• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Diabolo

My granddaughter wants me to turn some diabols for her friends in Karate class. Any suggestion? Type of wood, what to use for the axels, size, weight?
Thank you in advance for any info.:)

Diabolo

I was looking to see if anyone had experience. I waswondering if you could turn one out of a single piece of wood or do you need to make a separate axel? One site I looked at sold them with brass axels, some w/plastic, steel,etc.

So I guess I'll make some wood chips and experiment w/different types of axels.

Diabolo

Evon,
Our own webmaster, Ed Davidson, is the high priest of yo-yos, and they are normally turned all one piece. You might want to check out his website: www.yoyospin.com

Evon,

I would recommend using a metal axle on a diablo. If you make it out of wood, it will be weak and a certain breaking point when the diablo is dropped. Also, I don't think that the wood axle would allow the diablo to spin for very long on the string.

I've only used diablos made from rubber with metal axles, so I can't speak from experience with wooden diablos. However, with as much abuse as my diablos have taken over the years, I doubt that a wooden diablo would have lasted very long.

One other thing to consider is balance. It may be fairly tough to get a wooden diablo to spin true.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Matt

Thank you

Thanks everyone for your help. I turned my first diablo and gave it to her last night. Now, I got a bunch of free orders from her dojo. However, at a lunch meeting today, I asked an attorney, (Free advice), about turning diablo for other kids. He said,:"You realize it's a toy and all the legal worms come with it if someone gets hurt with one of 'your' toys!"

Jeeze, what a world we live in.

Back