• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Do you wear gloves when you turn?

Website
www.laymar-crafts.co.uk
Nuturner, as do many others here, takes the Sensible and Responsible approach of "No Gloves" when Turning, Drilling in fact anything involving Machines.

It is wise advice as Accidents can and will happen, even to you, when they do happen they come quick and unannounced.

I have only used Gloves once and nearly oh so nearly paid a very high price, the remains [Tatters] of the Left Hand Glove hangs in my Shed as a permanent reminder.

There are a lot of issues here and for anyone to even contemplate using Gloves puts themselves at risk, the whole Family could suffer as a consequence, you could lose the ability to Work, Turn and do many of the things you like to do.

Why wear a Glove? it appears because Hands get Burnt by Shavings? surely that is a small price to pay or are we just softies? or is this a Warning that you are overstepping the mark?

I have no time for anyone who follows such irresponsible action, and cannot see the folly of there ways.

Richard

Website
www.FWCWT.org
Fog Tanner: "... It has on occaasion kept my hand from the chuck jaws when I brushed them when turning very close to them. [/QUOTE said:
:eek:

... and that, my friend, is EXACTLY where your catch is going to happen!

You've been very lucky.

By your own admission your glove has accidentally rubbed against the spinning chuck. :confused:

The spinning chuck, with uneven, sharp surfaces that could very easily have grabbed that glove and pulled it in.

So... would it have twisted your hand unmercifully, or would you have simply crushed it between the chuck and the tool rest?

Good luck. I hope I am wrong.

The only time I wear a glove on my right hand only is when sanding a bit and well away from the chuck and only under so it pulls away, not into my hand. Otherwise, no, I never wear gloves when turning anything.

Gloves..duh!!!

JMMAT had it right...but, if I were your insurance agent, and you did anything as DUMB as wearing gloves in a shop for ANY reason and got tangled up, getting hurt or tearing off body parts, your coverage would be void for stupidity!!!! I do not allow gloves, unrestrained long hair, rings, watches, loose clothes in my shop. Call me an old grouch, overly cautious, or whatever, but above all, call me safe. For the rest of you, it is not if, it is when. Maybe it takes witnessing something bloody and terrible once.....HHHMMM..... :cool2: :cool2:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mr Don If I were an insurance agent I wouldn't let anyone use a bandsaw, table saw, jointer or chainsaw. There have been many accidents using those tools. Probably way more than wearing gloves. Now I'm not saying wearing gloves is the best thing to do but I don't call people dumb because they use a bandsaw, table saw etc. The workshop is an inherently dangerous place. We each have to look at the risks and make choices.
pesonally I never push a piece of wood through the table saw without a push stick. How many people can say that. My father in Law is missing 2 finger an part of a thumb. We have at least 3 members or our turning club who have table saw damage to a hand. They weren't wearing gloves.
I appreciate everyone counciling us on the dangers of wearing gloves. It doesn't have to go to name calling.

There are some fairly well-respected professional turners who wear some form of a glove when they work. Among them are Mike Darlow and David Ellsworth. Each is recognized as a very intelligent and safe practitioner. David uses gloves with the fingers cut about halfway to protect his hand. In his latest DVD (The Taming of the Skew), Mike Darlow demonstrates turning a thin spindle in chapter 10, and wears a work glove to protect the supporting hand from overheating. Most of the time, I wear a glove with cut off fingers to protect my hand from the abrasion of the fast moving wood. On the other hand, for reasons that have been stated many times in this thread, I won't even consider wearing a full glove while at the lathe. In addition, if I feel anything less than fully alert, I won't work at the lathe. As has been stated before, woodworking (including turning) is inherently dangerous. That's why I am ultra careful when working anywhere near the headstock of the lathe (I even place a multicolored covering over the chuck for a visual reminder). The best advice I can think of is to be careful, be alert. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it. As for using a glove - - there are risks. However, you are already taking a much larger one by working with wood. Make your own, informed decision.

Matt

KEW

You can add Dale Nish, Siman Levy, Nick Cook, and Chris Ramsey to the list of well known professional turners who wear gloves.

Chris Ramsey said he was starting to suffer from tendonitis until he started wearing gloves.

PS-I am not sure whether these turners wear one or both gloves or if the fingers are cut-off. I do know that they all wear gloves.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I know I am late on my chime in on this thread but in did not notice anyone mention the use of moleskin. This is a product made by Dr.scholl's for padding sore parts of your feet. It is self adhesive and I have used this in my shop to stop the hot/sharp shavings from hurting my hand. Similar to the painters tape suggestion if you cut a small strip and place it on the side of your hand that faces the on comming shavings it will help the heat and sharpness. It sticks very well and becomes like skin. There is still a slight chance of catch but A LOT less chance then gloves.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
cypher said:
I know I am late on my chime in on this thread but in did not notice anyone mention the use of moleskin. This is a product made by Dr.scholl's for padding sore parts of your feet. It is self adhesive and I have used this in my shop to stop the hot/sharp shavings from hurting my hand. Similar to the painters tape suggestion if you cut a small strip and place it on the side of your hand that faces the on comming shavings it will help the heat and sharpness. It sticks very well and becomes like skin. There is still a slight chance of catch but A LOT less chance then gloves.

Cypher....a related product that doesn't involve adhesive, is a tape like substance that carvers use. You can find it in the treelineusa.com catalog and website under the category of safety/finger guards. It is similar in feel to Kling or Curlex or similar wraps that get used in the medical world. It sticks to itself so you don't need tape to secure it. It does not stick to your skin. Again, this would give you some protection, be less subject to a catch, Still give your hands flexiblility, and not involve the painful removal of the hair on your hands, or any allergies folks might have from the adhesive on moleskin. 90 yards is about $2.50, and it is reuseable if it is not too ragged from use.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Back