• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Demonstrating the art of Woodturning at the 108th annual Pennsylvania Farm Show this week!

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
For the (something) year, our club has once again been invited to demonstrate the art and craft of woodturning at the Pennsylvania Farm Show - an annual event showcasing agriculture in the Commonwealth of PA. We are with the Woodmobile, which is with the PA Hardwood council. Set up right on the corner by the main aisleway in the main hall, right of the main entrance (and just down from the butter sculpture - that's right, a sculpture made from PA produced butter). We always attract quite a few people to watch. Because we are in an open space, we do not do any sanding, nor will we use any finishes that have vapors that might be objectionable. Most turnings are small things. Snowmen, trees, tops (which are popular with the kids). Our local Woodcraft store (which is where we meet) donates the turning stock. The show is open 8a -9p, we demo from 9a to 8p. we schedule 2 shifts, with 2 turners per shift. It is up to the turners on a shift how they want to divide their time - switching off between working the crowd and turning, or one turns the whole time and the other works the crowd the whole time.

The only real issue - getting the time slots filled. We often have an open slot where there is a single turner, and nobody else. We do have signs we hang when nobody is turning, which happens even with 2 turners. It does bug me a bit that we seem to have issues with getting more of our membership involved. If anyone has any suggestions on that front, I would appreciate hearing them. While there is a charge for parking for visitors to the event, the volunteers and vendors get parking passes and have some lots right at the building (there are other lots for visitors once the main lot is full, they provide shuttle service). Admission is free. Food is on you, but that is not at all hard to find - lots of foods are grown in PA. My pit beef sammich today was wonderful (they have a food court preview the Friday afternoon before the show opens).

I set up some of the cameras and our ATEM switcher that we use for meetings. We have a TV on top of the display case that shows whatever I have on the ATEM - usually just a shot of the lathe. What I would like to do this year is maybe try a couple of off-the-cuff livestreams on YouTube. The club does have a channel. If I remember to, I will post something when we are going to do one - I have absolutely no schedule planned, though - so it will be random-ish.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Cool. If by some chance you happen to be walking around and see a vendor by name of Alpaca Creations, Be sure and stop by and say hello to my friends Teresa & John Genaux- I believe they will be a vendor there as well.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'd be much of a demonstrator- can't really interact with an audience or answer questions (I'd not hear them anyhow) but if I'd had enough advance notice and planning time (And could afford hotel rooms - which just are not in my budget!) I'd probably have volunteered myself..

Being on the fixed income I am, a lot of stuff I'd love to do (including being a vendor at farm show) are simply out of the question financially and physically (Could not handle the hours needed to man a booth solo.)

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Cool. If by some chance you happen to be walking around and see a vendor by name of Alpaca Creations, Be sure and stop by and say hello to my friends Teresa & John Genaux- I believe they will be a vendor there as well.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'd be much of a demonstrator- can't really interact with an audience or answer questions (I'd not hear them anyhow) but if I'd had enough advance notice and planning time (And could afford hotel rooms - which just are not in my budget!) I'd probably have volunteered myself..

Being on the fixed income I am, a lot of stuff I'd love to do (including being a vendor at farm show) are simply out of the question financially and physically (Could not handle the hours needed to man a booth solo.)
I think I know exactly where they are located. If it is the ones I am thinking of, I walk past there on my way from the main hall (where we are) to the food court (about as far from the main hall as you can get at the other end of the complex!) I'll try to remember to stop. I know my youngest will be with me on Monday, and likes their yarn. Pretty good chance we will stop.

