• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cordless chainsaws

What's your favorite cordless chainsaw? I want to get one for keeping in the truck....you know, just in case I see a walnut tree that fell over.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I got a Wen 18 inch on amazon, it works great, and got a second battery, lets me process a 4 foot 16 inch log into slabs (for future spindle turning blanks) or a 23 inch diameter ash log into bowl blanks without having to stop and wait for recharging.. I don't even have a gas chainsaw as a matter of fact. (I plan to get a 20 inch one of these days, probably a china brand on amazon - I could buy 3 or 4 of those for the price of one Stihl... )

I have an EGO, would not recommend. It feels plasticky, stops constantly if I cut anything over 4 inches, runs out of juice quickly. Bad investment for me but I'll use it till it dies which I don't think longevity is in its future. My neighbor picked up a Milwaukee, it's much nicer/longer lasting than mine. I have some Stihls, I just carry the small one in the truck, gas/oil in the back, but that truck never goes near town so I don't worry about it going missing.

I got a Wen 18 inch on amazon, it works great, and got a second battery, lets me process a 4 foot 16 inch log into slabs (for future spindle turning blanks) or a 23 inch diameter ash log into bowl blanks without having to stop and wait for recharging.. I don't even have a gas chainsaw as a matter of fact. (I plan to get a 20 inch one of these days, probably a china brand on amazon - I could buy 3 or 4 of those for the price of one Stihl... )
Farmertec is a chinese brand that is made exactly like a stihl, only problem, the plastics are not as strong as stihl plastics, and some of the metal parts are not manufactured to the strict standards of stihl. Some people have dealt with some of the minor problems this causes and are happy because those saws can be bought for about 1/5 of the price of a stihl. Then some people buy them and when problems come up they buy the Stihl parts to replace the weak parts, they bolt right on. I think Farmertec makes a clone for just about every size Stihl makes.

I ordered the new echo 56v, as it has good reviews and I get a military discount. I'll try it out in a week or so on some white oak logs. That should be a good test!

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
I have an EGO, would not recommend. It feels plasticky, stops constantly if I cut anything over 4 inches, runs out of juice quickly. Bad investment for me but I'll use it till it dies which I don't think longevity is in its future. My neighbor picked up a Milwaukee, it's much nicer/longer lasting than mine. I have some Stihls, I just carry the small one in the truck, gas/oil in the back, but that truck never goes near town so I don't worry about it going missing.
Hi John Walls,

Which EGO do you have. My neighbor bought an early model and hated it. The newer ones have better reviews. Looking forward to John Hicks report back on its quality. In general, I've very much liked the EGO products.

John, if that Echo is anything like the gas powered Echo, it will be a hoss. I have a Stihl MS660 and an Echo CS590, to me the quality is the same. My son kept talking up Echo tools and I bought their backpack blower, that convinced me to buy the 590 for smaller jobs and trimming blanks.
I'm guessing the electric saw is made by the same Echo...
All of my wood is harvested green so I have to get in and get out, folks that have trees down want them gone quickly. The picture is of my trailer load of Pecan that I cut up and loaded in three hours yesterday, I used to be able to do it faster but I'm 70 so things a slow and easy now. I know they make big electric saw, I watched a video of a third world turner using an electric corded saw as big as my Stihl, of course I would have to take a generator with me so would still be running gas..
IMG_1411.jpg
Sorry, I was writing this as you guys were posting..

John, if that Echo is anything like the gas powered Echo, it will be a hoss. I have a Stihl MS660 and an Echo CS590, to me the quality is the same. My son kept talking up Echo tools and I bought their backpack blower, that convinced me to buy the 590 for smaller jobs and trimming blanks.
I'm guessing the electric saw is made by the same Echo...
All of my wood is harvested green so I have to get in and get out, folks that have trees down want them gone quickly. The picture is of my trailer load of Pecan that I cut up and loaded in three hours yesterday, I used to be able to do it faster but I'm 70 so things a slow and easy now. I know they make big electric saw, I watched a video of a third world turner using an electric corded saw as big as my Stihl, of course I would have to take a generator with me so would still be running gas..
View attachment 43046
Sorry, I was writing this as you guys were posting..
I'm 59 and couldn't load all that!

I was going to suggest the Project Farm video as well, he is pretty good and is not sponsored by any one.

