• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Doing a demo?

I been asked to do a demo for our club meeting!
I ve only been turning a few years and most of our club are seasoned turners much better then me.
there are a few new novis turner that have reasonaly joined.
I have usally bring in pieces for show and tell. Some times people bring a similar piece in at the next meeting.
I have made nautical stars platers as well as figures and vases and bowls
some of my work i display here in “what’s on your lathe “
so I would love to do something different maybe making a jig to use router to inha your turnings or jig for making a perfect sphere.
any suggestion to a first time demostrator, by the way I hate talking in front of people lol!IMG_2888.jpeg

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I'm gonna bet that if you've been bringing stuff to show/tell and they asked you to demo, it's because they liked your stuff and want to see how you do some things. Especially if what you've been bringing is like the stuff in that photo!
So remember that. And remember they want you there. And you are the expert in doing things your way. And if your club is like every other I've been to - they're all nice and friendly. So there's nothing to worry about getting in front of that group.

Other tips - basically it's practice. Talk out loud while you practice. And time yourself - you should be able to get thru your demo in your own shop in about an hour (assuming a 90 min demo - it always takes longer "live").

There were other tips in a recent thread: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/demo.22019/

I'm gonna bet that if you've been bringing stuff to show/tell and they asked you to demo, it's because they liked your stuff and want to see how you do some things. Especially if what you've been bringing is like the stuff in that photo!
So remember that. And remember they want you there. And you are the expert in doing things your way. And if your club is like every other I've been to - they're all nice and friendly. So there's nothing to worry about getting in front of that group.

Other tips - basically it's practice. Talk out loud while you practice. And time yourself - you should be able to get thru your demo in your own shop in about an hour (assuming a 90 min demo - it always takes longer "live").

There were other tips in a recent thread: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/demo.22019/
i Think they like my stuff, one of the problems I have with demo some of my things there’s more setting up as in cutting and glueing up the pieces that are cut on a table saw and then fited and cut again till they fit correctly! As in the stars.So that be said how would I show that portion to the group in front of the lathe, there really no place for my table saw in the shop ( which a high school class room) I am looking for suggestions, i am not afraid to try new things that’s why I was thinking of making jig for using router or cutting a sphere!
by the way thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate it.

@Robert Lindstadt - beautiful work! I can see why they’ve asked you to demo. My recommendation would be bring a few samples of different designs that require different processes to get to the lathe phase. Discuss these each for a few minutes and then pass them around as you move on to the next. Last I would pick one and build up a few samples at different phases; pass out the pre-blank phases as you describe the process from the beginning. Then mount a glued up blank and turn to completion (again maybe having one or two interim turnings to pass around at the appropriate time.

As @Dave Landers said, practice talking through while you turn at home and recognize it will take longer live. If demo’s typically take an hour, make sure you plan for ~45min at home. Nothing worse than a great demo that goes for 2hrs when everyone was expecting an hour and starts lookyat watches, shuffling around, etc.

My two cents based on my *one* club demo, but I had a blast doing it and hope to do more :)

i Think they like my stuff, one of the problems I have with demo some of my things there’s more setting up as in cutting and glueing up the pieces that are cut on a table saw and then fited and cut again till they fit correctly! As in the stars.So that be said how would I show that portion to the group in front of the lathe, there really no place for my table saw in the shop ( which a high school class room) I am looking for suggestions, i am not afraid to try new things that’s why I was thinking of making jig for using router or cutting a sphere!
by the way thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate it.
For demos of complex projects, I recommend having examples of the project at different stages along the way. For example, if you have to fit pieces and adjust by recutting, bring several pieces, some will fit and some will not. Pick one that doesn't fit (the "before" piece) and show how it doesn't quite fit, then describe how you would go to your saw and how you would change it to something that works. Then pick out one that fits (the "After" piece), show how your piece now fits and how you would proceed from there. You won't actually be gluing things in place, so if you would take your "after" piece and glue it into the project, have a sample that shows all of the "after" pieces from that step in place, and what you would do next.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Like @Dean Center said - for complicated processes you have to do a "cooking show" demo. You put the thing in the oven and magically a cooked dish comes out!
Figure out the important things you want to communicate, and prepare the steps ahead of time so you can show what you do without taking up all the time.

I'm new to doing presentations too, My approach has been to title my presentation " An Amateur's approach to ..." It reinforces the idea that there's more than one way to do what I'm showing you. This also tells the audience that I'm not necessarily an expert, and I often get a lot more feedback both during and after the presentation. Don't get flustered when you get questions. Don't be afraid to answer honestly. "Because I like to do it this way." Or "I never thought of doing it that way." Relax and add some humor when yit fits in. Last presentation when I was sizing a jamb chuck, someone asked "Why don't you use calipers?" Without hesitation I responded, "Calipers are for sissies!" That got a big laugh.