I will be there every day except tomorrow. The farm show starts tomorrow and runs through next Saturday. We were there today to set up (and partake of the food court preview, of course :D ) and will be there next Sunday to tear down and pack out.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Sounds like fun! If you guys are ever out closer to Bucks county I might be interested.
Aw, c'mon! It's only about 2 hours for you! (and I would probably come in 78 instead of the turnpike. 78 right into 81S to the Rte 230/Cameron St. Exit, which comes out right at the Farm Show building. Parking on Elmerton Avenue :D

My turning club, Baltimore Area Turners, will similarly be demonstrating at the Woodworking Show at the state fairgrounds in Timonium, Maryland this weekend. This is a commercial event, but the demonstrators and “greeters” from the club get free admission (though no pit beef sandwich!). I’ll be demonstrating tomorrow for three hours on one of two lathes set up in our booth. I am bringing a bunch of blanks to make tops and tiny bowls. Also several small (5-8”) once turned blanks that are ready for second turning, and a few 2”x2”x 8” pieces of wet peach wood that I may turn into goblets depending on how the time goes. Looking forward to it as I’ve never turned “publicly” before.

Website
www.ovwg.org
For the (something) year, our club has once again been invited to demonstrate the art and craft of woodturning at the Pennsylvania Farm Show - an annual event showcasing agriculture in the Commonwealth of PA. We are with the Woodmobile, which is with the PA Hardwood council. Set up right on the corner by the main aisleway in the main hall, right of the main entrance (and just down from the butter sculpture - that's right, a sculpture made from PA produced butter). We always attract quite a few people to watch. Because we are in an open space, we do not do any sanding, nor will we use any finishes that have vapors that might be objectionable. Most turnings are small things. Snowmen, trees, tops (which are popular with the kids). Our local Woodcraft store (which is where we meet) donates the turning stock. The show is open 8a -9p, we demo from 9a to 8p. we schedule 2 shifts, with 2 turners per shift. It is up to the turners on a shift how they want to divide their time - switching off between working the crowd and turning, or one turns the whole time and the other works the crowd the whole time.

The only real issue - getting the time slots filled. We often have an open slot where there is a single turner, and nobody else. We do have signs we hang when nobody is turning, which happens even with 2 turners. It does bug me a bit that we seem to have issues with getting more of our membership involved. If anyone has any suggestions on that front, I would appreciate hearing them. While there is a charge for parking for visitors to the event, the volunteers and vendors get parking passes and have some lots right at the building (there are other lots for visitors once the main lot is full, they provide shuttle service). Admission is free. Food is on you, but that is not at all hard to find - lots of foods are grown in PA. My pit beef sammich today was wonderful (they have a food court preview the Friday afternoon before the show opens).

I set up some of the cameras and our ATEM switcher that we use for meetings. We have a TV on top of the display case that shows whatever I have on the ATEM - usually just a shot of the lathe. What I would like to do this year is maybe try a couple of off-the-cuff livestreams on YouTube. The club does have a channel. If I remember to, I will post something when we are going to do one - I have absolutely no schedule planned, though - so it will be random-ish.
I hear you will get a lot of snow! Have fun!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
we demo from 9a to 8p. we schedule 2 shifts, with 2 turners per shift.
The only real issue - getting the time slots filled. We often have an open slot where there is a single turner, and nobody else. We do have signs we hang when nobody is turning, which happens even with 2 turners. It does bug me a bit that we seem to have issues with getting more of our membership involved. If anyone has any suggestions on that front, I would appreciate hearing them.
Tim, I have no successful experience getting people to volunteer.
The only experience I do have is that asking your members (surveys etc) why they don't participate probably won't net much in the way of useful results. <sigh>

But some thoughts...
  • Public speaking is a top survey result on lists of greatest fears.
  • "Working the crowd" might sound terrifying to some.
  • I assume public "performance" like turning would also fall in that category.
  • 5+ hours split between 2 people seems like a lot to ask. Maybe shorter shifts and/or a larger team per shift? Less time-commitment and/or more "anonymity buffer" in a larger team.
  • Most hobbyist/casual turners I know would be apprehensive about being "on stage" with a gouge in hand. And would have no idea what to do (stage fright/freeze). Maybe hold some workshops ahead of time to practice a couple specific projects (tops, trees, mushrooms, weed pots, etc). Build confidence and remove some of the uncertainty.
Good luck with it!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The only real issue - getting the time slots filled. We often have an open slot where there is a single turner, and nobody else. We do have signs we hang when nobody is turning, which happens even with 2 turners. It does bug me a bit that we seem to have issues with getting more of our membership involved.

