• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finish after mineral oil

When I use Mineral Oil as a sanding lubircant am I limited to oil base finishes, or can I use wipe-on poly? If I can use wipe-on poly how long should the Mineral Oil dry before applying the poly? Will the Mineral oil change the color of the wood? So many questions! Thanks for the help.
jwavem

First, we need to be clear up that mineral oil will not dry, ever [relatively speaking].

Second, so long as the oiled surface has stopped weeping (small wet spots, etc. appear).

Then your poly, which is an oil-based finish, will go over the MO just fine. As it polymerizes, it will incorporate the MO into it's structure and seal the surface to the extent that poly will do so anyway.

If you want to get a bit of extra surface sealing, you can put on a couple of coats of 1 lb. cut dewaxed shellac as a binding/barrier coat, but this is purely optional and not needed.

M

Thanks Mark

Mark Mandell said:
First, we need to be clear up that mineral oil will not dry, ever [relatively speaking].

Second, so long as the oiled surface has stopped weeping (small wet spots, etc. appear).

Then your poly, which is an oil-based finish, will go over the MO just fine. As it polymerizes, it will incorporate the MO into it's structure and seal the surface to the extent that poly will do so anyway.

If you want to get a bit of extra surface sealing, you can put on a couple of coats of 1 lb. cut dewaxed shellac as a binding/barrier coat, but this is purely optional and not needed.

M

No, I didn't know poly was an oil finish. Ain't I smart.

Just To Be Sure

jwavem said:
No, I didn't know poly was an oil finish. Ain't I smart.

I said that, of course, because every wipe-on poly I've ever seen has been oil based. Thus if your container says "clean up with mineral spirits" rather than with "soap & water", you're good to go. If, however, it's water clean up, the shellac barrier coats become required, and you should increase the "cut" to 1-1/2 lbs., use three light, but even, coats, and allow to dry well (2 days min.) before applying the poly.

M

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
You did not say what the use was for. Mineral Oil can also be applied over a tung oil or urethane finish. For salad bowls a product called Preserve works great. We use Mineral Oil to maintain our butcher block. I do not recommend Mineral oil for an art bowl. GT

George,

He's using the MO as a sanding lubricant (I do also) rather than as a preservative. I, like you, use it for treenware, although I cook it with about 10% parafin.

M

Last edited:
I only use mineral oil when I'm making a bowl or vessel that is going to be used for food. As it doesn't dry and is completely non-reactive in the digestive system, this allows for light washing and reapplying regularly. In any piece that is for show, I stay away from it. As a sanding lubricant, I use water or slow drying eurythane oil, though you gotta watch the heat buildup cause it will start curing the oil and you can get gummy.

Dietrich

Back