• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Craft Show Tent Stability

I've been doing outdoor craft shows with a pop-up tent. The problem I'm having is when it's windy, the side walls flap in and out, sometimes knocking over some of my vases. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to stabilize the side walls to diminish/stop the flapping. Thanks.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I used to use ropes in an "X" pattern going from the top of the leg joints to the bottom of the legs. This will eliminate the amount the curtains can move. Also, if you can lock the ropes together (like a center ring) it will eliminate any racking of your booth as well. This can all be done with turnbuckles, rings & snap connector hardware. Definitely a PITA and takes extra time during setup and breakdown ... but it works.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I rarely, if ever, do shows when winds are more than 12 -14 MPH (according to weather forecasts) I use an open sided pop-up (no sides) since it is light and most shows I go to are one-day things, so I only go set up in the A.M. and take down when show's over , the very few shows I went to that I had to set up overnight, I just set up the canopy at its lowest level (which just clears the tables) and tie it down (those screw-in dog leash tie-outs combined with ratchet straps - which obviously won't do if we had to set up on concrete or blacktop) - A friend made his own sash weight hold-downs by filling 3 inch x 16 inch PVC tubes with concrete and an eye-bolt embedded, then just ties a rope with a S-Hook to the eye bolt and velcro straps to tie weights to the canopy legs...

We like having open sides all around as it gives more "booth space" and visibility so folks can come and gather on 3 sides (while we sit at the back) to look at stuff instead of having to wait their turn to go in the one front side. The only place where we set up a night before show opened we wrapped and tied down tarps around the sides for overnight weather protection and removed them the following morning. (Besides which in summer time, open sides means more air flow, so it never got too hot in our canopy space.. though tarp came in handy with "make-do" poles tied to the jeep's open hatch to create a shaded area when the sun started hitting us full blast at one show (P.A. Lumber Museum's Barkpeeler Festival)

Back