• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bottom of Bowl Designs and Signatures

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have two brands that I use. One with my name and logo and one with just the logo. Which one I use is mostly dependent on the size of the piece and also what its for. If I'm planning to give it to a neighbor or someone I know well, I'm fine with just the logo. If I am selling it I'd prefer to have the name and logo. I tried writing my name and although I have decent handwriting, I wasn't happy with how those came out. I spent real money on the name/logo brand which is really nice and was cut from a block of brass. The smaller one was $30 off etsy and came from Hong Kong. Both work really well but I dropped the smaller one and the border dented a little. I always do a test burn on scrap before I hit the bowl to make sure its hot enough. I just use a hand held propane torch to heat them up.

result_img_2023_11_18_09_35_20.jpg20231213_151409.jpg

Nathan the quality of the signature looks great. Any link for the branding iron you bought?
Just search for branding iron on Etsy and there are plenty. If they say 30 days it will be almost to the day for delivery. I have a large and a small brand.

Back