• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

deep hollowing tool selection

Ira

I am in search of a deep hollowing tool or system and would like to get some input. I already have the Sorby multi tip tool and now would like to go beyond it's depth limits. First off I am aware of the Lyle Jamieson system but I am afraid it may be somewhat limiting because of the secondary rest that holds the end of the looped boring bar; how about some input on that? Does anyone have experience with the Kelton hollowing rig or the Reeks system; they are other capture type hollowing systems. I like what I have read about the Hamlet Little/Big Brother tools using a ring cutter, though there are also tools from Woodcut and Robert Sorby that use boring bar cutters. Can anyone give me pros and cons or an opinion with regard to ring type cutters like those offered by Hamlet as opposed to the others offering cutter/scraper type tools? I guess ideally I should find someone in my area that already has a system that I may demo, anyone in the southern NH, northern MA area that might be able to help? Thanks again for all the input.

Ira

Website
www.woodturner.org
On the Jamieson style hollower - I have not found the secondary rest limiting at all. It provides very nice stability. I built my own...being the cheapskate that I am. You can move the secondary rest around to meet just about any angle you need. Mine is setup to have one end of that rest above the near side of the ways and the other end of the rest is 3 feet away. So there's quite an angle there.

I also use a bowl gouge for shallow hollowing, and also an arm grip hollower from Best Wood tools. These tools are zero setup time and mostly for smaller hollowing.

Your best bet is to go to a demo or find a local club where someone will show you what they are using.

I have and use the Kelton rig. I like it, but I have used a Jamieson style hollowing rig built by Lowell Converse and found it to be much smoother and comfortable to use than the Kelton IMO.

Tony

Website
sawsndust.com
I agree with Jeff...no limitations with the Jamison that I've found and there will be little difference with any of the captive systems since they all need multiple support points in most respects. I don't know the other systems, but the Jamison is also friendly to various kinds of tools at the "business end"...I'm just starting to use Trent Bosch's straight and curved tools with the Jamison handle in addition to Lyle's tooling, for example.

deep hollowing tool

I want to get started in deeper hollowing also. I got the advise to get a set by John Lea. I called him and he took the measurments for my lathe and is custom making a complete system including the laser guide. I havent received the thing yet and I admit I chose it because of the price. It looks good and it costs about half what the Jamieson or Kelton systems do. Most of the guys here have made most of thier stuff but I have no metal working tools except a file and I would rather turn than try to make tools.

Ron

Do you have the link for John Lea? What was the cost...can you say on a public forum?

Thanks

Website
sawsndust.com
Anthony said:
What, no one likes the "feel" and control of a Stewart tool?
The Stewart (and similar) systems are pretty good and actually a good bet for folks learning to hollow. IMHO, nobody should go right to a captive system without first learning and understanding the "manual" process and stresses inherent with this form of turning. But the captive systems "save" many of us who have problems with physical body stress of hollowing so we can concentrate on the "art" without worrying about not being able to use our hands and arms the next day.

I tend to agree with Jim, that knowing the dynamics, stresses and pitfalls of hollowing is important. Like most things I've done, I've learned about hollowing backward. I started out with Lyle Jamieson's system and got one-on-one training with him. The title of his video kind of sums it all up "Hollow Forms the Easy Way" Recently I've been doing some free hand hollowing - ornaments and such - and have a better appreciation for just what a captured bar is doing for me, especially on a large diameter, deep vessel.

Whit

Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
Clark Deep Hollowing System

Ira,

You might want to consider the "Clark Deep Hollowing System" and "Clark Steady Rest". You can see photos and a descripton at www.theokspindoctor.com

It is a very heavy duty system with a 1.25 inch diameter 48 inch long hollowing bar. One can also use shorter bars depending on the the project. It comes with a laser thickness device and has some other unique features. There is also a very heavy duty companion steady rest - a necessary accessory for deep hollowing. The laser system adjusts to avoid hitting the 12 o'clock arm of the steady, also a unique feature and the laser is mounted in such a way that it can be used with the deepest vessels.

The overall design is quite unlike anything else on the market. It allows very deep hollowing while providing all the advantages that a captured system does. It is a relatively new system, but I now have satisfied users across the country with upcoming review articles touting its facility. Please check it out and let me know if you have any questions or comments. I appreciate your discussion thread and wish you luck in your quest for new tools...

