• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Curly maple goblet

I have been asked to make a chalice/goblet. It will be 8" tall with a stem of about 4". I'm thinking about making it out of curly maple, but I'm concerned that the nature of curly maple would cause the stem to be weak. I'm thinking the stem, at its thinnest point, would be roughly 1/2" - 5/8".
I'm looking for advice.
Thanks
Jeff Scott

Website
www.ovwg.org
Hi Jeff. I think you may want to move this to the main discussion forum. It is not really a tech support question. As for the goblet, I think if it is 1/2" or 5/8" it would be fine. That is still relatively thick, but I would support it with you hand as you turn it thinner, so the bottom doesn't whip the stem and break it while is is turning. Definitely use hard maple, it does make a difference when it comes to strength and cleanliness of cut....

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm thinking the stem, at its thinnest point, would be roughly 1/2" - 5/8".

It will be hard to intentionally break a 1/2” spindle of curly maple turned in line with the grain unless it has a defect in the wood.

One important design for any stemmed vessel it to keep the pith out of the stem- stems with the pith are very weak.

Back