• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Burl cutting or not

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Might get a chance to cut this burl up. It’s probably been cut for thirty years and although cracked seems solid. He said it came out of Mexico but does not know what the wood is. My question is would you cut on it if given the opportunity or skip it.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1653.jpeg
    IMG_1653.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 135

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hard to tell much frOm the picture. I probably would cut off a few thin slices with a bandsaw to see what is below.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
If you don’t end up cutting, I like it as a table.
It looks rough but I think there is some nice wood in there. I have been trying to cut into it for 10+years but the owner is attached to it. Ran into him the other day and I thought he was ready, wanted to trade some pieces for wood. Went out to look again, gets rougher every time I see it but he changed his mind again. He’s now 82 and is really attached to it.

I was gifted a large walnut burl a few years ago that had sat outside in a wood yard for many years. It was the gnarliest thing I’d ever seen. Someone had at one time taken a good sized slice out of one side (about 25% of the burl) the rest was left in the sun, rain and whatever snows fall up near Chico CA for nearly 2 decades before I got it. Cracked and homely, I started cutting away and came up with several bowl blanks - 2 were 24”+, about 6 more smaller open form bowls, and three or four long tool handles. All good, sound and very attractive wood. We’ll worth hauling it home.
Go slow, and just start cutting, what you find may surprise you. If not, what you learn can be put to use, too.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
I was gifted a large walnut burl a few years ago that had sat outside in a wood yard for many years. It was the gnarliest thing I’d ever seen. Someone had at one time taken a good sized slice out of one side (about 25% of the burl) the rest was left in the sun, rain and whatever snows fall up near Chico CA for nearly 2 decades before I got it. Cracked and homely, I started cutting away and came up with several bowl blanks - 2 were 24”+, about 6 more smaller open form bowls, and three or four long tool handles. All good, sound and very attractive wood. We’ll worth hauling it home.
Go slow, and just start cutting, what you find may surprise you. If not, what you learn can be put to use, too.
Thanks Jeff - This is encouraging. The owner originally thought it might be walnut but coming from Mexico I’m thinking something else. Now if I can just get him to cut it open.

It goes without saying to decide what you wish to make before you cut it, bowls, platters, vases. The resulting figuring will change depending on the way you cut it up.

This is a 25” mesquite Burl I’ve been trying to harvest the last three years. How I have to decide how I’m going to dissect it. It may take another three years for me to figure that one out.IMG_0347.jpeg

Looks nice Steve. Wish I lived closer to big mesquite.
We're getting lucky here in AZ. State capitol is renovating their sites and the olive and mesquite trees are being pulled out. I met one of the contactors and he gives me first refusal on the trees including the root ball. He pulls them out with a claw and keeps the trunk and root on the flatbed. The branches and leaves go in the mulching truck. My front yard looks more and more like a tree graveyard.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Started cutting this Burl this morning. Wish you had talked me out of it. Walnut Burl will be good for inlay or casting. Sometimes I get myself into stuff I wish I had not started. Funny thing about this burl was that the part that looked the worst was actually the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 32
Back