• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Epoxy crack repair

Here in the desert SouthWest green hardwood is a rare commodity and you tend to take whatever you can get… defects and all. In addition I have learned that local wood with a lot of color & figure often needs some type repair when turned. All the cracks I am talking about occurred during drying – the wood was defect free when green and safe to turn.

For a few smaller voids sawdust & superglue works great and you don’t have to wait overnight to get to a final surface, but for big cracks or a large number of defects thickened epoxy is the way to go. You add a thickening agent (I use West Systems 404 powder) to get the epoxy to a consistency of drywall spackle and just fill cracks/voids like you would repair drywall. Add color with dyes, pearlescent powders and/or glitter – let dry overnight then turn away the excess.

Here is a rough turned blank – pepper tree of some kind from a neighbors yard. Wood moved a lot when it dried resulting in lots of cosmetic defects but also 2 big structural cracks that must be dealt with before it is safe to put back on the lathe.

1705234313618.png

Sidewall crack has been repaired with epoxy colored with transparent yellow dye so you can see through the crack when complete. I have had best luck sealing wood for poured epoxy with clear packing tape that has a bead of hot melt glue around the perimeter sealing tape to the bare wood. Next step is to fill the bottom defect with another pour of colored epoxy.

1705234365579.png

Outside turned to final shape – time to repair all the surface cracks/voids…

1705234393567.png

Thickened epoxy is made opaque by the thickening agent so you might as well go with the vibrant colors of opaque dyes and pearlescent powders - here I chose orange. To stir/apply epoxy I use a wood tongue depressor with the rounded end trimmed off – by in bulk for next to nothing and toss when they get gunked up.

1705234421193.png

Outside cracks filled…..

1705234478861.png

Excess turned away and sanded….

1705234500846.png

Same for the inside – dried and ready to get rid of excess epoxy…..

1705234527824.png

Finished piece….

1705234553156.png

This process can add 2 days to the schedule as you have to wait overnight for the epoxy to setup before you can turn away the excess, but it does not take that much total time – to mix, color & apply epoxy for a severely cracked piece like this was maybe 20 minutes and about the same amount of time the next day to turn off excess.

If you have a nicely figured/colored once a once turned blank that has developed cracks when drying – fix it, don’t toss it on the firewood pile. I often take a few green rough turned blanks and leave them on my dark deck in the summer with surface temps >130 degrees with no coating just so they dry quickly – the more they crack the more color I can add when I fix it and I can have a finished bowl in a month or so vs waiting a year or more for the blank to dry.

I have a couple of rough turned in my to do pile that have cracks there when it was turned. I wasn't thinking and the whole thing was coated with green wood sealer.

Do you think the green sealer will affect the epoxy sticking inside the crack?

Not sure how I would get the sealer out of the crack. Heat?

Sam

They have fillers/thickeners for all kinds of purposes.. https://www.westsystem.com/filler-selection-guide-2/

the 404 filler I use is listed as best for gap filling and structural strength - it turns and sands well but I have not tried any other fillers so maybe others work even better

A tip I discovered is if you are filling a defect with sawdust then adding superglue or mixing it with epoxy - the hardener darkens the sawdust so it stands out against the lighter color wood background - but if you mix some white filler in with the sawdust you'll 'lighten' the color and get a better color match when making repairs

Back