• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chris Chartier

Hi there. I guess I'm the newest newbie (read that as "complete beginner") here having just registered yesterday.

I started getting into woodworking this last year and have only been doing some basic woodworking to try to build my skills up. I've known for years I eventually wanted to dabble in woodworking, but never had the time/space, etc.... We moved this last year and I have more space now to start playing with.

Unfortunately, I've had to take a break these last few months due to a shoulder issue I've been dealing with (just had surgery on it about 1 1/2 weeks ago).

In this down time, I've started watching youtube videos on wood turning and realize this is the direction I want to take this hobby. Especially the fun stuff adding colorful epoxy resin in and creating beautiful art pieces.

When I'm able to get back at it, I'll continue some basic woodworking for a bit to hone my skills a bit more (still quite a newbie), but I'd like to buy a lathe and start turning. Maybe adding some power carving to the mix as well.

Hope to get to know you all and learn lots of great things.

Welcome to the forum. You might also want to look for a woodturning club as they can be a tremendous help in getting started.
Thanks. I joined both national AAW group and a local one yesterday. I’m hoping to meet up with the local group soon and start learning the vocabulary and basics before buying equipment.

Besides, I bought enough equipment last year just initially getting into woodworking that my wife probably won’t approve a big lathe purchase just yet.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Chris. Sounds like you might have had rotator cuff surgery. If so, physical therapy is a very critical part of the recovery process once your surgeon clears you to begin therapy. Be sure to follow the therapist's instructions even though the therapy will be brutal. I have had rotator cuff surgery twice (not fun either time).

If you think it will help, I can write you a prescription for a large lathe as necessary DME for your recovery.

Welcome aboard, Chris. Sounds like you might have had rotator cuff surgery. If so, physical therapy is a very critical part of the recovery process once your surgeon clears you to begin therapy. Be sure to follow the therapist's instructions even though the therapy will be brutal. I have had rotator cuff surgery twice (not fun either time).

If you think it will help, I can write you a prescription for a large lathe as necessary DME for your recovery.
Winner winner, chicken dinner! Yep, it was a rotator cuff surgery. I'm already doing PT. I'm 2 weeks post-op today. Doing pretty well. Pain going down and mobility going up every day. :D

Keep an eye out...I'll be needing that prescription as soon as I can be ready. :D

Back