I could load that trailer, but it might take me all day. I do prefer to keep log sections as long as possible. I get less checking and wood loss that way. I am lucky to have a source that drops off logs in my drive way.

robo hippy

Not as hard as it looks, have a ramp built on the back of my trailer and a dolly with big air tires that can carry more than I can, just technique...besides, if I didn't do this kind of thing, I would get fat...(that's actually fatter)
I did watch one of the videos and it was very good, not sure why they did not show an Echo. I've watched several gas saw comparisons and the Echo is usually included and ranks pretty good.
Yes, I have to go into a roughing frenzy for awhile, I have roughed in 12 bowls in a day and I know that would be a breeze for daily experienced turners plus some. But I don't turn every day.

Last edited:
I have a Makita which I picked because I already have other tools that use the same (2) 18 volt battery.
My brother saw mine so he went and bought a Stilhl 40 volt but didn't like it so he bought a Makita.
Like Donna said the gas saws hardly ever get used, it's so nice to pick it up , pull the Triger and cut.

+1 for the Makita and -1 for the EGO. I tried the EGO about 9 months ago and returned it the next day. I can't say the Makita is the overall best but I own other tools with the same battery, plus its working fine for me.

Agreed. Not happy at all with mine. The trimmer and blower, on the other hand, are great!

I have the Echo, great little saw. The battery last longer than a tank of gas in my 16” Stilh. About a one hour charge time. Santa was good this year.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Purchased a GreenWorks Pro 80V 18" a while back and it works great. It went on a short term very good sale price on Amazon so I couldn't resist. Haven't fired up my gas one since I bought the battery one.

Project Farm has a couple of good videos about cordless chainsaws.
Good videos. I notice that the reviewer comment on many of the felling spikes being made of plastic but then doesn't evaluate the spikes' performance.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with plastic felling spikes?

Another vote for Makita, but I am also on the platform already. I read unflattering reviews of the one that has the tool-less tension adjustment saying it didn't stay put. That could be newbie users not understanding that new chains do stretch and need an adjustment or two regardless of the tensioning mechanism, however. That, and I think the motor was better, IIRC, led me to get the top of the line one. It kicks serious butt, batteries have about a 25 minute run-time (constant use), and has generous torque.

Makita tools are every bit deserving of their reputation, and if you have not chosen a platform, I cannot recommend them enough. They are a bargain even at their slightly frothy price point, and you can often find combo packages where you get a battery or two for nearly free. Buy those first, you'll need at least six batteries to get a 36-volt tool running continuously (they discharge in ~25 minutes, take ~50 minutes to recharge); eight to ten is better.

I have the M18 Milwaukee chainsaw.

I haven't really used it yet, but I have a couple friends who also have one and like it. I was already bought into the battery system, so I figured on getting the chainsaw too.

Purchased a GreenWorks Pro 80V 18" a while back and it works great. It went on a short term very good sale price on Amazon so I couldn't resist. Haven't fired up my gas one since I bought the battery one.
I got the same one because I wanted the old school chain adjustment mechanism and full kerf chain. Greenworks doesn't encourage it but you can use your old gas bars and chains. Mine works great.

I have gas Stihls but also have a corded electric Dolmar which is same as Makita. Dolmar makes Makita's . I use it mainly inside the shop but it works great.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have gas Stihls but also have a corded electric Dolmar which is same as Makita. Dolmar makes Makita's . I use it mainly inside the shop but it works great.
Actually, Makita makes former Dolmar - Makita bought out Dolmar for their Outdoor Power Products line, and back in I think it was 2019 or so, they rebranded everything that used to be Dolmar, to Makita. (I was a Dolmar dealer for a year and a half before Makita bought them, so got grandfathered in to Makita dealer, before I closed up shop)

Randy, do you still like your Greenworks saw? I’m considering one. I’ve got a Greenworks mower and the idea of having their batteries in reserve is appealing. Is this the saw? EE33BC22-A25E-4B68-8E7C-3B534B812CD5.jpg I have a Husqvarna 440 Rancher gas saw (which I love) but the appeal of having a saw I can keep in the car is very enticing. I’d double check with them before buying that it uses the same batteries that I’ve got on my three or four year old mower.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Yep, that's it and still really like it. Electric has worked great for my needs to cut up a few blanks, split a few or take down a med tree. No issues so far and still haven't fired up my gas one since I purchased. I'm on the opposite side of the decision. My old battery edger is showing signs of serious wear and might need to get an edger to replace it soon. Leveraging common battery platforms across a variety of tools is very handy. It was on sale for $209 back when I bought it.

