• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Floor Mats for Your Shop?

You are absolutely correct, learned that many, many years ago. If I walked all day hunting squirrels, my legs would kill me at night. I grabbed a pair of Dr. Shoals inserts and as luck would have it, I hit on exactly what my feet needed. Been a user ever since...just feels nice to have more cushion when I stand in one position for long periods of time.

Update to my last post, now have plenty of mats, bought what I thought was 70 1'x1' squares of interlocking mats from Marketplace that turned out to be 92 2'x2'x1/2" mats. These are yellow, red, green and blue, thought I was going to have to change the palette of my shop but noticed the back side is textured too and is 1/4" thick grey. These came with 2 boxes of edging. I always worry about used stuff but these were really clean,all look new and after setting in my truck all night there was no odor. I gave $25.00 for them, had to drive to Germantown, Tn. but pricing these seems to be around $6.00 each made the trip worth it, I notice someone else was selling some yellow ones the next day on Marketplace so may be a source for turners who don't mind used padding. I've turned all day on the grey ones and noticed a big difference in leg/ feet comfort.
IMG_1451 (1).jpg

My knees are starting to bother me and I'm wondering who uses mats on their concrete floors, what kind, how easy are they to clean etc? And, do they help your feet and knees? Thanks for your input and help.
Hi Drew,
I was in Costco yesterday and spotted a nice looking gray cushioned kitchen mat (1 x 24 x 30) for about $20. The 1.5" edges were tapered down to a thin edge so sweeping dust and shavings across it would be easy. I think the price tag had a picture of Martha Stewart on it. I put one on the floor and stood on it. Its very cushy and comfortable to stand on. I think I could easily stand on this mat for 6-8 hours and my back, knees and ankles would be fine. I wish it was 30 x 48... but oh well. I'm 67 yrs old and weigh 250 lb and if I didn't have two other mats I like I would have bought a couple of these for my lathe and workbench areas. The price is right. BTW... I almost bought a Hog Heaven mat online a year ago but didn't want to spend over $100 on it. The Costco mat was just as nice, only smaller and much much cheaper.

I use a GelPro garage mat from GelPro. Mine is 20X36 but they come in larger sizes. They are easy to move and are very comfortable. Mine is embossed with the Texas flag, of course. The link is: https://www.gelpro.com/Shop-by-Room/Garage.
My wife has two in the kitchen and they really help her.

Rubber industrial kitchen floor mats or shag carpet with padding underneath. Carpet remnants are cheap or free but will hold a bit of old sawdust. I am not fond of the cheap foam interlocking padding.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I use a GelPro garage mat from GelPro. Mine is 20X36 but they come in larger sizes. They are easy to move and are very comfortable. Mine is embossed with the Texas flag, of course. The link is: https://www.gelpro.com/Shop-by-Room/Garage.
My wife has two in the kitchen and they really help her.

This looks like a great mat, too......these thick spongy mats are terrific for your feet when standing hours at a time. Do not skimp on the cost here.....they are worth it!

-----odie-----

I broke down and paid dearly for a roll of this material from U-Line. They often have good stuff but never the cheap option. I set my lathe at an angle so I can turn on the backside if I need. After cleaning the floor thoroughly, I used gorilla tape to seal the matting to the floor, and seal any joints/seams. Prevents tripping over a loose edge and no chips get under it.

Attachments

• 91ED9D63-698A-4B57-AF74-1D4D4779728E.jpeg
    91ED9D63-698A-4B57-AF74-1D4D4779728E.jpeg
    661.7 KB · Views: 29
Back