Ira

Spin Doctor at symposium?

Hi Keith,
The Spin Doctor looks like a pretty slick system. Judging by the pictures it appears that this system allows vertical as well as horizontal movement of the cutter. Do you know if it will be at the Totally Turning Symposium this month in NY? Also how can I get contact info for the people in the Boston area you mentioned that own the system? Thanks again. Now I have to go fight with my Sorby Hollowmaster, I'm learning to hate this thing.

Ira

Website
www.Leetreewoodworks.com
Deep Hollowing System

Ira,

I'm glad Keith jumped in. I was in your shoes about a year ago, and I did the same research as you are now doing. I worked with Keith, and selected his system as my deep hollowing tool. Not only does it do everything that Keith mentioned, but is also holds all of the hollowing tips I have found available on the market (though my preference here is the Jordon tips). I also purchased his steady rest system. All of Keiths tools are built rock solid.

I don't live in your area (I'm in FL), but certainly would be happy to show you mine if you want to get away on vacation this winter.

Just my two cents......

- lee -

the wood junky

I am using the deep hollowing system by Keith Clark "the ok spin doctor "
If you don't check this unit out you won't know what you are missing.
I have a Kelton Jig that sits in the corner know. The 1 1/4 inch boring bar has allowed me to turn hollow forms up to 18 inches deep without tool chatter. I haven't tried anything deeper yet. The collar that holds the bar allows for smooth in and out action without any stress on your hands or arms. The laser pointer has allowed me to turn thinner than I ever dreamed of, down to 1/8 inch . Keith is very accommodating, he has been able to
customize this unit with help of many good turners. I also have his center support jig that is great. The quality of the unit and the cost
don't add up. Great unit at an affordable price.

Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
Clark Hollowing System

Ira said:
Hi Keith,
The Spin Doctor looks like a pretty slick system. Judging by the pictures it appears that this system allows vertical as well as horizontal movement of the cutter. Do you know if it will be at the Totally Turning Symposium this month in NY? Also how can I get contact info for the people in the Boston area you mentioned that own the system? Thanks again. Now I have to go fight with my Sorby Hollowmaster, I'm learning to hate this thing.

Ira
Thanks for looking over the system. I am sorry that my system will not be on display in NY this month. I do plan on being at the Florida symposium in January running my system with a Powermatic lathe. There is another post from one user who can answer questions for you. One option in the near future is to view the new videos of the tool in action. These will be ready hopefully within the next month. Actually you can just get a system and if you don't like it, send it back!

Deep hollowing

I have just received a Clark deep hollowing system and I consider it the best system I have ever used , It will acept all of my cutting tools, Jordan, Pencil, Kelton and Munro plus a few more I don not have. The fit and finish of this system are very high end.
For the turner looking for a professional captured tool system this is one to look at.
Tom Obourn
From the north coast of PA

eliot

I have experience with the Kelton system. It's solidly made, but I'm afraid that I did not find it satisfactory because it bound up during use. The Kelton tech-rep clearly knew about the problem and suggested several fixes, such as purchasing special slippery-type tape used for sliding drawers to tape onto the sliding bars. I tried it, and it helped , but I didn't see why I should have to fool around with fixes. I suggested to Kelton that I would more or less act as beta site for them and try out different fixes if they would refund all or some of my money. But they prefered that I simply send back the rig for a full refund, which I did. They were good about it.

The system I now have, which I consider to be far superior, is the Keith Clark (Spin Doctor) Deep Hollowing System. It works like a charm, is beautiful to look at, extremely solid in build ,and will deal well with a deep hollow vessel. It's probably a bit over-engineered if you just want to hollow out fairly small vessels and bowls. But I don't think you can go wrong with it. If you want to work with really deep stuff, you probably should spring for his massive steady rest. What's more, Dr.Clark (yes,he really is a physician) is unbelievably accomodating. I had several minor issues ( mostly about setting the laser)that he immediately took care of without charge. (I think he incorporated these small adjustments permanently into his design). I've never experienced that kind of attention before.

thanks for the info

I too was looking for a deep hollowing system and finally decided on John Lea's, thanks to this thread. Should be receiving it in a week. the spin doctor's looked really nice & precise but couldn't spend that kind of money.

Back