• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buckeye burl finish

I have been turning buckeye burl for years now. The finish turns it yellow. I use Master's spray lacquer from Craft's Supply. Does anyone know of a different finish that will not turn it yellow? Appreciate any help.
Dave

I don’t get it. Buckeye is yellow when finish is applied.
That’s why people buy it. Also gets black streaks when aged with moisture or you spread mayo on it and put under black plastic in heat of day for a month.

While I don’t have much data on it over a long period of time, I have experimented with Osmo Oil over the past several months and been surprised at how little it effects the color of the madrone, maple and black acacia pieces I’ve tried it on. Not a high gloss finish, but can be overcoated with wax for a soft luster. I do like the way it doesn’t darken the wood significantly while still highlighting the grain.

You've not tried acrylic or water based lacquer or poly? It most cases, water based will not yellow. No idea what sheen, or build you are doing now.

Back