• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Duplicating template

My son mentioned that Norm Abrams showed how to make a template for turning multiple items as railing ballusters on a lathe. I searched the NYW using several words and combination of words; got nothing.:( Does anyone know where I could get similar information?:confused: Thanks.

John, A duplicating template is nothing more than a drawing of the proosed turning which is made full scale. For best use the drawing is mounted on any stiff stock( plywood, poster board, etc.) and then mounted behind the turning . Placed behind your turning, the template will give a visual reference to the turning. It will also allow you to take measurements directly to your work. I hope this helps. Rich

Duplicator

Thanks for the replies. We have lots of cardboard that would work for a few pieces. All I have to do is clean off the pizza sauce and cheese! Seriously, you have made some great suggestions.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John I have to turn a lot of exact duplicates for replacement parts for people. by exact I mean you can measure them and they are, not just close enough you can't tell the difference when they are placed a few inches apart. I use 3 techniques. One is I take a lot of measurements. I have a lot of outside calipers and a dial caliper.
I put a full size drawing of the piece, or the original right behind it. This gives me a visual reference and I can either take direct measurements or I will have them written on the drawing.
Finally, as was said above. I make a full size cardboard or even better plastic cutout of the pieces. I cut out the negative part. This way I can actually lay the cardboard piece right on top of the new part and see exactly where I need to sneak up on the shapes. I use the measurements to get the detail locations and high and low points and then the cardboard to really fine tune the curves.
I tried a method where you put a cutout of the piece behind the lathe and then put a drawing behind that. By looking over the piece you are turning and the cutout and the drawing you can get really close by eye because the 3 layers cuts out parallax errors.

Back