Good Luck,
Bill from Colorado

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
As in the stars.So that be said how would I show that portion to the group in front of the lathe, there really no place for my table saw in the shop
You’ll have fun…

For your first demo do a subject you know cold.
Practice the demo at home. What works for me is time the demo at home turning at normal speed.
Then I multiply by three to get demo time. I also pick a few spots in the demo for time checks. I need 10 minutes to reverse turn the bottom of a bowl. So I have an alarm with 12 minutes to go - so wherever I am in hollowing the bowl - I have 2 minutes left to finish, make it look done, or explain to the audience we’re not done but need to move on.

If your club has a video setup you can take photos and do a slide show or PowerPoint. Some setups let you switch easily slides to live video.
Most set ups it is better to do all the slides first.
You can decide what to do live and what to show.

I use a 10 minute slide show in most of my demos and give the audience url so they have the notes at home.
I can show PowerPoint from an iPad with a hdmi cable connector. It can be done from phone.

When I do a NE Bowl from a crotch I show slides that include chainsawing the blank, finding the center, cutting on the bandsaw……
Then I go over the process of balancing the rims which I repeat in the demo.

Last edited:
Your first demo, do what you do best. Even practice it before the demo. You will have a lot more demo opportunities to get “creative”.
Yes, it is not the time to try something new. Ask whoever invited you to demo what they would like to see. If it’s one of your glue up platters, maybe bring one in pieces to show how it fits together. Have another one ready to turn. It is best not to sand in a demo. There are lots of great tips on the AAW site: https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Woodturner/DemoDirectDemonstration/DDirectDemoHomepage.aspx

Also, don’t get into the weeds chasing perfection. There is nothing worse than watching someone fumble for 10 minutes and then not finish the piece or run over on time. Get close and move on, you’ll get better with experience. Showing all of the steps is more important than showing off how good you are. They’ve all seen your finished work and know what you are capable of.

I was in the same boat. I did my first demo a couple of weeks ago. They wanted to see me demo my wiskey barrel boxes that I have been bringing to show and tell. Same problem with different stages of different things like turning, painting, flocking and burning. To get around that I made four barrels at home in different stages and one blank to turn from the start. I would recommend to do something you are comfortable with.

I did the piece in my profile photo/avatar for my first demo. I was nervous and prepped a couple extra blanks at different stages. It worked out well because my indexing system wouldn't fit on the club lathe and it eliminated the long boring parts. (and the noise of the router) I was able to start from scratch and create the basic shape ready for routing. I explained how I'd set up, decide on number of cuts, etc., then I pulled out a routed piece. I talked about cutting the sticks, the gluing process, then pulled out a routed piece with all the sticks glued in, and turned the final shape.

You have to remember, your audience is made of your friends. They understand we're all human and not every demo/procedure will go perfectly. Problems cultivate questions, solutions, and learning. You got this.

Even after years of doing demos, it takes most of a week for me to prepare. I make a list of all the stuff I need to take, and check it 3 times. Went to do a bowl coring demo once and left my McNaughton blades at home, and I was 70 miles away...... ARGH! Make an outline, and blue tape it to the headstock, and I use big print......

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
One thing I do for every demo is make a list of things to take.
Try to do Santa one better and check it thrice.

There is still an occasional awkward moment where mid demo I remember leaving something on the workbench…
Fortunately the few times it’s happened I’ve been able to confess and makeup a work around.

Also, don’t get into the weeds chasing perfection. There is nothing worse than watching someone fumble for 10 minutes and then not finish the piece or run over on time. Get close and move on, you’ll get better with experience. Showing all of the steps is more important than showing off how good you are. They’ve all seen your finished work and know what you are capable of.
I agree with Kevin--nobody likes to sand and they certainly don't like watching someone else sand. That being said, I've come to respect those turners who just can't bring themself to not have a well done project piece. That kind of commitment to getting it just right may be what makes the really good turners the really good turners. The best demostrators can turn it off when they do a demo, though.

I agree, Dean. Perfection is what separates the pros from the amateurs. But, there is plenty of room for amateurs to demonstrate for their home clubs. Always strive for perfection, but don’t let a near miss drag you down into the quicksand. Like anything, it will take time and experience. Most pros weren’t born great. And some people will find that they can never get comfortable being in front of a crowd. That’s ok too.

I agree, Dean. Perfection is what separates the pros from the amateurs. But, there is plenty of room for amateurs to demonstrate for their home clubs. Always strive for perfection, but don’t let a near miss drag you down into the quicksand. Like anything, it will take time and experience. Most pros weren’t born great. And some people will find that they can never get comfortable being in front of a crowd. That’s ok too.
I understand I am not looking for perfection either! That can be done later.
more I having a hard time deciding what to do also there many ideas now dancing in my head
I have till may!

Last edited:
Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
You already have a lot of good advice. Here's mine...

Don't do something brand new unless you have time to do it three or more times.
Do something you feel comfortable with.
Do something you've done before more than once.
Whatever you choose, practice it again while explaining out loud what you are doing and listening to yourself.
Ask a friend to be your audience.
When you practice, explain the "why" of each mistake to yourself and how to fix it. Everyone in your audience has made mistakes.
Remember you are presenting it to your friends.
Good luck, and enjoy!

Back