Since I last posted I purchased a Ryobi 40v cordless with a 18" bar as a friend has one. I have been really impressed with how well it cuts and the battery life. It's perfect for having in the truck.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Since I last posted I purchased a Ryobi 40v cordless with a 18" bar as a friend has one. I have been really impressed with how well it cuts and the battery life. It's perfect for having in the truck.
With the second Truck message, I have to ask - is there a constant problem with oil dripping? I assume to be ready for use it needs to have chain oil. And that's hard enough to keep clean in the garage.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
For me a big part of the decision process is the battery platform. I currently have a very old but broad set of B&D power tools, blowers, lights, saws, drills, edgers, attachments, etc that run off their 20V lithium battery. With a shelf of batteries and a quick charger it's very convenient to use them all on the same batteries. They're getting old and worn so thinking of what to move and how. If they would standardize on a battery setup then the options would really open up but, not likely that's going to happen. Batteries are often as much if not more than the tool so that's where the money is.

I bought the Dewalt 20v since I already had many other tools for the batteries. It cuts well, though seems a bit under powered. And it drips oil regularly so needs to be stored on its side.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Taxman, that was one of the concerns I had when I was shopping. Dripping oil was one of the common neg reviews I saw. So far the Greenworks doesn't drip at all and the chain oiler works well while using. My other much smaller electric or battery chainsaws do drip and often the oiler doesn't work.

Thanks for the feedback! It looks like my mower is the 40v system. They make a 40v saw, but I imagine the 80v is significantly more substantial, so if I get this one, I’ll want a reserve battery, another $100 + . Still not too bad I suppose for a good saw.

I bought the Echo 56v and two batteries. Works ok, but it will not cut straight (I do know how to sharpen chains) the chain comes off the bar on the bottom and goes to the right if any pressure is put on it. Most definitly would have went with the new dewalt if I had the choice now. Cheaply made too. It does not replace my echo CS-620 by any means. Maybe being old, I am used to well made things?

I went with the Makita because I already had other Makita tools. The saws and several other tools use 2 - 18 volt battery's and many come with a dual charger and some come with 4 - 5 amp hour battery's. When I purchased my 16" rear handle saw it came with 2 - 5 amp hour battery's and the dual charger or tool only, but two battery's would cost more then the difference, therefore I now have 3 dual chargers. I recently cut down an 18" diameter birch using only the Makita saw and it did the job without too much problem and I didn't have to mess with oil mix gas.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks for the feedback! It looks like my mower is the 40v system. They make a 40v saw, but I imagine the 80v is significantly more substantial, so if I get this one, I’ll want a reserve battery, another $100 + . Still not too bad I suppose for a good saw.

So what is the advantage to the higher voltage? More Power? Longer use between recharges?

-----odie-----

So what is the advantage to the higher voltage? More Power? Longer use between recharges?
I’m actually reacting to the saw itself which looks like a more substantial piece of equipment than the 40volt unit. I may be wrong. After looking at looking at the videos in post #6 above, I’m reconsidering the DeWalt saw, although that reviewer didn’t look at the GreenWorks saw. Anyone with the DeWalt have experience to share? The cost of spare batteries is a significant consideration.
PS- it seems that AmpHours is a more reliable indicator of run time than voltage.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I jumped on the bandwagon a couple weeks ago, and purchased the Walmart brand Hart 16" 40v chainsaw. My main reasoning, is I already have yard tools that use this battery. I seldom have a use for a chainsaw, but they sure do come in handy when you need them.

I would imagine this saw is made by the same manufacturer as a few other saws....

-----odie-----

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-40-...aw-Kit-1-4-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery/160678555

Last edited:

-----odie-----
A couple of things. I have a Still MS 290 which cuts large stuff (if I can lift it anymore), and a small
stihl 120 battery powered (have spare battery) which is great for trimming smaller (less than 4" diameter) and in shop use. However, I wanted something like a "in the back of the truck" yet not real heavy and the Echo DCS 5000 has really fit the bill. 18" bar and a 56V 5aH battery runs for 30 or more minutes.
Second thing. With that battery it's not a lightweight saw. But I like a bit of heft to help get through the log or whatever. Higher Voltage??? The higher voltage means more power and the higher amps means long run time to put it simply. It's like with Radio Controlled cars and airplanes. Bigger toys require bigger batteries (volts) but you want more amp hours to increase the run time between charges.
Last thing is oil leaks. Seems all my saws leak some when sitting. I fold a shop towel and rest the saw on it to minimize any mess which usually occurs early on and then stops.

Back