I also have found that woodturners rarely volunteer.
I have found that woodturners rarely say “no” when asked to do something.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
The only experience I do have is that asking your members (surveys etc) why they don't participate probably won't net much in the way of useful results. <sigh>

But some thoughts...
  • Public speaking is a top survey result on lists of greatest fears.
  • "Working the crowd" might sound terrifying to some.
  • I assume public "performance" like turning would also fall in that category.
  • 5+ hours split between 2 people seems like a lot to ask. Maybe shorter shifts and/or a larger team per shift? Less time-commitment and/or more "anonymity buffer" in a larger team.
  • Most hobbyist/casual turners I know would be apprehensive about being "on stage" with a gouge in hand. And would have no idea what to do (stage fright/freeze). Maybe hold some workshops ahead of time to practice a couple specific projects (tops, trees, mushrooms, weed pots, etc). Build confidence and remove some of the uncertainty.
Good luck with it!
Thanks. Looks like some good suggestions. After the show is over, I want to schedule an officers meeting. There are some good ideas here to bounce around.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I also have found that woodturners rarely volunteer.
I have found that woodturners rarely say “no” when asked to do something.
This is true. Most have to be given that 'push' to get started. We do not have to be working constantly, we do take breaks now and then. Some of Dave Landers' ideas sound good, maybe shortening times might help (or might leave more empty slots :D)

If I had a months or two notice maybe I could have taken time off of work for it. Maybe next year reach out to other nearby turning groups. You will probably still not get too many takers but if there is one or two from each other group you contact, maybe that would be enough.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
If I had a months or two notice maybe I could have taken time off of work for it. Maybe next year reach out to other nearby turning groups. You will probably still not get too many takers but if there is one or two from each other group you contact, maybe that would be enough.
We did extend the invite to a neighboring club, however next year (assuming we are back, and I don't see why we wouldn't be) I want to extend that to neighboring clubs earlier. I am thinking giving our members a week to claim a slot, then open it to at least 2, maybe three or four other clubs that are reasonably close as to not require overnight travel. There are 14 AAW chapters listed in PA. 4 in Central/South Central PA.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
The top picture I shared is the (locked) display cabinet with turnings our members have done. The second is our demo area setup (the monitor is on the top of the cabinet). There are 3 video cameras this year, which I can switch on the monitor. The main reason for 3 is for our regular club meeting tonight - I will be running it from the Farm Show, and want to be able to show some of what we have been doing.

I successfully did a (private for testing) live stream on YouTube yesterday. No audio, video only. https://youtube.com/live/fAwAWFkEE6s if anyone wants to look.

i am a member of the club in york. i would have been happy to participate. next year reach out to the area clubs a month or two in advance.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
i am a member of the club in york. i would have been happy to participate. next year reach out to the area clubs a month or two in advance.
If we are doing the same next year, my intention is to give our club a week or so 'head start' then open it to a handful of other area clubs (yours included). This year, it was extended to Lancaster, should have been York as well. That's what I get for delegating :D

As far as advance notice....that gets tricky. There are multiple layers that have to be addressed withing the Agriculture department (we are over-all their guest). The departments needs to get their space allocation, which they then hand out to their departments (such as the one with the Woodmobile, which is who invites us), after which we get notified if there will be space available. This year, there was some mix-up due to a new billing system for space - the department does not pay for their space, but the organizers said they were supposed to, based on the billing system, before they could confirm space availability. This left us will approximately 3 weeks before we had to have our list back to the department sponsoring us so they could print name tags and get parking passes sent out (exhibitors and vendors get free parking, the pass-only lots are first come, first serve, though). All of this is to say - I can't control when we know if we are going to be able to demonstrate or not.

I am thinking of ways we can still get ahead of things, though. I am planning to have an officers meeting in the next few weeks, this will be a topic - to cover my thoughts and gather the thoughts of the rest of the club officers. I prefer to have their input when possible for decisions and planning like this.

Back