• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Easy-Core Calculator

I wanted an easier and more efficient way to core using the Oneway Easy-Core.

I made a spreadsheet calculator that figures out layout of cores for both twice and once turned cores. It calculates base plate positions for different knives. The idea is a quick, simple, accurate way to maximize use of wood when coring without making mistakes. It works for both imperial and metric.

The purpose of this thread is to see how much interest there is in the Easy-Core Calculator. If enough turners want to use it I will spend the time to document, maybe even make a video.

I actually spent some time writing a JavaScript and SVG tool that visualizes the results of each cut based on parameters of the input blank and the knife size and position. I haven’t hosted it anywhere online yet and it’s far from polished, but if there’s interest, maybe I can get motivated to get it out there and potentially align with your spreadsheet so they use the same system of reference for the measurements!

Here's a teaser, in all its unpolished non-designer glory.
You input the positions at the bottom, and the cutter sizes are currently hard-coded to be the 9" and then 11.5" cutters. On the right, you can see what the "waste" bowl would look like, and the rest is left on the lathe for the next cut.

easy_core_teaser.png

Here's a teaser, in all its unpolished non-designer glory.
You input the positions at the bottom, and the cutter sizes are currently hard-coded to be the 9" and then 11.5" cutters. On the right, you can see what the "waste" bowl would look like, and the rest is left on the lathe for the next cut.
That is an interesting idea. You could use the output of the calculator as input for the visualizer. I can see benefit in seeing what your getting before the cut. The changing of knives will vary wall thickness and it would be nice to see that.

Well, I wouldn't use it. Probably from years of coring, and I do prefer the McNaughton, but I just do it, rather than think about it and figure it out by calculator.

robo hippy

I'm trying to put together something like that for my own use, so would be happy to see yours.

I wanted an easier and more efficient way to core using the Oneway Easy-Core.

I made a spreadsheet calculator that figures out layout of cores for both twice and once turned cores. It calculates base plate positions for different knives. The idea is a quick, simple, accurate way to maximize use of wood when coring without making mistakes. It works for both imperial and metric.

The purpose of this thread is to see how much interest there is in the Easy-Core Calculator. If enough turners want to use it I will spend the time to document, maybe even make a video.
I’m interested in this too!

Not nearly as sophisticated as a spread sheet but these pieces of plywood allow me to set the base thickness for each knife.

View attachment 57888
I have tried this and a laser and it works for getting a depth which is stage 1 of the problem of optimizing coring. You can lay out lines for the bowl diameters. I wanted something easier which would also make better use of the blank. Chris Ramsey's write-up of doing once turned cores and getting 11 bowls from one blank got me going on this.

Last edited:
Using Easy-Core with optimal wood use and time use and getting the core you want requires:
Coring from smallest to largest
Calculating the cores from largest to smallest
Being configurable for side wall and bottom thickness
A quick easy way to select knives and set the baseplate distances
Knowing what your getting before you start coring

I think the calculator does all that though the knowing what your getting could be better using Greg Mefford's visualizer

Here is the input of the Easy-Core calculator for a twice turned bowl:
SS_573.jpg
Blank height (no including tenon), blank diameter, side and bottom %, cutter does not change unless you have something custom, and head stock to front of chuck jaws.

Here is the output, Imperial rounded to tenths for readability:
SS_572.jpg

Legend for the colors:
SS_574.jpg

There is more info, just keeping it to the important bits now for ease of understanding.

Here is how it is used on the Lathe:
20231130_151257_Quarter.jpg
This picture is metric, so doesn't match the example above. I usually use metric because easier to read and less mistakes.
The wood plate fits tight over the bed rails and squares the base plate. It has the scale for the Baseplate From Center setting. Note the black sharpie mark on the base plate.
The tape measure is being used to set the Headstock to Far Side of Baseplate distance.

I have done some testing, needs more.

