• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing Old Cedar

I recently obtained some beautiful old growth Western Red Cedar burls and am having trouble obtaining an appropriate finish on it. I turned a small bowl and applied polymerized tung oil. Looked nice but too dark, somewhat obscuring the figure. Does anyone have a better finish/technique to minimize the darkening of the wood? Oil appears to be the culprit in this case. High satin or even gloss would be fine as long as the grain and figure were not hidden.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
If your willing to spray emtech makes 2 water based lacquers and a sanding sealer. EM6000 will slightly darken the wood but not as much as oil will. EM7000 will petty much stay water clear and not change the color of the wood but will make the grain more visible. Both work like a traditional lacquer that will dissolve a little bit of previous coats so no sanding is required between coats. I spray my turnings with an inexpensive detail spray gun from harbor freight. Specifically the one that comes with the regulator.

I don't like water based on cedar. That finish just looks too cold. Some even give the wood a blue tint. Lacquer or Artist Fixative would be my choice. Fixative is used to set chalk and pastel art work, so doesn't change color. It is a flat sheen.

I have never turned Western red cedar but have turned a lot of Eastern red cedar. It smell nice and its red but it is not my favorite. For one thing it is coarse with lots of tear outs. I have tried about everything finish wise on it and nothing is very satisfying. About the only thing I have found that comes close to bringing out the figure is wipe on oil based polyurethane.

If you’re trying to preserve the color and figure, my suggestion would be shellac and then lacquer. You could also go the water-based poly route.

I'm with Michael. I use a 1/2 lb cut of shellac as sanding sealer on just about everything. Then unless I want a penetrating oil finish, I'll use a base of 3/4 lb cut shellac with whatever I want over it for a finish coat. In your case lacquer would be a good choice, or if you don't want to spray, General Finishes Arm-R-Seal is a good oil based wipe on poly that doesn't change the color, goes on easily and is available in 3 or 4 different gloss levels.
Just my $0.02 and worth what you paid for it.

I use a lot of western cedar making Native American style flutes. I really like the finish from spray lacquer, though it must be done in a well vented area.
Nice flutes! Are they made as two horizontal pieces or do you have a system for drilling them out? I'm interested in hearing about your process.

Back