• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

crowned CBN wheels (for other tools)

I'm not sure if this would be of interest for turning tools since it is marketed more toward hand chisels and plane irons, but for the CBN wheel lovers in the room, Tools For Working Wood sells a few sizes of very slightly crowned CBN wheels. The link tells the story and purpose. I checked the forum archive, no mention of them, so I thought I'd post them for anyone that may feel the need. No experience with them myself, found it while looking for something else.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-CBN.XX

Well, I am getting back into flat work, and use my CBN wheels for putting a primary bevel on old plane irons, and for doing that to my good blades as well. Not sure what those wheels are intended for. I do prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I did have some 'matrix' style CBN wheels before the nickel/electro plated wheels came out, 15 or 20 years ago, can't remember... The problem I had with them is that they did not wear evenly and would develop run out and I would have to take them back to the maker and have them trued up again. Fortunately the maker was in town. I can see a possible use for ones specifically for the flutes of my gouges, but I would need ones for each different flute shape, and I have a number of variations, so not practical, unless I wanted 20 or so grinders for my shop.... I don't think those wheels offer any advantages over the D Way, Woodturner's Wonders, or any of the other clones.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have the wheel trying jig from Don Geiger that crowns a regular wheel. It us fantastic for sharpening plane irons, hand chisels and skews. Reduces burning of the thin edges. If I had a spare grinder I'd get that cbn wheel in a heartbeat.

Back