Interesting. I built a laser but have not fully tested it yet.View attachment 57890
Funny - I was just about to post the exact same idea, except I made mine from wood. Seems to work fine for what I do and it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation - no spacer blocks and awkward calculations, just make your diameter marks, line up the laser and check the back of the bowl.

Steve, interesting idea. What laser are you using? I need a replacement for my homemade hollowing one and the cheap "pen.pointer" style ones don't seem to last long.
Try using a laser for handguns or rifles - much more robust and seems to last a bit longer. Got mine for about $20.

Here is the complete sheet for a twice turned bowl. You don't really need much more that what I posted above. You can use the Cutter Radius Distance to mark lines on the front of the blank.
This one is all in metric:
SS_576.jpg

This is a progress update. Easy-Core Calculator had been tested twice turned cores and the performance of the calculator was sufficient. Just finished my first once turned natural edge bowl set. I would call it a success though there were some minor issue.

The material was a Bradford Pear log, kind of old been sitting around, was about 13” in diameter and about 14” long. I was successful in getting 6 cores from that though the outside bowl core was junk because of cracks from the log end.

The calculator setup was for 10mm (0.4”) sides and a bottom that varied from 12mm to 22mm (0.47” to 0.87”). The capability of varying the bottom with size was added as I figured larger cores would need larger tenons, the calculator interpolates the bottom thickness from small to large. All that is user specified.

Here are the initial cores(minus the 6th):

20231219_163456.jpg

Here are the finished bowls:

20240106_120851.jpg

20240106_121029.jpg

20240106_121004.jpg

Performance
The core calculations versus the resulting cored:

Side​
Bottom​
Cored Side​
Cored Bottom​
Delta Side​
Delta Bottom​
Bowl 1​
10.00​
24.00​
NA​
23​
-1​
Bowl 2​
10.00​
20.00​
10.5​
16​
0.5​
-4​
Bowl 3​
10.00​
18.00​
9.5​
17​
-0.5​
-1​
Bowl 4​
10.00​
16.00​
8​
12.5​
-2​
-3.5​
Bowl 5​
10.00​
14.00​
9.5​
14​
-0.5​
0​
Bowl 6​
10.00​
12.00​
NA​

Most of the numbers are pretty good. The problem area was the thickness of the core for Bowl 4 both side and bottom. That caused Bowl 4 to be pretty thin. The other number off was for Bowl 2 and I think that was caused by raising the cutter a bunch to get it finished with my binding knife 4 support.
The Bowl 4 issue was caused by a bad number for the radius of knife 1. Bowl 5 was cored with knife 1 and Bowl 4 used knife 2. The knife1 radius parameter was 2mm too low. I have corrected that and assume next time will be better.
Lesson learned, measure knife radius carefully.
I went back and remeasured everything. Yours might be different so best if you measure and set before using the calculator.

Once Turned Coring Procedure

Bowls 6 and 5 used knife 1, Bowl 4 used knife 2, Bowl 3 used knife 3 and Bowl 2 used knife 4.

For Bowl 2 and 3 cores a small step (mortise) was cut in the interior before coring so the bowl could be chucked to turn the outside and make a tenon. I think that could be done with the smaller ones too, just did not think of it at first. The step has to be shallow as there is not much wall thickness.

Each core had a small tenon, smaller in diameter than I would prefer, but it worked. Once the bowl was turned it was vacuum or jam chucked to turn the tenon into a foot.

Feel free to comment, offer suggestions, discuss etc.

Not ready to make public yet but think it is ready for outside testing. I am reasonably confident it works sufficiently well. All I am asking of testers is feedback on use, documentation, issues, suggestions.
Send me a message if your interested.

--sdc

That is just what I use. I have a plywood rectangle cut to size. If I really want to be correct, I will hold a carpenter square up to the edge of the spacer and the bowl blank. Works well.
The purpose of the calculator is not to get a position for depth of cut, it is to optimize the use of the wood.

Back