• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First time turning Cedar burl

I have a blank of cedar burl, with some inclusions that I was aware of and plan to include in the sides of the bowl. The outside went pretty much as expected When I started hollowing, an inch or so from the bottom I discovered an interior hole of rotten wood that looks like it may go the base tenon I was using to hold the piece - it did not break loose, but I suspect I would have gone through if I had tried to hollow it any further. I filled the hole, using shavings (mostly red dust!) and CA glue, until it was about an inch thick. Then, since I wanted to let it sit - and the wood is still pretty wet - I covered everything with Anchorseal and left it.

The questions I have (this is my first bowl with inclusions so bear with me, pls) are:

1: will the filled in area be strong enough, and not look too weird?

2: Since I put the Anchorseal all over everything, it filled in the inclusions. How do I clean them out and still leave the natural rough surface. Or would I be better just removing them (the walls are still pretty thick).

3: If I can leave the inclusions, should I plan on leaving the walls thick, or can I go pretty thin (under 1/4") like most of my bowls?

I probably should mention that the blank was 9" x 5".

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Stephen

Last edited:
Back