recall seeing it years ago.

While watching I was wondering about using the india ink with a vacuum chamber to get deeper penetration. Has anyone tried this? What about adding india ink to cactus juice and stabilizing?

The steel wool vinegar works through a reaction with tannins in the wood. High tannins, almost instant black color. Low tannins equal very little color change. If you want to try it, use a piece of white oak - almost instant color change.

Low tannin woods can be pretreated with tannins to enhance the color change. Some will use a tea solution, or buy some tannic acid. The problem is differential absorption of the solution and inconsistent color.

Unless you want to do an "all natural" finish, the alternatives mentioned above are much quicker and reliable.

I've used the steel/vinegar solution, and had some good results, mainly on walnut. But also some pieces (walnut) that just wouldn't go black, so I gave it up.

I'm now using India Ink on maple with pretty good results. Mainly using it for things like finials and small lids. I wipe it on, sand down the raised grain after it dries, and wipe on another coat. If it soaks in, I just add more till it's good. Usually something like a rattle-can lacquer over that for shine.

I also use India Ink to color epoxy (just takes a drop) to fill small voids and cracks.

Bought a ridiculously large (pint) container on amazon for around $12. A more reasonable sized container would have been a better idea - less to spill all over myself.
I'll second the India ink on maple. I've used it a few times, and like the effect. I bought it at a Staples near me.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I forgot about India Ink. I have used that quite successfully. I think it rubs off less. I have trouble with shoe dye in that it seems like it takes more finish to cover it up so it won't bleed on my buffing wheels. You can get calligraphy inks in all colors and they work really well for coloring wood. I use it mostly to put stripes on turnings kind of like marking your arrows so you know which ones were yours. However you can color whole spindle with them. The India Ink is much less expensive.
As far as penetration. I have not tried vacuum but used heat and let the wood soak overnight. It does not penetrate far enough to be of any use if you want to turn it later. I also tried dying veneer and it sort of works but it turns out it's easier to buy it the color you want. I was hoping to get thicker veneers by dying it myself but just never could get it to penetrate far enough to be of any use.

Back